New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chirisa????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at booking my first dangerous game hunt with HHK in Chirisa for August 09.

Have any of you hunted with HHK or in Chirisa for that matter.

The Hunt is primarily for buffalo and maybe Waterbuck Zebra and Bushbuck if time allows.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you in three weeks time. I am leaving this friday and return end of October. Will hunt in both Chirisa and Sengwa research areas..

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it may be worth to you - I hunted buff in Chirisa about 15 years ago. (Successful hunt) Quite varied country and you'll see mesas, plains, pasture, some fantastic looking baobab trees and lots of scenery we just don't have in the States! Lots of zebra when I was there. Don't remember waterbuck or bushbuck sightings but then I wasn't looking for them. (Took a zebra. A very tough critter to put down) I was there in first week of May -and can recommend that time slot. First off, temperatures are way down and I don't remember anything much above low to mid 80s even at high noon. (At night I slept under a light blanket) There are waterholes everywheres (formed in the rainy season which ends around middle of April as I recall). It means that while you still can do a lot of walking, that opportunities seem to pop up more easily. Just my own recollection. There were leopard opportunities often. (At night, after my PH had educated me, I often heard the cough of a leopard at the foot of the low hill where the camp was) Saw a trophy sized sable on my first day in camp (or so my PH said it was) Lots of kudu and you'll see impala so often you'll hardly look after a while. Lots of warthog and baboons. If Chirisa is still the same you will have a truly varied African experience. Best of luck and show the PH that Texans know how to shoot! Smiler

Posts: 46 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
JTEX,

I hunted buff and ele in Chirisa last November. Had a great time and the HHK camps are top notch. Saw several nice waterbuck as well. I would go back there without reservation.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add -and I don't know how I could have overlooked them -I saw lots of elephant in Chirisa -and thought they were the most impressive beast I had ever seen. I don't care if you have seen pictures or films of elephants a thousand times before - Believe me, there is nothing like the first sight of a matriarch elephant at about 50 yards giving that trumpeting scream. Her sheer size dumbfounded me. (When you see an African elephant on its own ground, it's their sheer size that is surprising) The PH said she had mounted a "mock charge" (she had closed from about 100 yards away) I told him that if that was a "mock charge" I sure as hell didn't want to see the real thing! I always have thought ever since that elephant hunters would not be overgunned if they used a bazooka!

Posts: 46 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can book with them for Charisa with complete confidence in game numbers, PHs, camp quality and service. I have hunted there three times with them and all were very very successful. You will have agreat hunt.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
I have twice hunted with HHK , they are a solid company. You will be in good hands.

Ahmed Sultan

one of us
posted Hide Post
JTEX,

I have been to Chirisa twice. August 2000 my husband was hunting lion/buffalo and was successful on both. Buffalo was a little over 40 inches with heavy bosses.

March 2007, buffalo for me and elephant for my husband. I did not get my buffalo but it was not due to lack of buffalo or effort. A shift in wind, very, very, heavy bush at that time, and just plain old bad luck. I will say that the buffalo seemed to be a lot less spooky in March than August. We did see and video a lot of buffalo. My husband was successful on elephant.

There are a lot of waterbuck and zebra in the area.

We have hunted with HHK four times and found them to be an EXCELLENT company.

Good luck on wherever you decide to hunt.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must have spent an hour writing down details of my Chirisa hunt this past August,only to accidentally erase it.In short,I think it's a great place for buff.I like buff that have a classic drop and curl and I believe they are here.I think there is a chance of getting a really nice one if you hunt hard.You will see lots of ele.There are nice kudu,and impala,many bushbuck but not all shootable,same for waterbuck.I think you will have a good chance for these and buff.There are not many zebra on quota and you may not see any on your hunt.I saw none and the two other guys who were there for 19 days saw only a couple.I suggest you ride on the back of the cruiser and get ready to shoot fast because finding shootable plaingame is not that easy.There is also a good chance of seeing just about anything cross the dry Sengwa river bed.We saw baboons crossing,a lion track,female leopard track(heard her too).

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't even think twice about it! HHK is fantastic in every fashion and Chirisa is solid all around hunting area! Good Luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with HHK twice, once in Chirisa and once in Lemco. I have found HHK to be as good as one can get in a safari company. You will be in good hands.

Hoot Murray

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. I just mailed the check for a 10 day Buffalo hunt.

Now I just gotta wait 10 months......it's gonna kill me!

Hopefully we can find a Waterbuck, Bushbuck and Zebra to go along with the Buff.

Damn.....10 months seems like a long time.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted there this year in June shot a great old dagga boy had a great time.Nice camps,camp manager and his wife are doing a fantastic job.Look up zhabas huntinf pictures on this form posted by ozhunter and you will see the buff i got.good luck

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would love to shoot a Chirisa lion,but only if I worked hard for it.Also,I think Chirisa buff have more character than any other.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote