New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ conversion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recall some discussion about a modification that needs doing on the new CZ-550...Some part replacment...Could someone clear me up on this?

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Welcome back!!! Hope that all went well in Tanz.

This thread pretty well covers what needs to be done to a CZ 550 CZ 550 Conversion . Other than these modifications the stock rifle is OK .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Mbogo375:

I think he's talking about the plastic c-clip. Ray, if you strip the bolt and there is a plastic little retaining clip on the spring, CZ will replace it with a more sturdy metal retainer. I never have found one on my rifles, btw. I looked for the thread on that problem and couldn't find it. Also, for a while, some of the CZ's had plastic magazine followers. CZ will replace them also.

Finally, Ray... CZ will provide you with a three position safety that is a drop-in for about $60. It is still located in the same position and it looks the same as the two-position, but it allows you to work the bolt with the safety engaged like the Model 70. I have added it to my .375 and .458 Lott.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I received this by "private mail" from someone with more sense than me... but I did say that I'd never seen a "c-clip":

Quote:

The C clip is metal & not plastic. It is not a conventional flat metal C Clip which is easy to see but looks like a piece of thin, very thin sping "wire"...we are talking about something not much thicker than a bloody pubic hair here and that sits "in" the threads on the firing pin...

As the firing pin spring retaining "nut" is tightened up against this clip it is *very* hard to see especially if coated with oil. It actually works by filling the thread rather than offering a sold surface for the nut to butt up against.

I have not seen the old system, but believe it was two small, but distinctive "nuts", one acting as a proper lock nut. If you can't see two nuts in this configeration on the firing pin, I bet it has one of those tiny C clips hidden away there.

If you have one don't remove it until you have a replacement on hand as I suspect it will lose its tension if it is remove and you will have problems if you try to reuse it.

Sorry if anyone stripped their bolt in the few minutes before I was corrected!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge:

Do I contact CZ USA for that safety? My Lott's safety is a bear to engage/disengage, plus it's noisy.

Thanks

Jerry

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
www.cz-usa.com

They have always answered my e-mails promptly. There is also a telephone number there and you can order it with a credit card... or at least, you used to be so able.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to replace the bolt housing and get a 3 pos M-70 safty for my CZ 404.. the cz housing is too long and has hit my thumb on more than several ocassions as I didn't roll my thumb over enough and that smarts...

I will also replace the bolt with a Talley...mill out some of the inside of the forend and drill out some of the buttstock of the laminate stock and one line checker the stock with a mullered border.

I will get it right sooner or later...

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Atkinson: Who sells the M70 type shroud/saftey conversion? That aspect (shroud, but especially the safety) is my only hold-up on CZ's.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
fla3006,

I took a look around Wisners but could not find any parts listed for the specifically for the CZ550.

Are people buying M70 parts and using them?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Jim makes them specifically for the CZ.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I think he quit making the CZ shrouds/safeties when he bought his dad's business and got so backlogged and busy making obsolete gun parts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brockman gets them somewhere...He will install mine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know what they cost, I would guess around $250 and about 75 to get one installed.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Jim sold his safety building fixtures to Ed LaPour.

Here's his number:
360-479-4966

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote