New
Find
Notify
Tools

My New .375 RUM M70 Stainless
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I finally shot it today. Recoil was not as bad as I thought but it is still pretty stiff. More than a H&H but manageable.

Shoots 1-1.25 inches with 3 shot groups at 100m with Rem factory 270gn Hornady SP. Had to stop at 18 rounds as my new Leupold Vari X III 1.75-6 x 32 gave up the ghost. Lost focus after the 15th shot but still kept point of impact.

The scope is mounted in Talley rings and bases. The contrast between the stainless action & wood stock (left over from a Safari Express donor action) looks quite good. Not much was required to get it to feed smoothly. Not even a new magazine box. Feeds fine and holds 3 in the mag. This is the old .375 mag follower without the scallops.

See in optics for what happened to the Leupie.

The rifle has had trigger done, action trued. Barrel was set back a couple of threads to clean out the old chamber.

Will try to post a pic or two.

Regards
JohnT [image]http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287489543&congratulation_page=Y[/image]

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[image]http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287489543&congratulation_page=Y[/image]

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know this has been asked a million times but my attempt to post a picture has not worked. Can someone help please.

Thanks
JohnT

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here you go.

Posts: 493 | Location: GEORGIA, U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Scrappy Thanks.

How'd you do that?

Regards
JohnT

one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnT,
I went to the page at imagestation and copied it. When using imagestation, you have to hit the back space button on the image part to post a pic in the instant ubb code.

Posts: 493 | Location: GEORGIA, U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice rifle JohnT! You didn't need any other work done than a rechamber? That's great news. I'm planning the same conversion with a CZ550 American originally in 375H&H. Sounds like is is a shooter, too! It's good to hear that others are making this conversion successfully. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maxman,

I was surprised too. I thought I'd need at least a new magazine & follower. Some one posted me about that but no it feeds fine & holds 3 down. From what I can see my gunsmith just reshaped the magazine spring. Feeds quite smoothly.

I've had the lugs bedded & the trigger & safety tuned.

The only issue was the leade in the chamber on the H&H was so generous to get the proper sharp shoulder he would have had to lose 1 inch barrel length which he didn't think I would want. So I end up with a 375 RUM with a Weatherby type radiused shoulder. I am not really certain the implications of all this but I was told not to worry about it & everything would work out fine. And it has so far (except for the scope that didn't survive).

The only other gunsmithing issue is that the new picture frame floorplate is a bit longer than the old one. I used the floorplate on my H&H custom. The old 3 screw stainless floorplate is a bit shorter so there is a small gap there which needs to be filled later.

The Safari Express stock is a really fine unit. I like the shape & dimensions very much. You may be able to pick one up cheap where they have used the action for a custom like in my case. The factory fibreglass stock is a shocker IMHO!

Trying another pic.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287489543[/image]

one of us
posted Hide Post
This works but its only a link. How can I may the picture appear within the post?

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287489543&p=4184184983&idx=3[/image]

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

How's that?

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's great Chuck but what is the bit I am missing? Do you have to resize the photos first or something?

I read the bit about putting [img] at the start & [/img] at the end but still does not work. I also don't understand the comment about with imagestation you have to bacspace on the image?

I'd like to post the pics myself if possible. help please.

Thanks
JohnT

one of us
posted Hide Post
John!
You got it right the first time! The only problem was that your url pointed to a web page instead of the actual image. The correct url should have been: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid107/pe75de0b31680cb3523272bdd2ca782ea/f9659894.jpg
Just put those image and /image in brackets around your url and it should work. If you get it right you should be able to see the image correctly in the preview.

Regards
/Johan

Posts: 28 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right click on the image itself, select properties and then copy the URL that is there. Then paste that URL in the image box. Voila.

Posts: 2658 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, This is the only other image I have not posted. What I failed to do was open the properties box for the photo & there you get the URL without all the other garbage.

Thanks to all for your help & your patience,

Regards,
JohnT