THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Thuraya Phones in Zimbabwe - YES/NO ?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thuraya Phones in Zimbabwe - YES/NO ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
Has anybody used the Thuraya Satellite Phones successfully in Zimbabwe, and specifically the Zambezi Valley?

Thanks!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bill,

According to their map, they do not cover this area.

Coverage

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The company I rented mine from for Zim last year said iridium only... and they had both available.

FYI - it worked great.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Iridium works great in the Valley.

Posts: 402 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I was hoping their coverage was greater then the map indicated, and that somebody might have practical experience. I used Iridium twice in the Zambezi, but their signal strength, duration of signal and quality of voice are not up to the level of the Thuraya (which is near cellular quality).

But then, it's better then no signal at all! Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The inmarsat phones work pretty much anywhere - including the US - a little larger and heavier, but well worth the effort IMO.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
I am very amazed Thuraya is covering Europe too.
I was most pleased in the middle of jungle in the CAR to have the opportunity to chat with my wife. A great accomplishment and easier than the iridiums at camp.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
An old post but I'm looking for an up date on info on THURAYA and INMARSAT.
Regards,

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I thought the phone Buzz had in Dande last year was a Thuraya??? My Iridium has worked wonderfully there every time.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Tim, the boys at www.kambako.com use the THURAYA and I'm considering buying one at the moment but have been told to also look at the ISATPHONE PRO from INMARSAT.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Talking to Andy Cool at Explorer Satellite here in the US, he said they are having great luck with the ISATPHONE in Africa. The reason I didn't buy that one is because it doesn't work in Alaska and norther Canada, and I am there a good bit. The price is great on that phone...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I thought the phone Buzz had in Dande last year was a Thuraya??? My Iridium has worked wonderfully there every time.

I would not let that be the deciding factor for you. Seems like more often than not, Buzz ends up borrowing my Iridium phone to make calls. Maybe he is just trying to scam my minutes. Eeker

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own the new Iridium. It works great.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used a Thuraya phone in the Luangua in 2009 and it worked, but not well. It seemed we had a lot of trouble getting and keeping a good signal. Last year in Tanz we took the new Iridium and it worked great.

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In 2009 we had quite a bit of a problem with Thuraya in Tanzania - and even worse with Inmarsat.

Last year, however, Thuraya worked like a charm. We never had a single dropped call, and their sat modem worked great too. It has a wireless facility, so everyone was able to log in at their leasure wirelessly.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote