Find
Notify
Tools

Two Rifles for Plains game
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted
I am planning a trip to Africa for plains game. The trip is still in its early planning stages, so I cannot be any more specific about quarry, although I can say I will not be hunting dangerous game. I am planning on taking two rifles, one of which will be a Model 70 in .338 WinMag. The second rifle will act as a backup to the 338, but will also be a lighter calibre to use on smaller game should circumstances permit.

What would you suggest as a calibre for rifle #2? Would a .270 Win be too light?

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Wooly ESS,

Welcome to the forum.

The 270 is a great cartyridge, and will do just fine as your light rifle.

In fact, should anything happen to your 338, it will be enough for all plains game.

Just make sure you use premium bullets.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'd just take another .338, and have a single load worked up that shoots acceptably in both rifles. You don't need anything lighter, so why burden yourself with more and different ammo?

AD

posted Hide Post
Allen makes a very good suggestion, but the new regs in RSA would not permit that (if that is where you were thinking of going).

A .30-06 with 180gr. Swift A-Frames would be my choice, as it has been on three of my four safaris.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
As Saeed has said, a .270 would be great.

Last year, I took a .338 Win. Mag. and a .25-06 Rem. I planned to use the .25-06 on the smaller antelopes. I did kill a steenbok with it. I saw no Springbok large enough to shoot and we didn't spend any time really chasing dik-dik or klipspringer, since we had other priorities.

I used the .338 on everything else, all of the bigger animals. Still, it was fun to have the light rifle along and I would recommend it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's usually in your best interest to listen to Saeed.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wooly

It would seem that you have recieved a lot of good advise and everybody makes some valid points supporting their opinion. Personally I would just take the 338 with a premium 250gr. soft point and a solid. The solid would be very effective for the small guys. I know from personal experience what a 250 soft does to 25 lb. animals. It aint pretty. If you choose to take 2 rifles I think a 30 cal. of some sort in addition to the 338 would with a bullet you would use for even the biggest animal you will be hunting would be the best choice.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted Hide Post
If you are going to take 2 rifles, id take a 7x57 as my second rifle.

7x57 is ideal for your smaller game such as bushbuck, impala and warthog. If required can also be used on game upto the size of Kudu quite comfortably from my experience.

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your prompt replies. The reason I suggested the 270 is because I have one already, and if the 270 is adequate when teamed up with the 338 then I could save myself a rifle. (Not that that's a good thing! Wink)

Anyone with a late reply, please chime in!

www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wooly
A friend of mine took his 280 Remington with 150 Federal factory Nosler Partitions on his hunt. He killed all manner of plains game including eland with out any problem.
Your 338 and 270 will do fine, just use a 150gr Premium bullet in the 270.
Save your rifle buying money for a double rifle for your next hunt for DG Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Save your rifle buying money for a double rifle for your next hunt for DG Big Grin

Now, there's good advice!! Big Grin

www.ceandersonart.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
the .338 is an excellent choice for all plainsgame...as to the lighter caliber about anything within reason from 243. to a 30-06 will do, the .270 is a great choice.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote