Find
Notify
Tools

African Hunt $$ ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
Ok here is the dilema. I have wanted to hunt Africa since I was an early teenager. Now I am in the process of getting a couple things going on the side to increase my income. Legal side stuff that is.
Anyway I have decided that in the next couple years I want to hunt africa even if I have to borrow the money.

I am also willing to pay a little more to hopefully hunt a truly wild place.
Here is the list of animals that I want to hunt pretty much in order of most preferred

1. Cape Buffalo, this one is a must period
2. Kudu and/or Gemsbok
3. Eland
4. Red Hartebeest
A couple others maybe if they happen along. but the above is my list for right now.
Approximately how much could I do a hunt for the above animals?

And south Africa is more than likely last on my list unless it is a truly wild area

Okay lets make one change to the list. Go with the Kudu and leave off the Gemsbok unless there is some type of oryx in the area.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
That's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string...... there are so many variables it's impossible to give an accurate answer.

You really need to do a lot more research and as part of that you might like to visit www.shakariconnection.com where you'll find all the research tools and advice you'll need to research an African hunting safari..... the only thing you won't find there is sales pressure/bumph.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
Ok here is the dilema. I have wanted to hunt Africa since I was an early teenager. Now I am in the process of getting a couple things going on the side to increase my income. Legal side stuff that is.
Anyway I have decided that in the next couple years I want to hunt africa even if I have to borrow the money.

Here is the list of animals that I want to hunt pretty much in order of most preferred

2. Kudu and/or Gemsbok
3. Eland
4. Red Hartebeest
A couple others maybe if they happen along. but the above is my list for right now.

Also what would be an approximate taxidermy cost for these animals?
And south Africa is more than likely last on my list unless it is a truly wild area

Take advantage of the great deals for Buffalo with the best PH's in Zimbabwe now. Screw the Gemsbok.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Screw the Gemsbok.

Isn't that illegal?

Even if it's not, you'd better look out for those pointy horns.

animal animal animal animal animal animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve is right. Your question is like asking what a car costs. There is a wide range.

If you want some of those animals (gemsbuck and red hartebeest) it does limit you geographically as they are not in as many locations as kudu or eland for example.

I may be wrong but I don't think you will find the gemsbuck or red hartebeest in any country except RSA, Namibia & Botswana. To take those then buffalo may well require a change in camps. That in and of itself can be costly.

If I were you and wanted a wild area, I would give up the red hartebeest and try Zim. Likely in the Save.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mozambique is about as wild as you'll get for a "reasonable" amount of money. There are parts of Zim where you could accomplish your list as well for less money, but watch the areas...get a good recommendation from someone here. As for cost, you might want to use (if you're not already) a credit card that will accumulate airline miles to try to cover the costs of the airfare...about $1,900 or so. Also, some outfitters will reduce their daily rates early or late in the season when bookings are in less demand. A late-season hunt is often a value, as tags not used by the outfitter by then are often put out at fire sale prices.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although pricey...Tanzania offers Cook's and Lichtenstein hartebeest and Fringed eared Oryx. Both of these are very similar to the red hartebeest and gemsbok.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

2. Kudu and/or Gemsbok
3. Eland
4. Red Hartebeest

Take advantage of the great deals for Buffalo with the best PH's in Zimbabwe now. Screw the Gemsbok.

After thinking about it I do agree that leaving off the Gemsbok is a good idea

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
As D.Nelson so rightly points out some countries have slight variations that might be worth considering.

Another example is Uganda which has the Jackson's Hartebeest and the much sought after lesser kudu.

One piece of advice I will offer is that if this is to be a once in a lifetime thing, you should probably only consider an unfenced true wilderness area....... Ummmmm and maybe don't bet on the fact it'll be a once in a lifetime thing! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
As D.Nelson so rightly points out some countries have slight variations that might be worth considering.

Another example is Uganda which has the Jackson's Hartebeest and the much sought after lesser kudu.

One piece of advice I will offer is that if this is to be a once in a lifetime thing, you should probably only consider an unfenced true wilderness area....... Ummmmm and maybe don't bet on the fact it'll be a once in a lifetime thing! rotflmo

Well im hoping that in the next 5 years or so I will be able to go once a year. However that being said I want to at least go

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To do a hunt like the one you're talking I'm thinking all in you will need somewhere around 20-25k and that would be everything from the moment you purchase the tickets to hanging your cape buff on the wall.

Does anyone think that's a reasonable amount?

I agree late season hunts are cheaper, but hard to plan for, most people can't just take off on a whim for 10-14 days.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve's right for once UGANDA is the place I would suggest but I like it cause i just got back from there and loved every min of it

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
IMHO, Cape buff, kudu, and eland for relatively low dollars puts you in Zim.

Hartebeest and gemsbuck can be swapped for waterbuck, impala, warthog, bushbuck, blue wildebeest, duiker, klipspringer, zebra to name a few.

Spend a few more bucks and you might be able to book a sable and buff combo.

I'd go with a good operator in the Save.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Maybe in Botswana you could find all those animals in the same place??? I'm not sure. Otherwise I'd forget about the gemsbuck and maybe sub a red for another subspecies of hartebest depending on where you look.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
IMHO, Cape buff, kudu, and eland for relatively low dollars puts you in Zim.

Hartebeest and gemsbuck can be swapped for waterbuck, impala, warthog, bushbuck, blue wildebeest, duiker, klipspringer, zebra to name a few.

Spend a few more bucks and you might be able to book a sable and buff combo.

I'd go with a good operator in the Save.

Haven't been to the Save, but for a combo cape buff/plains game, I don't think you could beat it.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Already mentioned, but the Gemsbok and Hartebeast mostly occur where free-ranging Buff don't. You could do Kudu, Eland, Gemsbok,and Hartebeast in South Africa or Namibia very easily and probaby for under $12k door to door excluding shipping and mounting of trophies. Not many Buff in those areas though.

If Buff, Kudu,and Eland are musts it seems your options are Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique and Ugunda (I don't know anything about Ugunda but it's been mentioned). Tanzania and Botswana are options of course but the $$s will be a lot higher. I haven't looked at Zambia's prices lately, but either Zim or Moz would price out like this:

10 days @ $1,000 = $10,000
Buffalo = $3,000
Kudu = $1,200
Eland = $1,500
Airfare = $2,500
Tip = $1,500
Road Transport = $500
Taxes = $500
Dip/Pack = $500
Shipping = $1,500

The numbers may go a little bit either way, but that's $22,700 all in except taxidermy.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also wanted to mention that those costs are generally spread over about 3 years, so you don't have to write a check all at once.

Book your hunt with 1/2 daily rate deposit a year or 18 months in advance.

Buy airline tickets a year in advance.

Pay rest of hunt cost and most everything else at time of hunt.

Pay shipping 6-9 months after hunt.

Pay taxidermy 12-18 months after hunt.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

2. Kudu and/or Gemsbok
3. Eland
4. Red Hartebeest

After thinking about it I do agree that leaving off the Gemsbok is a good idea

My advise is go for the best your money can buy and hunt only for your priority animal. The rest will come later. For Buffalo - Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe, the latter probably offering the best deals today. The general opinion here would seem to be the Save but I do not know of it.

The classic hunting areas for buffalo here in Zambia are the Zambezi and Luangwa valleys and for my money I would go with a PH named Doug Reynolds in the Lower Zambezi.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrademarkTexan:
Already mentioned, but the Gemsbok and Hartebeast mostly occur where free-ranging Buff don't. You could do Kudu, Eland, Gemsbok,and Hartebeast in South Africa or Namibia very easily and probaby for under $12k door to door excluding shipping and mounting of trophies. Not many Buff in those areas though.

If Buff, Kudu,and Eland are musts it seems your options are Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique and Ugunda (I don't know anything about Ugunda but it's been mentioned). Tanzania and Botswana are options of course but the $$s will be a lot higher. I haven't looked at Zambia's prices lately, but either Zim or Moz would price out like this:

10 days @ $1,000 = $10,000
Buffalo = $3,000
Kudu = $1,200
Eland = $1,500
Airfare = $2,500
Tip = $1,500
Road Transport = $500
Taxes = $500
Dip/Pack = $500
Shipping = $1,500

The numbers may go a little bit either way, but that's $22,700 all in except taxidermy.

I was thinking Buffalo hunt daily fees were less than 1K day. Is 1K day the going rate for Buffalo?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There's not really any such thing as a 'going rate'

You really need to look at the total cost because different countries and indeed companies cut the cake up differently.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod- Why don't you pull up the web sites of several outfits in the Save and see what the rates are. Humani,Roger Whittall's outfit would be a good place to start. There are about eight others I think,some already listed in this post. See exactly what the day rates are and the trophy fees and then you can compare and begin to get an idea of costs.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
If you schedule allows you to be able to leave on short/shorter notice and you want to get the most for your money, I'd recommend saving up your money then looking for a cancellation or late season hunt. Do your research so you know which countries/areas you're interested in, as well as which PH's/outfits have good reviews and track records. Then watch for good deals.

Some of the deals I've seen this year, with very reputable outfitters in first class areas....makes me wish I was a little less responsible.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ANDREW RENTON
posted Hide Post
I agree with Eyedoc,roger whittal is the best for those species you require,best of all they are all good hunting animals ,wont be easy but worth it!!!

Posts: 51 | Location: eastern cape,south africa | Registered: 17 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
Shangaan Hunters, or Mokore Safaris in the Save Valley. Superb camps , top notch PHs and staff and almost everything on your wish list......AND I happen to know that it is a shortish drive to areas in SA where you could easily bag your red Hartebeeste and Gemsbok............like 4 hours.

Contact Glenn Stockil at Shangaan and get him to give you a quote. You wont regret it

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod
Zim will give you the best value for money without a doubt.
If you want to hunt Buff, Kudu and Eland in an outstnding and very wild setting I would suggest Makuti with CM Safaris. The outfit is first class and the area just doesn't get any wilder. Search for past reports here on AR.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Cape Buffalo in December of 2008 with Myles McCallum of www.cmsafaris.co.za. We saw several groups of Eland, and some Kudu whilst chasing buff.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
I'd look at one of the Namibian outfitters that has hunts in the Caprivi. You could get your buff there and get the rest of the animals elsewhere in the country.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
If you want wild Africa with Buff, Kudu, Eland Hartebeast etc. Then check out www.kambakosafaris.com in the wild north of Mozambique.
May I ask when you are looking at going?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
If you want wild Africa with Buff, Kudu, Eland Hartebeast etc. Then check out www.kambakosafaris.com in the wild north of Mozambique.
May I ask when you are looking at going?

Thanks for the link. I will look into them. have you hunted with them before?
Honestly im looking hopefully within 24-36 months. Possibly sooner but doubt it.

Would be very nice if these safari operators would learn how to put their prices on their websites

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla69:
I'd look at one of the Namibian outfitters that has hunts in the Caprivi. You could get your buff there and get the rest of the animals elsewhere in the country.

After reading the initial post with the wish list species, the above post was my immediate thought. Hunt the buff in the Caprivi and move for the rest of the species in a second location. Several good PH's on this board for such a hunt: Vaughan Fulton, Karl S., etc.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote