THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    African all-purpose rifle calibers/cartridges

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

African all-purpose rifle calibers/cartridges
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know from reading some of the posts on this forum that the classic all-purpose rifle cartridge for plains and dangerous game in Africa has been the .375 H&H magnum. What are some of the other good ones you have used and what are some of their best attributes? Many thanks!
jfm.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The .416 Rigby. Effective on plains game and effective on dangerous game. A 400 grain bullet at 2400 fps, what's not to like about that?

Mike

Posts: 21696 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3x74R with the right bullets (and the 9.3x62, its rimless counterpart) will do very well in situations where you have a PH backing you up. The big advantage is the gun, even in a double, doesn't weigh a ton or kick like a freight train. And it's RIMMED.

Yes, I know, some countries say 375 is the min, but Zim is OK with the 9.3 and SA doesn't enforce.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
The 404 Jeffery would be another good choice. Its a nice compromise between the 416 and 375. Another one I have been curious about recently is the 400 H&H.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I love Jim Carmichels reply to the question of all purpose calibers; "There are lots of all purpose calibers, where are the all purpose hunters?" That may not be the exact quote but it was the idea. It's hard to think of a more versatile caliber than the .375 H&H and when you add to that its worldwide availability then it comes out the winner in my opinion. I like the .404 Jeffery also because it's a little more and still a rifle/caliber combination that most can handle. But you don't find the ammo on shelves in stores that most people frequent (do you see a lot of RWS ammo near you?). Same for the choice in rifles; other than CZ, there aren't any factory 404s in the low and medium price ranges.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion, but take a look at the Recoil page in FAQ's on this site before making a decision based on empirical observations toward ballistic or SD efficacy. Pay particular attention to the Recoil factor key at the top of the page.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/recoil.html

For instance, a .270 Win (often considered a minimum plains game caliber) has a recoil factor of 162.6, considered moderate by the authors. 375H&H, on the other hand is 628, considered very heavy. 416 Rem, a popular DG caliber is 1117.5, while the classic 416 Rigby is even higher at 1187.9, both categorized as very painful. Take your pick.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that the reason for the popularity of the 375 worldwide is that it's the greatest amount of really functional killing power for your investment in felt recoil.

There are more powerful functional rifles but they come at a very high cost to the shooter both in practice and in the field with follow-up shooting.

There is not a more powerful option with equal or less recoil, that has the flat shooting qualities and the close range DG potential.

It's why I own one!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You just made my point.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Too bad the 404 Jeffery is not on the recoil chart. At traditional loads in the 2150fps to 2200fps muzzle velocity it is not much more than the .375 H&H if I recall. Also, the chart shows the .416 Rigby as being about equal with the .378 Weatherby in recoil. Perhaps it was just the rifle I shot (once) in .378 Weatherby but it seemed to me to hit me more than the .416 Rigby. I suppose rifle fit and weight could have been the reason. Anybody else shot both?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I know, some countries say 375 is the min, but Zim is OK with the 9.3 and SA doesn't enforce.

Thats beacause 9,3 is legal in RSA except KwaZulu natal province(.375 there)

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.400 tembo - I have it an pretty good authority that Norma are going to be producing this as a factory round. A 350grn .400 cal bullet at 2400fps or a 300grn bullet at 2650 for plains game. Also shoots .401 pistol bullets for cheep practice or shooting impala.

The reason I use and enjoy a 9,3x62 as my main hunting rifle is simple. It fits in a standard length action. Holds lots in the mag, and doesn't boot the heck out of me in sub 8lb rifle.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I find the suggestion that the .416 Rigby's recoil is "very painful" a bit humorous. It is certainly not exponential to the .375 H&H and is something I think most .375 H&H shooters can master with little effort.

Mike

Posts: 21696 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say it has to be the 9.3x64 Brenneke. The best hunting rifle in the world, even today, is a 98 mauser and the 9.3x64 was designed specifically for the standard 98 Mauser action. No chewing away much metal behind the lower recoil lug as with the 375 H&H.

My impression is that it shoots flatter than the 375 H&H, about as flat as the 375 Weatherby, and penetration is identical to the 375 H&H as I have tested it in that regard. It ought to be very flat shooting with 235 grain bullets.

The late Odo Willscher, whom I knew well, did all the original field testing for Wilhelm Brenneke and loved it. Its all he ever used. He told me had had shot about 300 elephant bulls anda 300 buffalo with it in the Cameroons beginning about 1933.

Unlike the 338 Win Mag it has no belt and so case capacity is used for powder and not belt. I have seen it used in the field and consider it to be superior to the 338 Winchester Mag. The RWS TUG bullet simply clobbers lions and bears but it will break up say in a buffalo's spine. The TUG is actualy designed for the 9.3x62.

But now that premium bullets are available for it for reloading I would give it number one place. The one big drawback is lack of ammo and cost of ammo.

It would be interesting to see an experiencesd reloader play with this one for a while.

VBR,

Ted Gorsline

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
You can calculate recoil yourself of course with any of the online recoil calculators. Here is the link to one of them:

http://www.huntamerica.com/recoil_calculator/

I put in my data for my 404 Jeffery, 400 grain bullet coming out of the muzzle at 2150 fps with 80 grains of powder and in a ten and half pound rifle and come up with recoil energy of around 40 foot/pounds. The .375 is listed at 38.5 ft/lbs so there's not much difference there. (unless I screwed up my calculations!)

<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by jfm:
I know from reading some of the posts on this forum that the classic all-purpose rifle cartridge for plains and dangerous game in Africa has been the .375 H&H magnum. What are some of the other good ones you have used and what are some of their best attributes? Many thanks!
jfm.

Unless you are a full-time buff hunter, a 9.3x62 is a great all-around choice. Fits a standard '06 action, can be made nice and light. Plains games out to 300 yds is no problem with a 250 Nosler. The 232 Oryx is a great choice for closer, smaller game. The 286s are great all-arounders, and the 300-320 are available for the occasional big beastie. It is a fine round. It is the 7x57 of the "big" bores (though perhaps not a "true" big bore...) That's high praise IMHO...

Now if Nosler would just make a 215gr Accubond, all would be right in the world... clap

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Until last week my vote would have favored the 416 Rem Mag. With the 350 gr A frame, it performes very well on Buff, and is very flat shooting for plains game. Down side is recoil. I find it a little stiff after a few rounds. Before anyone has a fit over using the 350 gr A Frame, the 300 gr bullet in the 375 is considered more than adequate.

That was last week. After 40 rounds in my new 375 H&H, I am having second thoughts. After glass bedding, I am getting 1" groups, and the recoil is "almost pleasant" after the 416.

The question of ammo availability must enter into this discussion. While I have never had to look for ammunition in Africa, Indications are the 375 H&H is like bird s---, it is everywhere Big Grin

For my next Tanzanian adventure, getting the new 375 has complicated my life a bit..... cheers

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JBoutfishn

What kind of recoil pad do you have on the 416?

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses you guys. Always enlightening!!!Take care.
jfm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JFM,
Those were the best answers I have seen on this board to your question. I know, because I asked the same questions 2 years and it bore out to be true.
Good luck.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldcoyote:
JBoutfishn

What kind of recoil pad do you have on the 416?

I have decellerator pads on everything.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote