THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What country/areas should or could be restocked?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What country/areas should or could be restocked?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can you think of any place that begs to be restored to game populations of the old days? I understand the impact the human population and the farms have on game populations. No particular species in mind---but maybe because politics have changed or some one recognizes the value of game either for ecotourisium or hunting.
I have heard of the elephants repopulation plan for Angola & Moz. Is there hope for the old destinations like Uganda, Sudan, CAR, Southern Rhodesia, Kenya ect...
Capmed

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been reports of Southern Sudan and Ugunda re-opening. I doubt Kenya will ever have game populations like it used too (unless a good government somehow takes over). CAR is a good hunting destination, where it isn't plagued by border-hopping poachers.

Moz seems to be stabilizing, and Angola would probably be among the best hunting destinations in Africa if there were any animals left, and they get rid of all the civil strife and land mines.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I've only spent (limited) time in Namibia, RSA, Zim. I do pay attention, though, and this is my opinion in the matter.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
I personally DONT hold out a lot of hope for the open plains areas of Africa that we read about from the days gone by era as the population explosion and shrinking habitat for wildlife is taking its toll along with (poaching) both for bush meat subsistance for the people and monetary gain for the big time criminal elements ...

Even with AIDS Malaria Wars Droughts and Africas other inherant problems I DONT believe the population will ever be under control, it will slow, BUT will not stop it increasing, with all the mentioned dampers Africa is still the fastest growing population in the world, go figure that one out and then you will understand the magnitude of the problem facing wildlife ...

Even with the creation of vast new wildlife parks [ The transfrontier park Zim / Moz / SA ] that will only create another ZOO for the animals to be poached in even greater numbers, it is like a supermarket, stock the park and delight the poacher, the authorities are not really able at the moment to prevent or curtail poaching, even with shoot on sight rules.

The vast [ Kafue National Park ] in Zambia which is one of Africa's largest parks used to be teaming with wildlife, it is now to a large degree depleted.

That is why in South Africa in particular there are now over 9,000 private hunting ranches, and others countries are switching on to the fact that the ONLY way we are going to keep our wonderful wildlife numbers up is by PRIVATE GAME ranches, NOT by anything that governments are involved in, for reasons that must be blatantly obvious to all in the present economical & political climate.

I wish I was proved wrong but that is the way I see it heading, so if you think the days of game fenced ranches are over think again, as the exact opposite is taking place and will continue in a number of Southern African countries.

The ONLY way to make a meaningful change I believe is for governments to put their [ thinking caps on ] and privatise the wildlife parks and then I believe we might have some hope for the mediun to long term future!!

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot more places in the USA that could benifit from restocking than in Africa, Africa seems to hold her own, with set backs from time to time, population being her number 1 enemy....

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't expect the African population to diminish any time soon (remember the hubub about the HIV pandemic wiping out everyone??).....but the same things happened in Europe and America not too long ago. If industrialisation continues, the growing populations can quite comfortably live in cities, IF there are jobs! There are certainly many vast areas left that could be repopulated with game, even if they must coexist with people....Sudan, Angola, Congo are some examples of HUGE countries that just need a little less fighting and some conservation to become nice hunting destinations....
Morocco could always offer Barbary sheep again, and maybe even addax/scimitar horned oryx IF they got their act together and set up a breeding program.
Sure, most of these scenarios are just wishful thinking and the virgin Africa we read about is mostly gone...but it doesn't take long for game to repopulate areas that are not active warzones (see Mozambique).

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bog.Ray all,
If a suitable senerio was identified ,is it concievable that a humble group of internet friends sheparded by an Arabian website benifactor could champion an undervalued wildlife asset. (As a small jesture demonstrating another avenue where hunters "put something back").
Its just a thought. It might also show the no hunting conservationist(green) crowd the error of their thinking. I am preaching to the choir here but another positive example of making game animals an economic resource couldn't hurt.
AR would be credited. We might have a new destination. The hunting world could again ask PETA/Greens--what have you done lately?
I understand everything costs $. This idea is free.
If we could look forward 15 years from now and for example--a hunter has a giant sable in his scope because the AR folks got behind a project---would it be worth it? You hear so many negatives about African prospects, booking agents need score cards to keep up with the poltics.
Capmed fomerly # 710

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote