New
Find
Notify
Tools

Former Pasanisi Areas Tanzania
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What has happened to all the areas formerly held by the Pasanisi family and/or Tanganyika Wildlife Safaris? Were they leased by other operators?

one of us
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge, they are still vacant and in the list of blocks to be allocated under whichever allocation system gets decided.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Translation...they are being poached as we speak.

Posts: 1887 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Future anyway is not looking very Good for the Selous http://theconservationimperative.com/?p=815

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These responses speak to my fears about he Selous GR. All who care about Tanzania's people and wildlife will surely lament what is happening.

Simply put: it is a conservation DISASTER and is a story that deserves worldwide attention.

Perhaps this issue represented an opportunity for traditional adversaries (hunters and anti-hunters) to work together to attempt to convince the Tanzanian Government to consider the wide ranging implications of the dam?

The Baldus Report is disheartening. So much for the exemplary, decades long effort to properly manage the Selous i. e. the work accomplished by Brian Nicholson, the Pasanisis, Luke Samaras, Benson Kibondo, Dr. Baldus and the Frankfurt Zoological Society- now all for naught.

Adios and goodbye Selous- it was a special place.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It breaks my heart when I think of the fate of the game in these amazing areas.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13480 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
81 concessions went by the wayside this year. Sad commentary on the state of affairs in Tanzania. The government needs to reduce concession fees, and eliminate or greatly reduce the VAT. VAT at 18% is a crippling blow to the industry. For some reason the Tanzanian (government) mindset does accept the argument that by reducing taxation more business will be created and the end result will be more revenue.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, keep in mind that Pasanisi held big blocks, Kitwai, Ruvu etc. in Masailand and I suspect with no one occupying them that these areas are also being hammered for charcoal, etc.?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kitwai, Ruvu etc. in Masailand and I suspect with no one occupying them that these areas are also being hammered for charcoal, etc.?

These areas are mainly composed of thorny scrub and softwoods (Mpome) which adapt to the dry conditions and not good for charcoal - the occasional hardwood acacia will probably get felled but those are now few and far between.

With no-one in those areas to monitor human activity its the end of the existing game (Buffalo, Gerenuk, Grants, Lesser Kudu, Oryx, etc.)

Posts: 1936 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote