Find
Notify
Tools

Help Kathi...or somebody!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted
I pulled a boner and seem to have lost my passport! I have thrashed every place I can think of and it's gone. I downloaded the form to report it lost and spent 1.5 hours on hold trying to find out if I can just take that form, along with my application for a new one, my photos, and other required documents, and just go apply for a new one in a single appointment, or do I need to do two seperate transactions?

Just when it seemed like everything was going smoothly!!!! Grrrr

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Mark, I realized one week before my trip in March that my sons passport had expired. We went to a local passport office (at the post office), had the pictures taken, the application completed, and the folder sealed. I sent it via next-day to an agency in DC that had it processed and back to me two business days later. So it is possible to have all this expedited (cost was like $150, but I needed express service, other options are available), and I was told at the local office that I could have made an appointment at the regional office (Phila) and had everything done there (keep calling your local office and have them direct you). I found some good step-by-step info on-line by googling "passport services" and Kathi and/or others may have specific suggestions.

Here is the place that I used, and again, you can do this yourself at a regional office, but I would caution against using normal processing as the lead times are long at this point.
A Briggs Passport & Visa Expeditors: http://www.abriggs.com/passports/lost_stolen.php
EDIT: Just saw that they are "NOT CURRENTLY ACCEPTING ORDERS"

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill!

Because of my close proximity to the Mexican border, I was told the line was about 3-4 hours at the local office since the law changed about crossing over the border down here. I could not find ANY information about whether or not I could report a lost passport and apply for a new one at the same appointment.

If I spend 4 hours in line, only to find that I needed to file the lost PP report two weeks before applying for a new one, I'll most likely unload about 250# of fury on whoever is nearby..

For the life of me, I cannot find anything on line that addresses this specific question.

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Best of luck getting everything straightened out.
Russ

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used VIP Passport Services in the past with great results. Here is a link: VIP

I'll try to look, but I think the area you might run into a problem with is yours being lost. With everything going on these days, I don't know if that might be more hassle than it used to be.

Good luck and if I find anything unusually useful, I'll let you know.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Call me or pm me your number and I will call you.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Depending on the time constraints, you might find that your local Congressman or Senator can get passport things done fairly quickly as well.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote