New
Find
Notify
Tools

You pick and tell us why
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You are headed to Zimbabwe to Dande North. You are going to hunt buffalo.

I am going to give you your choice of a new, in the box, Winchester Model 70 (South Carolina, FN made) or a Remington 700 in any configuration you like - in a .375 H&H with a 1.75 x 6 scope.

Which do you want and why?

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Model 70. I prefer controlled round feed and the three position safety. Big Grin I have both makes, but Winchester is far and away my favorite, and the vast majority of my rifles are Model 70's, or are built on the Model 70 action. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have only used a Winchester before (largest thing I used it on was a tuskless) and it did not let me down. Remains my first choice. In fact, that is what I am holding in the photo below.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Winchester in that caliber and type of gun.
I've used a Win. Stainless in 375 for the past 10 years and just this last year had 375 H&H rifle built by Brown Prescion with a Winchester action.
The SS shot any 300 gr bullet well, but the new one is a real serious tack driver.

Posts: 443 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do I have to go to Dande?

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:

There's always one.

Remington. More of the money stays in the states.

I own both, although neither brand in .375. I have a pre-64 Win. that is surreal in it's accuracy.

I've killed way more game with a run-of-the-mill Remington than any other brand. However, the ability of the bolt to turn on the Remington in the "safe" position was a hard-learned lesson.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:

No, for you, and you alone, you can go to the Save.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the 2, I will take the Winchester. CRF is the main reason. I can take or leave the 3 position safety. I think the 1917 Enfield safety is one of the best out there.

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I would go for the Mod 70. CRF...also like it better in the heavier calibers in general. Feels better for a bigger gun. I have a model 700 Rem in 25-06, 22-250 and .300 RUM, and like them just fine, but doesn't feel like a big bore rifle to me...I really liked the Mod 70 .375 I had...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Remington may take great care in building the rifles they sell the military but my several experiences with their civilian 700s has left a lasting impression.

I'd take the Winchester 70 over the Remington 700 without a moment's hesitation.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont want a new rifle going to Africa period.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
You are allowed to shoot both 500 times and drag it behind your truck to make it "not new".

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What: I would take the Winchester.

Why: Anything by Remington skeeves me. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Remington - thousands of rounds through them over the past 40 years including 416 and 458 and never had a failure to feed, never had a failure to extract, never had a failure to do exactly what I needed when I need it to be done whether right-side up or upside down, whether below 0 or above 115 degrees farenheit ambient temperature.
Only Model 70 CRF I have ever owned worked quite well but can't honestly compare my limited experience with it to that with the 700.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man I know Im hard on my gear but damn!

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester. Smooth, strong, simple, reliable easy to work on & easy to upgrade.

That said, I might wonder if I should have bought the Ruger which in my recent experience are more accurate than Winchesters.

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat.

Choice? OK. Ft. Smith is 2 hours away from your door. I will be right over to get one. Rem or Win is OK by me. Reason.....price is right. Smiler

Elton wave

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester - The winchester stock designs just fit me better.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought another Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H Mag today. I really think ones made in SC are a great value. Besides, I did not draw a moose, bighorn sheep or mountain goat tag in today's special drawing in Montana. Heck, I had to do something to relieve my depression! LOL! :-)

I prefer the Model 70 for Africa but there is nothing wrong with the Remington 700 as I own several of them in various calibers. Shoot with the one you shoot well and have confidence in.

Posts: 35 | Location: Montana | Registered: 20 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the M70. Just did a quick headcount and I've got 13 M70s close at hand (8 of them pre 64s) and no M700s for many years. Possibly I'm in a rut, but it's a familar rut... One of those M70s, along with a DR, will be in Bubye Valley, Zim next week...

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Why ya gotta stir the pot DC stir

My 700 shoots and has served me well on many safaris.

Yes, I am aware of the theoretical benefits of the 70.

Peace.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both, the 70 in .375, and it has been an outstanding African performer.

I have a 700 LSS in .300 RUM, and I like it, too. It has been to Africa once, the .375 twice. I prefer the Winchester. Both are quite accurate, but I had a Timney trigger installed in the 700 and the barrel free floated. I had a $40 trigger job and a Wolff follower spring done on the 70.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Wendell, was that a model 700 that 30ott6 used to hunt pigs at your ranch?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
The Winnie model 70... because if I don't have a smith customize it before or after the trip I can get more on the resale or trade than the 700!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester model 70 all the way. CRF, closer to the original Mauser design, nice trigger, 3 pos safety.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Own both and I'll take the 70...hands down.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can I pick the Winny action and the Remmy barrel and stock?

I prefer the 70, but in a 375 it is a porky thing.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
My brain keeps getting stuck at "WOOOHOO I am going to Zimbabwe to hunt buffalo!!!". Wink

Either rifle would do the trick for me, but if they were both laying in front of me and I could only grab one, it would probably be the Winchester (or whichever one was shinier lol). Big Grin

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would take the Winchester, drive to SLC, Rob Heritage Arms, get me an R 93 in 375 or 416, and head for the airport. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am going to give you your choice of a new, in the box, Winchester Model 70 (South Carolina, FN made) or a Remington 700 in any configuration you like - in a .375 H&H with a 1.75 x 6 scope.

None of them both rubish.
I would take Sauer 202 Take Down in .416 or bigger with one of the Swarovski Z6 Scopes

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mboga biga,
I thought of adding the Sauer but I have yet to hear much about it. My next rifle for Africa will hopefully be a takedown "something". Tell of your experience please.

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...

Dande North. You will see herd buffalo and also lots of dagga boy tracks to follow. Probably will have to retreat from cow eles most days.

Winchester 70, no question.

Remington = accurate rifle
Remington extractor = junk

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
Wendell, was that a model 700 that 30ott6 used to hunt pigs at your ranch?

My point exactly, word on the street is that he broke the stock and it STILL WORKS!

Try that Winnie!

As an interesting side bar, I have had two chamber failures while on safari, both were with CRF rifles. No they were not short strokes. It was a round in the chamber without the bolt grabbing the rim.

I trust CRF guns and think the design is great, I just see very little reason to split hairs. They both work, they can both fail. 10,000 rounds from each may not provide a statistically significant leader.

Use what you are comfortable with.

So, Dogcat, I will let you choose and be perfectly happy with it! Thanks for the offer, lets go. BOOM

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
Own both and I'll take the 70...hands down.

I don't own both right now, but I do own a couple of Rem 700s, and a bunch of Mauser actioned rifles. The 700s I own belonged to my father who has long since passed on to the hunting in the sky,so they are keepsakes, and will go no place. However, even my dad never used them to hunt with, he just liked the way they looked. When the jeep was packed, and "A HUNTING WE WOULD GO" he always grabbed his old FN Mauser 30-06 with a Weaver 4X scope on it, and killed everything he saw with single shots!

This is a personal thing with me, but IMO, any rifle to be used for hunting dangerous game should be as simple and idiot proof as it is possible to make it. Anything that has even the potential to fail, again IMO, should be shuned like the plague. Push feed bolt rifles, regardless of who makes them will not be in my hands when the bush holds bite-backs!

So with your choices, I'd would choose the Win Mod 70 hands down.

However I have two rifles that I consider to be better than either of those choices! They are Whitworth African express rifles built on a Zastava FN clone actions, with the after market Winchester type 3 position safeties. The origenal safety on the Whitworths is no better than the Remington's. Both block only the trigger (sometimes)and IMO are not worth crap. The Winchester type not only blocks the trigger, but the fireing pin as well, and the CRF feature alone is worth more, on it's own, than the total cost of any push feed rifle!

The choice is your's and my post is only to answer your question of which "I'd" pick and why! If the bullet goes where it will do the most good, then either will do the job, but there is a difference between the systems, and IMO a very important one, where dangerous game is concerned!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which brand do you shoot more? Use that one. When you get in a tough spot, you don't want to try and remember how the gun works or how to take the safety off. Make sure you can shoot the gun. Ask any PH and they will tell you, they want a hunter who can hit what they aim at.

Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 61 | Location: OH | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Which ever one is most accurate and fits me best.
Given the chance to restock and have the rifles worked on, would probably go for CRF but would not feel threatened with the Remmie.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My model 70 .375 H&H did just great for me in Dande North last month. It is the first and only .375 I have ever owned and I can't imagine buying anything else. A well known maker of top African rifles here in the Uk (Trevor Proctor) recommended it to me so what better advise could you have.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
M 70 tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would take the model 70. I just like the way they fit me.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either my custom Brno 602 .375 or my 1920's .318 WR. Sorry!

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote