South African guest house
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
delete

Posts: 54 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TTH, there have been a couple of threads on this very topic. Do a search and find them. It seems a 50/50 dead heat at the moment.
JCHB

Posts: 423 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have not heard anything but good about both places.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Flip a coin and you will be happy either way.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from a South Africa safari. Africa Sky got my wife and I through customs and immigration, as well as through the firearms importation and permit process. After the safari, we were heading back to the airport from camp when my PH realized that we'd be back quite early, and would have to wait much of the day at the airport. The people at Africa Sky offered to have us hang at the guest house for several hours, have lunch, and they then brought us to the airport, and helped with getting our luggage and firearms onto the plane home. The guest house is very impressive, and I was impressed with the professionalism of all of the Africa Sky employees. Hope that helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have stayed at Afton several times. I have had pleasant stays on all occasions however i will share my observations if you care to read on.
On two occasions I paid the money and sent them all details so they could assist with rifles coming into country. On both occasions pick up was late and I sorted the whole lot out myself and was waiting with rifles and luggage when they arrived for pick up. After that I did it myself.
Rooms are clean and comfortable and food is good.
Watch out for the son in-law who will offer you a steak dinner and then afterwards put his hand out for $25.00. My last visit was in 2012 so this may not be the case now.
If you are like me and after 14 or so days you are tired of red meat then don't be afraid to ask to be taken to the local Mac Donnald's for a chicken or fish burger, the ladies were happy to assist and it was a nice change.
I do enjoy the meal times as there is a lot of very excited hunters coming in or going out and it is great to listen to their stories or their anticipation of a future adventure.
Cheers Stu

One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
I've stayed at both and prefer Africa Sky due to better menu at meals.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Both are nice and relaxing. The hotel at the Joburg airport is also very nice-and close. tu2

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I've stayed at both. I'll be staying at the African Sky Guest House henceforth.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never stayed at Afton, but was at Africa Sky this past April. Couldn't ask for more....pickup and return in timely manner, SAPS clearing, great steak dinner, great breakfast, clean, nice comfy rooms, I'd stay there again in a heartbeat, and will......next year. A++ professional service all the way around. Oh, and they have a USA bank account (Bank of America) in which you can directly deposit your money into to avoid sending cc#'s, Swift transfers, etc. Too easy.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Africa Sky. Excellent service, rooms and menu. The lamb chops were great. Honor system bar on the veranda. Safe and relaxing.

I will use them again.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice Smiler

Posts: 54 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
They are all excellent

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only been over the pond to Africa once, with Namibia being our destination. ( May 2013)
My wife and I stayed at Africa Sky and they did the Gun Permit, Airport pickup and return, lovely room, Fantastic diner and breakfast. Could not have asked for more. GREAT people!!!
My son-in-law and grandson stayed with them the year before and had nothing but great things to say about them.
If I'm lucky enough to hunt Africa again, Africa Sky will get my business.

MauserK98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
We stayed at the ASGH on our way to the BVC in 2013, pictures in the report below. It was great.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
I just don't understand why you would want to leave the airport, stay in a guest house room have limited food options[and expensive] and then drive back the next morning when there is great accommodation and food all within the airport complex.
The gun permit thing is dead easy to do yourself, can't see whats so difficult, just print out the SAPS 520 on line and fill it in, there are even sights that explain which sections to fill in.
You can stay at City Lodge for $120 a night or if you want luxury stay at the Intercontinental. Is dead easy and makes the transiting of SA a simple process.

cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Guys,
I just don't understand why you would want to leave the airport, stay in a guest house room have limited food options[and expensive] and then drive back the next morning when there is great accommodation and food all within the airport complex.
The gun permit thing is dead easy to do yourself, can't see whats so difficult, just print out the SAPS 520 on line and fill it in, there are even sights that explain which sections to fill in.
You can stay at City Lodge for $120 a night or if you want luxury stay at the Intercontinental. Is dead easy and makes the transiting of SA a simple process.

cheers

Nick

I stayed at City Lodge in May 2014. Nice place, great breakfast. One thing I did not like was walking around a relatively empty feeling airport looking for airport food. After a 15 hour flight, I really enjoyed walking around the grounds of Africa Sky, eating a fantastic steak dinner, and drinking a few Castle's around a fire pit with other hunters.

I've also heard that the SAPS deal is easy, but when stuff goes wrong, it's nice to have an ally on your side to sort things out. This past April, we happened to enter the SAPS office at a shift change. Being Africa, nobody had a clue where our rifles were. I went with the Africa Sky rep to another office or two to verify that our rifles were in fact in the airport somewhere, which they were, but since the shift workers didn't really give a ratsazz about our rifles (more concerned with leaving), the rifles were left somewhere in "the back" and obviously the new shift workers didn't give a crap either. The AS rep grabbed one of the SAPS guys and they went in the back somewhere for about 15 minutes and got my rifle. I have no clue what would have happened in that instance if I had tried it solo.

I felt the $290 for room and board, SAPS, airport shuttle, beef filet steak dinner, 3 or 4 beers, and a hot cooked to order breakfast was worth every penny personally.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've stayed at all four places-City Lodge, Intercontinental, Africa Sky, Afton House a number of times and enjoyed them all. In addition to the evening meals at AS and AH, both the IC and CL have very nice dinner and breakfast buffets, negating the need to search for food in the airport. There's usually a number of hunters at each to enjoy conversation with. tu2

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at both Afton House and AfricaSky. I prefer the ambience, food and overall setup of AfricaSky. I haven't stayed at any of the areas within the airport but for me I like getting away from the airport and being outside. It's nice to sit by the fire and also if you wake early it is nice to walk the grounds and listen to the birds.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 884 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at just one....African Sky

I have no reason to ever try anything else.

Large clean comfortable room with a large courtyard.

The meet and greet with pre approved gun permit and shuttled to the guest house then back through all the airport rigamaroo the next day.

Great meals and kind people.

African Sky Guesthouse

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Africa Sky.

I have seen enough airport hotels in my life, getting out and seeing something, anything, is better.

Having a local get you on your outbound plane helps too. The Air Botswana clerk seemed clueless, but Godfrey basically told her how to do her job and walked her (and me) through the process.

Hunting in Africa is expensive and can be stressful. An extra $100 or so to smooth out the bumps on end of a 16 hour flight and a 10-20K+ trip is just background noise.

YMMV.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
I've stayed at both, and prefer the ASGH. Professional, relaxing, friendly. If I stay with them, I also have them assist with the SAPS 520.

If the flight has a late arrival, however, stay at one of the hotels attached to the airport.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stayed at Afton house about five years ago, and it was fine, but at that time, for me, they didnt help at all with my guns or the SAPS 520.

I met the after I had guns in hand and had cleared everything. (Which went luckily went fine with no problems.)