Find
Notify
Tools

The 30-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
The first caliber I owned was an FN Mauser and as a youth took numerous Buffalo with the 30-06 and much more. It was a killer and I considered it as a large caliber which it was not but proved to be as deadly.

My second and third rifles were a 9.3x62 and a .375 and to be honest they could not perform any better.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,
Are you a Lefty ( for shooting ) ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Andrew,

No and a couple of recent examples

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
The 220 grain monolithic solids were lethal on all game. My second favorite gun was my Charles Osbourne .404J which I carry today.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
fairgame
posted 13 February 2023 13:33
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Andrew,

No and a couple of recent examples

I should have worked that out. Those rifles look a bit too pristine to be working PH rifles Big Grin
Decent looking Croc by the way. Nice job.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew's rifles are like his vehicles. Nothing to look at but totally functional.

Posts: 367 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The second hunting rifle that I owned as a kid was a 30-06. tu2

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
My first rifle was/is a sporterized 1909 Argentine Mauser .30-06 (however, made in Berlin). I've killed more big game with it than any of my other rifles.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this Andrew.

I killed my first Mule Deer buck when I was 16, with my dads Browning Auto 30-06.

I may have related this story before, and I promise that it is true. A few years back Sportsmans Warehouse had 3 (I believe)
new 30-06 Browning A-Bolts for $275 on clearance. This was probably 5 or 6 years back. I asked them why they were so cheap. The Salesman told me that there was not interest in them and everybody wanted the Creedmore. Go figure.

I regret not buying all three of them. Although I shoot a .300 Win, the 30-06 is a great option. I worked great on plains game and everything I have hunted here in the states.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
The first caliber I owned was an FN Mauser and as a youth took numerous Buffalo with the 30-06 and much more. It was a killer and I considered it as a large caliber which it was not but proved to be as deadly.

My second and third rifles were a 9.3x62 and a .375 and to be honest they could not perform any better.

My sons all shot 30-06 Model 70s with Andrew in 2019 using 180 grain Nosler partition bullets.

No issues!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never found the 30-06 to be lacking. I've had one of some flavor thru most of my hunting career. With modern bullets it will do about anything you'd want in North America or Africa. I sold the last one I had to a friend and outfitter and am looking for another when the right one comes along.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:

I killed my first Mule Deer buck when I was 16, with my dads Browning Auto 30-06.

I may have related this story before, and I promise that it is true. A few years back Sportsmans Warehouse had 3 (I believe)
new 30-06 Browning A-Bolts for $275 on clearance. This was probably 5 or 6 years back. I asked them why they were so cheap. The Salesman told me that there was not interest in them and everybody wanted the Creedmore. Go figure.

I regret not buying all three of them. Although I shoot a .300 Win, the 30-06 is a great option. I worked great on plains game and everything I have hunted here in the states.

I don’t understand why people buy a 300 Win. With 180 gr bullets the difference at 300 yards between it and the 30-06 is only a couple of inches. If you need long range performance go Weatherby or RUM. My ‘06 is all I need. Cheaper ammo and lighter rifles.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:
quote:

I don’t understand why people buy a 300 Win. With 180 gr bullets the difference at 300 yards between it and the 30-06 is only a couple of inches. If you need long range performance go Weatherby or RUM. My ‘06 is all I need. Cheaper ammo and lighter rifles.

There is nothing really wrong with your argument. Often shots are a bit more than 300 yards out here. I’ve been around two RUM’s (I know it’s not a great argument), much more recoil, the ammo is almost impossible to find, and from what I remember, is much more in cost than the Win. I have no experience with the Weatherby but I do know that the ammo is high as well.

There’s a bit a difference out to 400-450 (my max) but but I don’t really want to get too much into ballistics as I’ll likely lose.

I’d have no problem taking my 30-06 on any North American hunt but I’m giving that gun to my son. The .300 that I have now will hopefully take me to the end of my go to g career..

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
A few years back Sportsmans Warehouse had 3 (I believe)
new 30-06 Browning A-Bolts for $275 on clearance.

Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker
Jason: Yes, you SHOULD have bought all three. My son had a similar experience at one of the Walmarts here in Las Vegas, and he came home with 5 beautiful wood stocked Weatherbys in various calibers-none were Weatherby proprietary calibers. Walmart told him that they weren't going to carry or sell those particular types of rifles anymore. Moral to the story: Strike when the iron is hot!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
A few years back Sportsmans Warehouse had 3 (I believe)
new 30-06 Browning A-Bolts for $275 on clearance.

Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker
Jason: Yes, you SHOULD have bought all three. My son had a similar experience at one of the Walmarts here in Las Vegas, and he came home with 5 beautiful wood stocked Weatherbys in various calibers-none were Weatherby proprietary calibers. Walmart told him that they weren't going to carry or sell those particular types of rifles anymore. Moral to the story: Strike when the iron is hot!

You are correct! Unfortunately, I often miss out on opportunities like this and being stubborn, I let them slip away. As I get older, I am a little better, but not much! It sounds like your son did well!

one of us
posted Hide Post
That beautiful rifle on the left is my partner Phill's
30-06. I also shoot left handed and Old Sir Phill ( the help always called him that in Namibia) always takes his own rifles on safari and they are exquisite works of art. I did not go through the hassle of travelling with my rifles so I used one of his own for the Zambia trip.

Mighty sweet deal for me.

My long ago PH was a game ranger among other doings in Rhodesia. He had a standing order for 16 buffalo a week from a butchery. Sometimes a double order.

Big herds would come out of Wankie and he would parallel the herds - shooting with a 30-06. If he muffed a shot he would take his 458 and sort out the critter.

He shot something like 2,000 buffalo and was only charged 4 or 5 times.

I spent a few days many years ago trying to get a lon with a chap named Lolly Sussens. His back up rifle was a 30-06 with 250 grain bullets. I have never seen such a load since - although I must admit that I have not looked very hard.

Interesting topic .. I love it!

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
That beautiful rifle on the left is my partner Phill's
30-06. I also shoot left handed and Old Sir Phill ( the help always called him that in Namibia) always takes his own rifles on safari and they are exquisite works of art. I did not go through the hassle of travelling with my rifles so I used one of his own for the Zambia trip.

Mighty sweet deal for me.

My long ago PH was a game ranger among other doings in Rhodesia. He had a standing order for 16 buffalo a week from a butchery. Sometimes a double order.

Big herds would come out of Wankie and he would parallel the herds - shooting with a 30-06. If he muffed a shot he would take his 458 and sort out the critter.

He shot something like 2,000 buffalo and was only charged 4 or 5 times.

I spent a few days many years ago trying to get a lon with a chap named Lolly Sussens. His back up rifle was a 30-06 with 250 grain bullets. I have never seen such a load since - although I must admit that I have not looked very hard.

Interesting topic .. I love it!

Please send Sir Phil my regards. A well-deserved croc that.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the Pom:
Andrew's rifles are like his vehicles. Nothing to look at but totally functional.

His vehicles may be ‘Spartan’ but I like that Charles Osborne 404 Jeffery of his. Quite a nice rifle in my humble opinion. We have hunted a number of times together, he with that Osborne 404J and me with my Dakota Safari 404J. Great memories.

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Andrew, I am not educated in Crocs very much, but that one in the pic looks like a brute. Is he? Length? His head/body looks, well, ‘round’!

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
quote:

Andrew, I am not educated in Crocs very much, but that one in the pic looks like a brute. Is he? Length? His head/body looks, well, ‘round’!

Yes he was a brute

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy Moly! Thanks for the pic Andrew.

I only want to meet a monster like that in the scope of my rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Love the absolutely beautiful wood in those two rifles! WOW! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles indeed. Many years ago, when my son was about 3, we took him to the Dallas zoo + while walking past the croc area, there was this old one that had his eye on my son the whole way. Scared the hell out of my wife as he just grinned with evil intent.

Posts: 4388 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
Beautiful rifles indeed. Many years ago, when my son was about 3, we took him to the Dallas zoo + while walking past the croc area, there was this old one that had his eye on my son the whole way. Scared the hell out of my wife as he just grinned with evil intent.

As it made national news, I assume you heard about the recent issues at the Dallas Zoo.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/08...ffidavits/index.html

It did not come as a surprise. The zoo is located south of downtown. A friend with extensive hunting experience is also an owner of a wrought iron metallurgy company with a contract to do repairs. Years before this current mess, he said often times when getting late night calls for breaches into the zoo fences, he would recognize the smell of animals on the braai.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I can hunt anything in the world with a 30-06!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aha...you would hunt elephant in the jesse with a 30-06..?

Do you have a death wish..?

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
Aha...you would hunt elephant in the jesse with a 30-06..?

Do you have a death wish..?

Yes I would.

And I don’t have a death wish.

Frontal shots on elephant are never 100 percent sure.

I know from talking to hunters who have used them with rifles ranging from the 375 to the 577 T.Rex.

And Taylor’s knockdown is just pure bullshit.

I have killed elephants in very thick bush, some were actually chasing us.

Tuskless cows.

And I used my 375/404.

Which to many so called experts is not very adequate. clap

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, I was using 220-grain monolithic solids for Hippo. They would work on the elephant and Bell used his 7x57 with deadly effect.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
There's lots to be said in favor of the 30-06. Truth be told we only need a couple of rifles. But the '06 is really boring because it just works.

Posts: 1032 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
There's lots to be said in favor of the 30-06. Truth be told we only need a couple of rifles. But the '06 is really boring because it just works.

And due to the endless silly writings of ignorant arm chair writers.

BIGGER IS BETTER!

Which is as truthful as Taylors Knockdown Values.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've taken a few "light rifles" from .375 to various .300 magnums, but the .30-06 is my current light rifle. And with appropriate solids, it would do it all, not that I would try that. But it certainly works on all plains game.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
quote:

I've taken a few "light rifles" from .375 to various .300 magnums, but the .30-06 is my current light rifle. And with appropriate solids, it would do it all, not that I would try that. But it certainly works on all plains game.

The barrel of my 30-06 got shot out years ago and I carry my .404J which fits me very well

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Administrator
posted Hide Post
If there was no law governing the caliber for dangerous game, I would happily hunt with a 30/404 I have developed and built.

With my own Walterhog bullets, I have absolutely no reason to feel I am under gunned for anything.

I have decided this after many years of hunting.

I have learned that bullet type and bullet placement is important.

Nothing else matters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have no problem shooting buffalo with a .30-06 if the conditions were perfect. Under those circumstances, I'm sure the buffalo would die nicely. Those conditions seldom present, however.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Penetration, with the same bullets in the same animals, with various wildcat 270 caliber rifles, and my 375/404, has been very similar.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up on a far West Texas ranches, began my hunting career in Mexico shootin deer with a22 rifle to feed a fencing crew, then went to the 25-35 win and 30-30 win then a 250-3000 for lots of deer and 4 or 5 elk and one bear..left the ranch out of school and worked on other ranches and purchased a 257 roberts and a 270 and many more..married and guided and got into LE, booked and guided hunts on the side, then full time for many years world wide..Always has a lot of guns and traded, boutght a lot of guns, built gun and ranched..You can cover a lot of ground in 88 years..

Today my go to rifles to hunt with have been the 30-06 mod 70 pre 64 and a fN 98 Mauser 9,3x62..
and some family guns, too many in fact..Any caliber suits me, just change how I hunt depending on caliber..still own the winchesters and the savage..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I'd have no problem shooting buffalo with a .30-06 if the conditions were perfect. Under those circumstances, I'm sure the buffalo would die nicely. Those conditions seldom present, however.

As a kid, I shot numerous Buff with the 30-06 and on occasion had to clean up. Then I moved on to the .404J

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No doubt Andrew.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rereading this thread brought back a memory I had forgotten, as it was over 50 years ago.

When I was in college, around age 19-20, I bought my first centerfire rifle, a 30-06. I wanted to hunt big game for the first time in my life, and my roommate had already hunted deer/elk with his family around Walsenburg, CO. Knowing nothing about big game rifles, I asked him what caliber I should buy, and he gave me great advice; a 30-06. So, I bought a new Ruger Mark I with the tang safety in that caliber. I hoped he would take me along hunting, but he never did, so I eventually sold off the rifle, and took up big game later in my life, hunting deer, and later on, elk and pronghorn.

I then discovered African hunting, and started collecting all sorts of rifles and many different calibers. It’s been a wonderful journey!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I grew up on a far West Texas ranches, began my hunting career in Mexico shootin deer with a22 rifle to feed a fencing crew, then went to the 25-35 win and 30-30 win then a 250-3000 for lots of deer and 4 or 5 elk and one bear..left the ranch out of school and worked on other ranches and purchased a 257 roberts and a 270 and many more..married and guided and got into LE, booked and guided hunts on the side, then full time for many years world wide..Always has a lot of guns and traded, boutght a lot of guns, built gun and ranched..You can cover a lot of ground in 88 years..

Today my go to rifles to hunt with have been the 30-06 mod 70 pre 64 and a fN 98 Mauser 9,3x62..
and some family guns, too many in fact..Any caliber suits me, just change how I hunt depending on caliber..still own the winchesters and the savage..

Ray,
After reading your posts for the past 19 years, I think the only gun you did not use in your life is a mini gun or a Browing 50 cal. The mini gun, at 6000 rounds per minute might tax your reloading skills.....

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote