Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe-man bitten in two by hippo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Chronicle Reporter
A 47yearold man from Chief Sinamsanga’s area of Binga was bitten on the waist and broken into two pieces by a hippopotamus he had tried to drive off his field, police said yesterday.
Matabeleland North police spokesman, Assistant Inspector Casper Nhepera said Mr Siakaloba Munsenge went to inspect his fields at about 3am on Monday and found a herd of hippos in his field.
“He tried to drive the hippos out of his field but one of them charged at him and bit him on the waist and broke him into two pieces. He died on the spot,†he said.
Mr Munsenge’s body was found lying in a pool of blood by another farmer who had also come to check if there were any animals in his field.
A report was then made at Siabuwa Police Station.
Binga resident magistrate Mr Collet Ncube waived a post mortem.
Mr Munsengwa’s field is 10 metres from Nsengwa River, a tributary of the Zambezi River. Farmers in the area have problems with wild animals and usually guard their fields to ensure that their crops are not destroyed.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9481 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

I have a chance to shoot hippo in Chewore North end of season elephant hunt, but for the money would much rather shoot elephant or buff.

Its a late season hunt and that option will probably not be available to me.

I will be along the Zambezi, 40 km of it, but dont know if it wold be any fun to pot a hippo in the head from a boat, or on shore.

If you all were charged on land by a hippo (or a herd of them!) would you pay the trophy fee?

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to shoot a hippo on land, but I am guessing that if the hippo bit me in half, the parks department might waive the trophy fee.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Andy, there was a tremendous number of hippo in that area in 1991 and the #2 head was from there if I remember correctly. The cost was $1,000 at that time, what is it now??? Great area then, and I hear it still is... enjoy your hunt.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Sako,

I hope you brained your hippo back then because it will cost you $2,500 now. Same as a cow elephant w/out tusks.

No comparison for me.

Thats why I asked if they were worth the trophy fee?

I guess if I were getting bit in two it would not be an issue!

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

I agree that it is not worth $2500 to brain shoot a hippo who is lounging in the water.

But you could hunt them anyway, try to catch one on land and only fire if you feel the situation is both sporting and worth the money.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote