Find
Notify
Tools

How many hunters on this planet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
I had heard a lot of wierd numbers, but can't seem to find a good source.

Does anyone know where I can find out how many hunters there are in the world?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
last I heard there were about 14 million hunting license buyers in the USA. If we can assume that we represent a fourth of the world's sport hunters, I would think the number 56 million will be as close a guess as you'll find.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
World population is approx 6.9 BILLION....

"WE" are all hunters....some of us get to use our own guns beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzGuy:

That makes my guess of 56 million sport hunters slightly more than 8 percent of everyone alive. I may be too high.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
http://www.dces.wisc.edu/docum...ers.ppt#270,26,Slide 26

Looks like Austria and Germany have more hunters now than they have had in 40 years.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Looks like there is about 8 million hunters in Europe. And 830 million people in Europe. So that's not as small a percentage as I would have though.

They might have us be per capita.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 3rd world countries if you want supper you most likely have to hunt or forage ,sport hunting aside!

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have been to, and lived in lots of 3rd world countries.

Only a couple did the population have guns.

I don't consider nyama bush meat poaching as hunting. And I don't consider some little guy with a blowgun or a spear as partaking in the activity of hunting. He's a consumer, going to the super market. Not discounting his skill, but he doesn't hunt to get closer to the outdoors, he is outdoors.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A hunter is a hunter weather for sport or subsistance. Sorry to say a poacher is a hunter also. To hunt is to seek out your quary. Now if you want to change your query to sport hunting OK so be it. Cool

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
space
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
I don't consider nyama bush meat poaching as hunting. And I don't consider some little guy with a blowgun or a spear as partaking in the activity of hunting. He's a consumer, going to the super market. Not discounting his skill, but he doesn't hunt to get closer to the outdoors, he is outdoors.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
quote:
Originally posted by AzGuy:

That makes my guess of 56 million sport hunters slightly more than 8 percent of everyone alive. I may be too high.

Bill Quimby

Actually 56 million is 0.8% of everyone alive....and I believe you are probably very close to being right on.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Looks like I misplaced the decimal point when I did my math. Although, I think 0.8% is low, by applying what little I know about the hunting on six continents, I came up with only slightly more than 33 million sport hunters worldwide. The number of subsistence hunters (including poachers) undoubtedly is more than twice that.

My best guess:
6 million Canada
8 million Europe
14 million USA
3 million Mexico
500,000 Australia, New Zealand
500,000 Africa
750,000 South America
400,000 Asia

Bill Quimby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say your numbers are way low, especially for the US. John Jackson figures more like 45 million.
LINK

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
With all due apologies to John, it's been many, many years since there were 45 million people buying hunting licenses in the United States. The number has declined every time the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service counted them.

The 14 million I used, for example, is out-of-date, too. The number apparently has dropped to 12.4 million, according to USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/n...-fewer-hunters_N.htm

Bill Quimby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Bill, but the CF article never said 45 million people bought hunting licenses. It said that 45 mill consider themselves hunters, but simply didn't get licensed in the year 2001 (plus those under 16 yoa). Plenty of people don't get licensed every year. Many more hunted most of their lives but don't any more for a variety of reasons - but would still consider themselves to be hunters. Plus, a lot of folks hunt overseas now and I'll bet that that number has been growing steadily for the past decade or more.

USA Today used USF&W data for their article, which includes only those who got a hunting license in a particular year.

12.4 million? I don't think so. But 45 million? I doubt that too. It's somewhere in between, but a lot more than 12.4.

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Steve:

The USFWS works from data provided by the states, and uses it to apportion funds raised through excise taxes on hunting, fishing and shooting equipment. The state game and fish agencies that spend these funds would scream bloody murder if the numbers were off by much, so I would think 12.4 million license buyers in 2006 probably was as accurate as it could be.

Don't know if there is a factor for people who buy more than one type of hunting license in their state or, for that matter, in multiple states.

I guess people who still hunt albeit irregularly are allowed to call themselves hunters if they don't hunt in a particular year, but I don't think those who haven't hunted in years still deserve the title just because they did so in the past.

Bill Quimby

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a number several years ago that listed 20 million as the number of hunters worldwide.....if my memory is correct that is.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
7.6 mil in Europe (without Russia):

http://www.face.eu/huntingin_census-en.htm

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t if it’s worth my time to get into this, or if it even belongs here, but as far as I’m concerned, one of the worst things that ever happened to hunting in the US (and probably globally) was the creation of the Boy Scouts of America.

The "environmentalist" philosophy of “take only photographs, leave only footprints” is almost policy with the BSA.

So whenever I hear that “take only photographs ..” crap, whether from a scout-leader or an environmentalist, I just tell them that I live by a different philosophy: “If you’re not planning on killing something, you ought to just stay the f**k home. You’ll only get in the way”.

Baden-Powell can kiss my ass.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Baden Powell was by my understanding a hunter.

The new philosiphy in the USA is pushed by the sponsor organization of the Boy Scouts..... ready for this The Mormon church.

The morally straight ethic is also pushed by the Church.

That tv show on Showtime "Bullshit" with Penn and Teller did a big show on the boyscouts. I am not really a fan.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
4-H is the pro hunting, pro gun youth organization.

One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Hunters or guys who kill game? There is a difference.

Cheers,

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Brian I agree there is a difference between hunters and collectors.

And I also agree that Bass Pro sucks.