New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSA Locks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I searched 14 pages here and a few under African Travel, how many use/recommend TSA locks on their gun case?

Situations/issues:

1. I am probably flying out of Dulles. I may originate in Pittsburgh, PA but may drive to Dulles.

2. If I do originate in Pittsburgh?

3. I don't like a lock with a master key; it isn't a lock anymore. Once crooks to include some TSA employees get a master key copied what good is it? Aren't gun cases inspected before they become checked baggage? Why should they need opened down the road once in the airline's control?

4. If TSA locks are used domestically, do you switch to private locks at the international terminal. I trust overseas airline employees even less than our own.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1620 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
My understanding was you do not use TSA locks on a gun case. Nobody, including TSA, is supposed to have access to the firearms.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not use TSA locks on gun cases per their regs.

Go to the hardware store and get a 4 pack of medium sized Master locks that are keyed alike.

Put 2 on the case and 2 in the case with your guns. That way if TSA has to cut your locks when not in your presence, they can be replaced and your gun will be shipped.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
The law says you need to secure your firearm in a strong case with a lock that can only be opened by you. I used a master lock, keyed.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
If you fly directly out of Dulles (I drive from Ohio to IAD) I can verify that the TSA will ask you to unlock and then lock your case in front of them.

No TSA locks on gun cases.. I carry a spare set just in case someone idiot agent decides there is a critical need to cut them off!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
airgun1

No TSA locks on your gun case. Do use TSA locks on your other luggage and ammo box.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

This has sparked a new question. Does the ammo in my luggage have to be in a locked case in the USA?

I thought that the South Africans required a locked ammo container?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1620 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
You know.. It seems to be a very subjective issue - varies by airlines and their mood maybe? To make life simple, I have a small pelican case that I put the ammo in and lock just in case..

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airgun1:
Thanks for the replies.

This has sparked a new question. Does the ammo in my luggage have to be in a locked case in the USA?

I thought that the South Africans required a locked ammo container?

I have found the most versatile way to deal with this is a locked Pelican case in my duffle bag. That way, if needed, I can take it out and check as its own piece of luggage or keep in my duffle.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Home Security love to cut off your locks for your own good and replace them with a zip tie.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
They definitely have an affinity for zip ties!!

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Keyed-alike locks on both the gun case, and also the other luggage case containing the (also locked) ammo case.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have found the most versatile way to deal with this is a locked Pelican case in my duffle bag. That way, if needed, I can take it out and check as its own piece of luggage or keep in my duffle.

I pack the same way.... I have had to check my ammo, as its own piece, coming home several times.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice. One caveat, tough: SAA and TSA did not weigh my ammo at Dulles. My ammo was weighed at Johannesburg before my flight to Harare. It was weighed in the case and my Boyt pistol case, though strong, was HEAVY. I had to reduce my ammo by 10 rounds of .375 H&H. I now use a Cabela's ammo box that weighs significantly less. Less weight = more ammo.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
drongo, so you are saying that they limited you to 11 pounds of ammunition AND the container?

Every regulation I have seen states that the weight limit of "ammunition" is 11 pounds, and I always weigh the ammunition separately from the case.

Although I have also heard Air France includes the container in the total weight (which does not surprise me Air France stinks).

I think this is BS, since we have discretion on what sort of containers to use and including the case in the 11 pounds is a disincentive to use a sturdy ammo box like the Boyt.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD999:
Keyed-alike locks on both the gun case, and also the other luggage case containing the (also locked) ammo case.

This is the way I do it as well.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I put TSA keyed locks on my ammo box which has always gone inside my duffle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
You CAN put a TSA lock on your gun case as long as you have the case locked by other means. It is pretty much superfluous and unnecessary but I don't think it is illegal to do so.

I had my ammo box in my regular suitcase last time with a TSA lock on it (as it is supposed to have) and the TSA went into my suitcase and opened and inspected my ammo (and left a tag inside indicating they had done so).

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
Here's how I do it:

Master locks keyed alike on the Pelican, or the integral lock on the Tuffpak, depending on which case I'm using.

Ammo in either factory boxes (I pack my handloads into factory boxes for the same caliber) or Franklin Arsenal plastic flip top boxes with wadded up TP on top of the ammo to keep it from rattling in the box, with electrical tape sealing the boxes shut. The boxes of ammo go into a Plano plastic field box with a TSA lock on it, along with my Leatherman and miscellaneous other small "valuables" (that aren't especially valuable). That locked field box has its own luggage tag on it and goes in my duffel, which is also locked with TSA locks.

This has never presented a problem for me despite dozens of trips to international hunting destinations.

In Joberg you may be asked to remove your ammo and check it separately from the rest of your luggage. Thus, you want a lock on that box with your ammo in it, and a tag with your name and address on it on that box. I've never had my ammo weighed anywhere, though I am occasionally asked by a gate agent whether I have less than the permitted weight.

Paying Gracy Travel to have Bruce Mduli or "Lucky" walk you through Tambo is worth more than it costs. I'm sure other "meet and greet" services are similar. You can do it on your own and save the money, but paying for these services means you'll be handled by a gate agent that won't make you check your ammo separately, or have your ammo weighed. At least in Joburg.

In Harare, Dar, Lusaka, et al there's a pretty good chance your ammo will be counted, but I've never had it weighed anywhere.

Anything truly valuable should be left at home. And if you have to bring it, it goes in your carry on.

A TSA lock alone on your gun case won't cut it. As others have said, the case is supposed to be locked and only you are supposed to have access. Anyone with a TSA key can access a case with just a TSA lock on it. That's why you stand there at TSA while they x-ray the case (what they're looking for I have no idea) - so they can open it using your key if they need to inspect it (which happens to me about 75% of the time if I'm using the Tuffpak and exactly 0% of the time using my Pelicans - I love the Tuffpak, but it's a pain at TSA).

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
BuffNut & all,
If you schedule so that your bags are checked straight through to Zim...you avoid the inspection as Tambo do you not???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote