Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bushbuck
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Take a look at these and guess size and country of origin. I'll post the answers later.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
My country guess is Tanzania....

Though it also could pass for some places I have hunted in KZN!

Sizes:

Top photo 16"

Bottom over 17", he is hard to see with the foliage back ground.

I'd have shot them too.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I'll go ahead and post the information I have on them. The photos make it really hard to judge the size.

First Photo: 19" Chobe Bushbuck, shot by a South African hunter (was not registered in the record book).

Second Photo: 18.8" Chobe Bushbuck, shot by an English hunter (registered as the new Rowland and Ward Number 1).

Both came from a Coutada in Mozambique (bordering the Marromue Reserve). See map below. I believe both were taken in the last two years.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I am not surprised! What simply magnificent bushbucks! Thanks for the view Terry.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Top photo doesnt look that big I would have guessed 16 inches. The bottom one really looks huge and has really large bases. I shot a 18.5 inch chobe in 1994 but the bases werent that big. At that time mine was #12 in SCI. If I can figure out how to scan an old photo I will post it. Mark Young was in camp on his first safari when we brought it in. Also ours had a split ear and missing hair with several scars showing how tuff it is to grow old along the Sengwe river, Zimbabwe. The second buck has very deep curls almost like a Kudu.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it hard to believe the first one is 19".
More like a 16.5" or a tad under 17".

Here are 3 bushbuck photos that range between 17.5" smallest and 21" biggest.

Quite some difference wouldn't you say?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a limpopo that went 17 1/2. I took him on in the really thick stuff along the river right on the Botswana border. I must admit that bushbuck are absolutely my favourite plainsgame to hunt. I had him done as a full body mount. Bushbuck are one of the animals that need to done this way to really show them off to full effect.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,
That top one is 17 1/2" but also happens to be a Menelik's Bushbuck. Rex Baker Jr. took with it hunting in our Munessa Concession (Arusi Mt's) in January of 2001. It's the current #1 SCI. I have one on the wall that I took in the Tcher Tcher Mt's in 1984 that still ranks # 13.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Bwanamitch,

this critter :

is almost a Sitatunga.
Really exceptionnal, really thumb

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
On my trip to Moz. in 04 I saw 4-5 Chobe the first day, most were 15-17. My young PH fianlly begged me to shoot one. He went just under 15. Of course, didn't see another ram the rest of the 10 day trip.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the first two scored as high as suspected. The buck below measured an official and honest 17.25"

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote