THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Any one know much about Cruiser Safaris in RSA?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Any one know much about Cruiser Safaris in RSA?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
2-3 years ago, I was researching my first safari, and Cruiser Safaris was right near the top.

I ended up deciding on Zimbabwe instead, because I wanted to be in a more "wild", open area with dangerous game present, even though I was hunting plains game.

Later I received an email announcement from them, stating that they had "located" a huge kudu on their ranch. The headline on their website said "WE FOUND HIM!".

They were accepting calls from "serious" people only, if you wanted to find out the price to hunt that particular kudu.

If you paid the rate (I don't know how much it was), and the kudu was not 60 inches, you would not be charged.

A few weeks later, their website proclaimed the news: "We got him!".

Being new to the safari industry, I began wondering...

Suppose I had been hunting with them before the high-paying customer showed up for the expensive kudu, and what if my PH and I had come upon it while hunting?

How would he have told me not to shoot, since the man with the money was getting on a jet somewhere, heading to Africa for one kudu????

I'll always wonder about that....

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Personally I really detest a sliding scale of trophy fees based on the size of the animal.

Using this example of an exceptional animal, will they give you a big discount if you shoot a kudu under 50 inches ?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Post Driver hunted with them I believe.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
NitroX,

I know what you mean...I always feel like your looking at the price tag rather than concentrating on enjoying the hunt..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with them in 2002 and had an absolute ball! The Lamprechts were gracious hosts and the facilities were more than adequate (and they've upgraded them quite a bit since then). I would like to go back; and perhaps will, soon. While this was my only trip to Africa so far, I can't imagine a different outfitter being more attuned to my expectations.

As far as the 60" kudu goes, I was aware of the situation at the time I was considering the trip; it was about 3 years ago. They had located a bachelor group of three bulls, if memory serves, all of which were quite large. I would imagine they simply stayed out of that area until the buyer of that trip came in. The kudu, once bagged, was 60 1/2" if memory serves. The trophy fee was about double what's charged now by many outfitters and I can't say that I wouldn't have jumped at the chance myself. I had to 'settle' for a 57 1/2" ; amazing stuff for a newbie.

Many of the ranches they hunt are owned by their family, and trekking thru the brush and encountering rhino always got the heart pumping.

Nice folks; good properties; great food (they've changed chefs since my trip tho). From the newsletter about this past year's hunters, it sounds like the drought didn't effect their game population too badly. Check out their website and call Bob for more info.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote