New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Authors on African Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A few weeks ago this topic was under discussion. I was fairly neutral having read many interesting articles by American visitors to africa...However I have just recieved the Jan edition of Sports Afield. And in it is an article by one Walt Prothero on hippo hunting.

Having been sent his book " Safari, A dangerous Afair" a coouple of years back I took a good read. His book was a little over done in places but not a bad read. This article though exposed the dangers of writing from a position of half knowlege and full ego.

He describes the PH as " the freshman PH" and " The bulls have dark about the eye's" the neophyte PH JM said. "the cows have pink" - I had never heard of that one...

Jim is hardly a friend but I remember him of old as the Problem Animal Controll officer for the tribal lands allong the top of the escarpment. personally shot a couple of hundred ele, same number of buff and at least 30 lion from the parks records before he gave up on parks and started hunting 15 years back. "Freshman", "Neophyte". Hardly. Also several references to finding the bull (he got a good one) and the recovery tell me he knows nothing, and was totally reliant on the PH!

It makes me wonder about his book, Safari and I don't think I'll bother with his new one that Safari Press is putting out.

I might take a swipe at regular contributors to african Hunting mags like Will and (I think) .500 grains but even if I don't enjoy the read their articles aren't pure BS (actually I sometimes do enjoy their work but I won't admit that too often Wink)

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I bought a copy of Safari-A Dangerous Affair (its for sale!) but couldn't quite get it read. The fad now (according to publishers) is that you don't qualify to write anything unless you're a PH. As you might guess, I have a different opinion of that, and of PH's Smiler.

I have read detailed accounts by PH's and have had them tell me this or that as fact when I know it is BS. At least Tony Dyer in the epilog of the reprint of Foran's Legends of the Field admitted that many had more experience shooting elephants than he did.

As you say, you can usually tell when guys are making up stuff because you know better. I have problems with authors that write detailed quotes of themselves and others that ocurred 50 or 60 years ago (e.g., Nychens!! I know this may be sacreligious, but come on!). It must be demanded by publishers(?).

Well, I'm on the verge of sending my first book off to the printer, so any publicity, good or bad, will be most welcomed! It is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, at least by Pondoro standards. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
.... so any publicity, good or bad, will be most welcomed! It is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, at least by Pondoro standards. Smiler

Funny you mention Pondoro, but there was a rumour that Will and Pondoro were ......... Eeker

Big Grin

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also read Safari, A Dangerous Affair, and although it seemed to be an honest account, there were no astonishing insights revealed.

Personally I am unaware of any American authority on African hunting. Many people have some knowledge, some people have extensive knowledge in a narrow area, but I am aware of none with authoritative knowledge.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Craig Boddington has hired on at Sports Afield, and they are touting his 50 African safaris of knowledge. Craig does have a wider base of African experience than many current American writers.

I like to read Lou Hallimore's work for a current author and real PH. There are some great PHs hunting now who are not writing -- yet.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Will

Many years back (1978) I was sitting in the pub on the Kwaai river in northern Botswana listening to a gripping tale told by the barman. John Northcote - a well known east Africa PH was in with a client and he commented "Hey that was my tale, and it sounded good the first time I told it" The Barman smiled and Winked - "yes but it was a good story and a story worth telling is worth a little exageration".

When I next met the barman he was famous and his books were selling well and hunting in southern Africa was taking off. Peter Capstick could tell any of our tales with so much style and finess it was awsome Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Hey, what better profession for an aspiring writer than a bartender in safari country?

I give full credit to Capstick, O'Connor, Boddington, (you!), and all the others that make/made a living from writing about guns and hunting. They have the gift of gab, both orally and with a pen. They can generate 25 articles from a single buffalo hunt. And make them sound different than the last 25 articles about the previous buffalo hunt! It is quite amazing.

On the other hand I would perform two years of research and generate 2 or 3 technical articles. Such is fate! I blame my parents. Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Such is fate! I blame my parents. Wink

Big Grin Of course! Isn't that the American way?

I think you, JudgeG, Mbogo375 and a few others here, have what it takes to be successful writers. Keep at it!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Will

Thats the difference between science and literature. I am lucky to get one scientific paper published a year by the time everybody who has an opposing idea has "reviewed" (whined about) it Wink.

At least with hunting articles I only have to convince Ant Williams (at the African Hunter), Rich Lendrum (at Sporting Gazzette) or Brian Marsh (at Magnum) that I am right, and the article is worth publishing, and not every other research officer or fellow in Africa who has a pet theory that he needs published to get ahead - and what easier way to get your published that to block someone else's. I imagine American Scientific community is much the same! Sooo to get two or three a year through means you are either very good or very ruthless!...??

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO Boddington is head and shoulders above any other AMERICAN writer on African hunting. Not only has he been on 50 plus safaris, but his book Safari Rifles is the standard in its field. I don't think any other American writer combines that much Safari experience with as much knowledge of ballistics and rifles in general. Many African PHs have more African hunting experience than any American writer but many of the PHs that I have read write about hunting only one country or even a particular area of one country. I think Flack and Boddington have hunted more countries and more areas than many of the PHs we read.(I know Flack is not American)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think everyone should be judged on their individual merits...I know a lot of Americans and Europeans that have shot a heck of a lot more dangerous game than many of todays Phs and many of those PHs are relitively well known...and have not been PHs but a very few years...

The days of the old time PHs with those record numbers of kills is long gone and been replaced by hype and thunder...but all is not lost as I have never spoken to a PH at safari club that has not killed at least 500 buffalo, some more! Roll Eyes

Some of the old timers like Hugo Seia, Ganyana, the Selbys, tony sanchez, johann calitz, and others are still around, some in retirement, some not, and some are still scribbling some good stuff, but that too will soon come to pass with the ever changing Africa...

Hopefully they will all write of their deeds, as it is an era that shall never again be, so much the shame.......

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian Nyschens has a new book out this year - I believe African Hunter are going to publish it. There is also Richard Harlands New book on Paul Grobbelar from Rowkand Ward (Paul was one of the early Giants and Richards mentor).

My own book is half finished and looks booked to come out with Rowland Ward. Jane Halse has been nagging me for five years to put it together - but it is mostly hunting men not animals - at least so far! We'll she what she edits Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I have to put in a good lick for my long gone, chubby buddy, Geo. Hoffman who wrote a good book and then my pal Robt Reitnauer wrote an interesting book just out called "Kawaheri" from Safari Press. Of course my enjoyment level might have been more than some as I knew / know both men personally. A lot of the bloody stuff and the not PC correct stuff was cut from Robt. book but he is writing another and if he can find a publisher that will print it "like it is" it should be a hell of a read.
Robt. and his long time pal, Bryan Coleman, who was mentioned in Marsh's "White Hunter" have some interesting tales to tell esp. about the Mau Mau war. It was a hairy affair and they are lucky they are still here today.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote