New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Hunter Magazine offline?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The African Hunter Magazine's website is no longer online, except for a reference on how to subscribe. Does anyone know why?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I noticed that to. Also can't rememeber when I received my last magazine either.

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The website is offline but you can veiw some of the articles on www.cybertorpedo.com/africanhunter/firearms/firearms_index.htm. However a lot of the good ones were removed.

Mors Certa Sed Hors Incerta

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received my mag within the last month and I visited their office 2 weeks ago

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Bryan,

Where is their office?

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received a new magazine today by email called "African Hunting" Magazine which looks very similar to "African Hunter" Magazine. I noticed the old internet editor for African Hunter is now one of the editors/contributors to this new emailed African Hunting Magazine. This occured just after African Hunter Magazine's web site disappeared except for the subscription info. The quality of this new mag IMO was quite good. The first three issues are to be delivered free of charge. Who else has gotten this new online magazine? Does anyone know what is going on with African Hunter magazine vs. these new guys?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Gentleman. Thank you for your concern on the African Hunter magazine. We are still very much alive and well. Our little bit of political turmoil here in Zimbabwe over the last couple of months, well four months actually, knocked us a little off schedule I am afraid.

I can assure you though, that in short order, we will be back on top of things. A magazine is going to the post office in Johannesburg tomorrow - 6 August, and we have the next one going to the press on Monday 11 August. This should be out and in the post within 10 days. The editorial content for Issue number 4 is complete and being layed out at the moment.

As for the website we built in good faith with Alan Bunn over the years, he, without notice or explanation of his actions, pulled the plug. It was a shame to lose this extensive data base, and more importantly the convenient on-line payment scheme he had established. I assume we were victims of a ploy to launch this new magazine of his, as evidenced by the similarity in names between our publications. Africa is a vast continent and I believe there is definitely scope for more coverage by other ethical publications, so long as the content is accurate, good and not simply the rubbish one sees in other publications which seem to be full of hot air. We worked well with Alan over the years, and his recent actions aside, I wish him the best of luck with his new venture.

We do have plans to re-vamp an informative and interactive website to support our magazines and its readership. But given our recent experiences, this will in the future be handled in-house, and we believe will be better than any of the loose associations we have explored in the past.

For our part, we have not been resting on our laurels. During the turmoil here, the editorial crew have been travelling extensively, and have some exciting material for the coming issues. The editor - Don Heath - has also been actively involved with Norma in the development of some new and exciting products of theirs. This and other hard-core research and hands-on experience supports our “No B/S†editorial policy.

Over the last 18 months or so, we have established a new office in Namibia, and strengthened our operational base in South Africa which has excellent infrastructure for printing and mailing. I believe one can see this in the improvement in quality of the magazine in the recent past. We have some exciting plans for the future and I thank all our readers for their patience and support.

For any direct or specific information, please feel free to mail Jacqui who is the General Manager and subscription administrator, myself or Don on fishunt@zol.co.zw. Jacqui has just given up smoking though, and while not a complete dragon, is very pleasant and efficient to deal with.

I am not one to make excuses, and try as we may, Africa wins every now and again. Our first priority though is to the well-being of our staff, and during the last months we were forced to close up shop for long periods and ensure everyone was secure in the safety of their homes.

But trust me, with 15 years of history under our belt, it takes more than a die-hard dictator or disgruntled web editor to unravel us. We look forward to your continued support.

PS - Bryan, sorry I missed you when you were here a few weeks back. We will catch up in Reno no doubt.

Ant Williams

African Hunter Magazine African Fisherman Magazine

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
thumb

Posts: 2029 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys
Ant, the Editor-In-Chief and Don the Editor of the magazine asked me to have a look at the AR forums. It is true we have fallen a little behind and I too apologise for this. As the website was closed down at the same time as the political unrest here, we had little way of communicating with our readership. Not sure if this was intentional? I too have been busy though, and this year have worked with a design team to compile and implement a new Subscriber management program to better manage our readership. This is now up and running, though still has one or too wrinkles. But please, feel free to mail me any time, and I can assure you of my best attention.

As for the not smoking... I am healthier and happier than most of the smokers here. The dragons are imaginary!

Posts: 2 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy: Their offices are in Harare; on the same side of town as the airport-thats the closest I can tell you>
Ant: you should be, you dog! Hope you are in Dallas.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
I will be in Dallas. Would not miss it for the world! Yea, I was in the Luangwa valley in Zambia chasing after buff and lion... sometimes it was the other way around. Good fun though and got some good material for the magazine. Well done on your ele by the way.

Ant Williams

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Jacqui, Ant & Don,

I hope you folks are well!

Thanks for the posts, and I was wondering what was going on vis a' vis your magazine and the new internet thing. Stuff on the 'Net isn't truly dead, get a wizard going and you probably can recover most if not all of the past pages.

see you next time...jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
Hey Jim

Thanks for that. Yes, we have all the material, but as I say, being at the mercy of others as we have, is damaging to our reputation. We have a plan which will be implemented soon.

The crew are all well, though taking a bit of strain here. Most of us have been without water for the last four months - pumps broken, no chemicals to treat raw water etc., and electricity is a once in a while thing. But we cope in the African way... by "making a plan."

It is good to hear from you. Keep well.
Ant.

Ant Williams

one of us
posted Hide Post
ANT I am glad to hear all is as well as can be in the current situatiion.Keep your powdwer dry gents. As far as IT goes I know a couple top notch guys who own their own companys and have done well enough to make themselves millionaires. The do top notch work. I could put you in touch with them if yo are inclined to look at what the might have to offer you. Maybe set up a secure encrypted network somewhere here that you can access from anywhere to do your electronic publishing. For that matter it could be seemless to a printer as well. Let me know if you are interested and I will send you his info. RJ does good work and he is who we use to secure all traffic between here and china on a virtual network. All I know is we get everything with no intrusions period. Someone who is more of a computer geek than me would have to explain the how part.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jacqui:
Hell, now that you are posting on AR I have to be careful about what I say about you. Glad to have you aboard

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Ant,
My subscription expired and I didn't get it renewed in Reno. How can I get the subscription rolling again?

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ant,

I saw on the S.C.I. Convention website that the Zimbabwe Professional Hunter's Association has two booths this year (52 and 4318). Where will African Hunter Magazine be located?

Our subscription expires in January and no Convention is complete without visiting Colin. Did his Father write another book? See you in Reno.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9455 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
Bwanna and Kathi

The best way to handle the subscriptions is to contact Jacqui direct on our harare e-mail. It is fishunt@zol.co.zw. She has a new supply of chewing gum this morning (smuggled from accross the borders!) and the nicotine craving seems to have abated.

Kathi, there was a bit of confusion with the booths and our requirements, but SCI were good enough to squeeze us in. I believe we will be in booth 52 and it should be listed in the catalogue under African Hunter.

Colin's Dad did complete another book titled "In the Shade of a Baobab Tree". I do not think it is available outside Zim at the moment, but I plan to bring some copies to the shows in 09. Hopefully, Colin will be there to sign them.

Wishing you all a good day.

Ant.

Ant Williams

posted Hide Post
Hey Brian.
Good to be onboard, and yes, best you be careful what you say about me - I'm watching!
Have a great day.

Posts: 2 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AQnt!
I have noticed a definite improvement in the proof reading of articles in AH for the last two issues. "Good Work!"

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Williams:
Hey Brian.
Good to be onboard, and yes, best you be careful what you say about me - I'm watching!
Have a great day.

Now you have gone and done it Brian!

The last thing a man wants to do is have a woman watch what he does!

Believe me, I have become an expert at this.

I have a wife,a daughter, a female dog, a female parrot and 2 female cheetahs to every male!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68240 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed: Roger that!

One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
Hey Bryan. Don't worry too much, we will just change her password every now and again.

Yes, proof reading is an ongoing nightmare. The magazine is typically read six or seven times before it gets to print, but the odd thing still gets through. I do not believe we have ever reached the pinacle though and keep working to improve both content and presentation. Thanks for the comp though.

Ant.

Ant Williams

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Hey Jacqui, did you get my email with renewal info? Let me know. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7148 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
AFRICAN HUNTER IS THE BEST HUNTING MAG I READ IN MY LIFE AND I READ MOST OF THE HUNTING MAGS IN THE WORLD AND I EVEN WRITE IN A FEW ,DON HEATH EXPERIENCE IS INCREDIBLE ,HES A TEACHER,WITH REAL WORL EXPERIENCE IN A WORLD OF WANNABEES ,I HOPE HE VISIT ME SOON AND GAIN EXPERIENCE ON ARGENTINA HUNTING.JUAN

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6380 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the best way to change a mailing address? I found a couple of email addresses but, I don't know if they are current or valid. Is the email secure or should I expect a lot scams to show up in my physical mailbox or email in-box?

These are the two addresses I found on-line:
adhunt@zol.co.zw
fishunt@zol.co.zw

Thanks!
Sid

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sid

You'll get them on fishunt@zol.co.zw and we're carrying some of their content for them on our website at www.shakariconnection.com.

One of Us
Picture of editor-ant
posted Hide Post
Hi Sid

The e-mail addresses you have are correct. One is for the Zimbabwe office (ZOL) while the other is our Johannesburg office. We offer both as sometimes our Zimbabwe servers can be unreliable.

In all the time we have handled e-mail subscriptions, we have not had a single fraud problem, nor used e-mail addresses for blasts or spam.

If you feel happier though, you can PM me your address details and I will ensure the changes are made.

Alternatively, if you are at either the Dallas or Reno shows, we will be in attendance as usual. Dallas is booth #75 and in Reno at Booth #8.

We look forward to seeing you all there in a few days.

Ant Williams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ant! I sent a Private Topic (PM?) to you with my address change.

Also, I didn't mean to imply you or your staff might miss use my information. I was concerned with the integrity of email communications on an unreliable network with low security. I have had my personal information stolen several times which caused me great difficulty. The time and money involved to fix the mess these data and financial thieves have caused me in the past makes me cautious when using unsecured electronic messaging.

Do you happen to use PGP or secure websites for payment? Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the DSC or SCI conventions this year due to a personal house move occurring right now. Also, will I get a renewal notice in the mail when my subscription is about to expire (I had planned on renewing at the DSC convention this year)?

Best Regards,
Sid

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote