THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    South African Express Airlines and SA Airlink?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South African Express Airlines and SA Airlink?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
I may be using SA Express Airlines to fly from Windhoek to Jo'burg and then connecting to a SA Airlink flight to Bulawayo.

How are these airlines with carriage of firearms and ammunition? Anyone had any problems?

The gap between arrival and departure is only 2 hours. Is this insufficient? Hopefully luggage can be checked through.

On that subject, per the PHASA website:

quote:
In Transit Passengers (Transiting South Africa)

It is critical that you check with and confirm with the airline/s involved before departure to make sure what their procedure is for the transfer of baggage and/or firearms.

If the airline does transfer your baggage/firearms, and you have booked them through to the final destination, and you stay in the in-transit area and do not clear South African customs, then you need not go through the temporary import process.

If your airline company will not transfer your baggage/guns to your connecting airline/flight, then you must collect your baggage/firearm/s and go through the entire entry process. If this is the case, the South African limitations, requirements, etc. will apply.

This also applies if you are overnighting in South Africa before flying on to your country of destination.

If checked luggage can be checked through, is the above still correct, ie no need to acquire a temporary SA firearms licence?

Thanks.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used SA Express to fly around SA and never had any problems.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Same here. Very nice Embraer Jets and the stewardesses were more to my liking...jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, thanks for the replies.

I remember reading a thread on a South African airline which had changed its policy to not carrying firearms at all, and was wondering if anyone can remember which one is was/is? A search failed to bring up any relevant threads (I may be mistaken).

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
I believe the airline was NATIONAL. I do not know if this correct but this seems to be what comes to mind.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cunningham:
I believe the airline was NATIONAL. I do not know if this correct but this seems to be what comes to mind.

Bob,

Thanks. That sounds familiar.

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
NitroX
I phoned both SA Express and -Airlink. (Airlink unavailable), and yes, it is still allowed to check in* fire-arms on Express, and according to Express'es customer care, also on Airlink.
(By check in- I mean give it to the security company that works with it, to put on the plane with other luggage, not literally check it in as normal baggage.)

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradewinds:
I have used SA Express to fly around SA and never had any problems.

Me too, no problems.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Terry Blauwkamp, I was shooting the other night and Chris Harbison brought your name up.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your replies.

Karl,

Thanks for making that phone call.

Now I am flying Air Namibia as well. Bookings finally finalised. clap