Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser R93
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
For the past several months I have been putting together a Blaser rifle. The project is now complete, at least the first part anyway. I put it together on Prestige frame. The caliber is 9.3X62. It wears a Leupold Vari III 1.75X6 scope in Blaser's QD saddle mounts. This is my first Blaser and it is a superb rig. My Ruger Safari Magnum in .375 H&H is up for sale and I already have a line on a Blaser barrel in 30-06. This combination (9.3X62 and 30-06) would be a fantastic hunt the world combination.

The Mauser 98 is a fantastic rifle but it has been eclipsed by the Blaser. German design is amazing. The king is dead. Long live the new king!

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thebrewcrew
posted Hide Post
The last time someone stirred the Mauser pot with a Blaser spoon, it turned into about 6 pages of the most vitriolic language imaginable! It made me realize that when the shtf, I want to be on the same side as the Accurate Reloading guys, Blaser & Mauser, because they are passionate about what they shoot with. That said, I sold all my turnbolts and went Blaser R93 a long time ago! They've been to Africa, Gunsite, and everywhere in between, and do just fine, thank you.

"He who goes unarmed in paradise
had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Posts: 33 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 23 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a few guys (who have my respect) here on AR swear by the Blasers, so when I attended the DSC show in January, I bought one in 7X57. I haven't had time to load for it, or shoot it, but I'm expecting great things from this rifle. The sheriff in the county where I live is a great hunter & shooter, and he says amazing things about the R93 that he uses (like sub-MOA accuracy out to 300 yds.). All this being said, and me owning an R93, I still can't figure out why they should cost over $3,000 - they're plastic & synthetic - but what do I know.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Beller:

All this being said, and me owning an R93, I still can't figure out why they should cost over $3,000 - they're plastic & synthetic - but what do I know.

Frank, mine is wood but I agree. You have to really want one to buy one because I also think they are really pricey.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of thebrewcrew
posted Hide Post
Part of the price is the extra hard steel of the barrel, part is the PERFECT interchangeability, part is the wonderful trigger, and the other part must just be profit for the Germans.

"He who goes unarmed in paradise
had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy shooting all different kinds of rifles but always pick my Blaser when going on a hunt. I have six complete rifles and twelve extra barrels. One system from .223 to .416 remington and pretty well everything inbetween.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
So, what else is new? Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thebrewcrew
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is quite a Blaser collection. Are those LRS' fun enough to shoot to make up for what looks like a difficult gun to carry around?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are those LRS' fun enough to shoot to make up for what looks like a difficult gun to carry around?

I don't pack mine very far. They really shoot well from the prone position with a bipod. I keep one on the porch of the lodge at the ranch for shooting coyotes. During deer season I place gutpiles on the sendero's and wait for the coyotes and bobcats to come for a snack.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot one as well for the past 2 years. Very accurate guns. Killed a coyote at 512 yards this year and lots of critters around that range. The only thing I don't like on them is that the rubber pad on the stock is really hard rubber and I think I might get something to ease the kick on mine.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I can barely call myself a Blaser owner in comparison to M16, but I do have 2 Professional stocks and 3 barrels (two are 9.3x62's and one is a 308 Tracker).

I am seriously considering thinning my gun safe due to the fact that my Blasers are all that ever come out to play.

Dave
I am glad you finally got you gun put together.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Jeff:

When I started doing this, Ron told me it would be an addiction. I think he is right Wink

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Amazingly, everyone that tries a Blaser ends up ONLY using a Blaser .....

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I correct in my understanding that the R93 is a straight-pull bolt?

Posts: 130 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sergeant_Sabre:

Yes

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's enough money laying on TX concrete to pretty much hunt whatever you want. Whew! Then you've got Oz showing off his wood again. I still don't understand what that wood overlay on the action is...just a thin veneer or a little snap in section?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still don't understand what that wood overlay on the action is...just a thin veneer or a little snap in section?

They are inserts replacing the (more) regular aluminium inserts.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sergeant Sabre - you must be a Yooper Smiler Just kidding.

Yes, the R93 is straight pull.

I kinda would like to have an R93, but need an excuse to get one, keep the comments coming. My Blaser, a BD880, is no longer made, but it is mighty fine, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote