Find
Notify
Tools

Two Questions........
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted
Which is easier to find in Africa. 404 Jeffrey or 416 Rigby ammunition?

Is a 404 sufficient for cape buffalo?

Thanks!

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I can't say which would be easier to find in Africa but the .404 and 416's are very similar ballistically. If you have a modern .404 you can load your ammo to .416 pressures and beyond with no probs. Standard .404 spec from the orginal Jeffery Spec list over 4000 lbs of energy. That will do the job on Buffalo just fine.

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Neither was common, at least in Zimbabwe, Tanzania, or South Africa when I was there.

My suggestion is to split your ammunition between two pieces of luggage and not worry about it.

The .404J is plenty for Cape buff; my PH in Tanzania used his (with RWS ammo) as backup in CAR and Tanzania, and he was quite pleased with it.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

It better be, I'm building one for that reason. Smiler

As far as bullets, I doubt you could find either one very easy, and if you did you'd pay big money. The Shops I've into in South Africa barely had 3006 bullets

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
L.G Harrisons in Harare stocks both. The Gun Shop in Windhoek, Namibia will order what ever you want but seldom carries large stocks...

If you are really worried ask your outfitter to pre order a box.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
But my PH, who I love and adore, who knows 17 different languages, can drink anyone under the table, made love to Madonna (but who hasn't?), is a really cool guy, and says the sun comes up in the west, and I believe him, says the .425 Westley Richards is the best round for buffalo, far better than the .416 Rigby or .404 Jeffery or .416 Rem.

But of late, I think my PH has been talking sh*t, 'cause the .416 Taylor is better than all of them.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
But my PH, who I love and adore, who knows 17 different languages, can drink anyone under the table, made love to Madonna (but who hasn't?), is a really cool guy, and says the sun comes up in the west, and I believe him, says the .425 Westley Richards is the best round for buffalo, far better than the .416 Rigby or .404 Jeffery or .416 Rem.

But of late, I think my PH has been talking sh*t, 'cause the .416 Taylor is better than all of them.

How can a PH, or anyone for that matter, withstand more than a day on safari with you and your sense of humor and sarcasm sofa

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
It's a task for sure. Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
You'll be lucky to find either. Do as Ganyana suggested and have your PH order in advance so that there will be some in camp when you get there. If your flight arrives on a Saturday evening and the ammo box didn't make, will you want to wait a couple of days until the gunshop opens to find out if they have some?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Now you're talking real business with your PH's .425 Westley. That eaxtra .019 inch of frontal area over the .416 Taylor is important. It makes a bigger hole with good bullet weight. It just might save your butt!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Mr. Soverns,

The .404 is plenty for buffalo. I wouldn't count on finding ammo of any kind in Africa on the spur of the moment. Take plenty, or arrange well ahead with your outfitter.

Good luck.

Yes Will, I have taken exactly ONE buffalo with the .404. He dropped most impressively upon impact of the .423 pill, (though he needed further persuasion moments later.) Therefore, 100% of my sample succumbed to the old workhorse, which makes me an expert! Razzer

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Besides the very slight difference in diameter, what is the difference between the .404J and the .425 W-R?

I very much like the sound of a .404J, but at least as far as custom rifles go, it seems to be the one calibre that causes so many problems...I think Ruger even come a cropper with this chambering in the past? It will be interesting to see how CZ get on when they chamber the 550 Magnum in it...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much difference in performance, I don't have the figures close by, by I think the the .425 runs a little faster if I recall correctly. You can make .425 cases from .404.
However, the .425 has a rebated rim to .30-06 diameter and causes feeding problems if the rifle isn't properly built, resulting in it being out of favor. In years past some of the African game depts. used it as an issue rifle. They tended to have long barrels which is out of favor today as well. I used it some in the '70s with no complaint.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll never regret using a 404 Jefferys, 416 Rigby or Remington, they are all fine Buffalo cartridges..I wouldn't figure on finding ammo for any of them in todays Africa.

As to the expense of brass and components it rates as: 416 Rem, 404 Jefferys, 416 Rigby in that order....

Federal is coming out with 404 loaded ammo and thats very good..CZ is coming out with a 404 rifle and thats good..The 404 is really in the race today it seems, because you can't keep a good man down...

Will,
"you love and adore your PH" DON'T TELL ME THAT!! GET BACK IN THE CLOSET! DAMN! eek2 jump

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote