Find
Notify
Tools

500 NE and 458 Lott killing power
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi!

I wonder if there is more killing power from a 500 NE than a 458 Lott. I have read somewhere that 458 Lott have almost the same killing power as 500 NE or maybe more.

Posts: 103 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both calibers, and if felt recoil in any way equates to killing power, the 500 NE is a league beyond the 458 lott.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
whichever you can put in a 6" circle at 100 yards offhand
jeffe

Posts: 38501 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, then for me it would be the Lott.

But for smacking a buff at 10 feet, I would prefer the 500.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
This is simply my opinion, as I have owned both, I think at 10 yds there is an advantage in the 500NE's favour! I doubt, however, the Buffalo, hit properly would be able to tell the difference!

These two cartridges are, though made for the same range of animals, designed for different types of use! The 458 LOTT is more versatile, in that it is better for general hunting, being a Bolt action in most cases, and the 500NE being most often chambered in a double rifle. Both are designed to back up a play be a client hunter, that may have gone wrong. That being said, if the rifle is used to avoid the animal getting away, then the 450 LOTT would be the best for the purpose, but if the job is to stop a charge, then the 500NE in a good double would certainly be "MY" choice! In a single shot both would be just about equal, with the 500NE still on top, by a little, IMO! [Confused]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote