THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A Sample Of Our New 700 Nitro Express Walterhog Bullet
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Sample Of Our New 700 Nitro Express Walterhog Bullet
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know who makes 700 caliber bullets, and how much they cost?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Does anyone know who makes 700 caliber bullets, and how much they cost?

Woodleigh makes them their usual way available in the USA for $79.95 per box of 25.

We make them our usual way available in the USA for $395 per box of 100 shipped.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

I just wanted to know because it costs us US$1.7 just for materials to make these!!?

Copper seem to be extremely expensive right now.

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed

Yes - Spot copper has gone from $1.28 per pound to $3.35 per pound in the last few months. We managed to hold the line on smaller parts by eating the delta for now. At some point we'll have to increase prices on everything.

Blame it on the Copper Barons and commodity traders ... they're taking lessons from oil traders and the food producing conglomerates.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a joke back in the long ago days when the 600 N.E. was about the most powerful cartridge to shoot (out of a weapon not crew served)Smiler Someone asked the old timer why he carried such a powerful weapon and he replied "Because I can't get anything bigger". As an old rifle instructor, I shuddered at the idea of this new cartridge -thinking about the reaction at the shooter's end after squeezing off. (What ever happened to the idea of the aimed shot,fired without even a blink of the eye? I always thought that one well placed shot counted a lot better in planting any animal that walked. (it's why I have read that my beloved 7mm Mauser (7x57)has killed lions -and how I also read that two PHs won a bet with a DC (in the colonial days)by killing elephants with a 22 rimfire (shot in the soft spot behind the ear) -obviously neither of which I am recommending - but, surely, between the current "Magnum" madness and the 22, sane hunters can find a cartridge they can handle and shoot with deadly accuracy. Just my thoughts.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
We hope to shoot these in early May.

Does this mean that Roy will be visiting in May? Big Grin

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I think that although way cool I might have a small flinch after shooting a monster like that.

Macifej, What is up with your web site? I cant access it.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
quote:
We hope to shoot these in early May.

Does this mean that Roy will be visiting in May? Big Grin

Hahaha!

You guessed it Chris!

Roy was jumping for joy as I told him I am making these especially for him.

Living under the African sun for so many years does have some funny effect on ones way of thinking! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1500 GRAINS!!! Tell me, when did they start allowing the hunting of Abrahms M1-A1 main battle tanks? and when does the season start and for how long? Wink
Oh, forgot to ask the bag limit as well.
I'm guessing the tag cost of right around
$12,000,000 US give or take lol.

Seroiusly, what kinda recoil forces are we talking here? gotta be at or above 220f-lbs shocker.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Macifej, What is up with your web site? I cant access it.

Mike

Doing a major remodel which starts tomorrow. If you need info shoot me an e-mail and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Thanks

Administrator
posted Hide Post

The lates versions of our 700 caliber bullets.

A 1000, 1250 and 1500 grain versions with a 375 caliber 300 grain Walterhog for comparison.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a show-and-tell video of you making these on your lathe\milling equipment.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Funny you should say that, because I did try to make a video of the CNC lathe in operation making these bullets.

Trouble is one cannot see what actually happens as soon as the cutting tool starts cutting, as so much splashing occurs that the viewing window becomes invisible.

I will try to see what I can do tomorrow.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, I just tried to video the cutting operation, and I am afraid no one will be able to see anything once the tool engages.

What I will do, though, is take some photos of how the operation progresses, and I hope that answers your questions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turn the coolant off for one cycle and run the part in brass OR use some cheap tooling you'll toss after the video. Run the part with the door open or mount the camera inside.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
For demo purposes, make the part and then run the cycle by backing off (Changing offsets) to dummy run the part with coolant turned off. In machine tool world we call this dry cycling.

Technique used at machine tool show demos where actual cutting is not allowed.

I know your machinist knows how to do this.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMCI*:
I know your machinist knows how to do this.

Saeed IS the machinist, eh?
I certainly know that I would be "the machinist" if I had my druthers.
But, for now, I cast boolits in lead alloys,
or buy the brass and copper ones from S&H or GSC ... Wink

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am wondering what Saeed and Roy have been using for loads in the 700 Nitro Express lately?

It is so much like the 12 Gauge From Hell that RL-17 should work wonders for ignition, even with charges of more than 200 grains of powder.
Works with 209 shotgun primer and no duplex/starter-powder needed!!!

Maybe a 75% load density of RL-17 (topped off with a packing of Dacron filler) with the 1000-grainer, would give about 2100 fps.

100% loads of RL-17 might be worthy of Walter doing the test firing from a benchrest.

I will just assume the 1000-grainer is 1.5" long, and run that through QuickLoad ...

Replica of Old Betsy "Presented to David Crockett at Nashville, Tenn. May 5, 1822"

A 40-caliber/.395 roundball Squirrel&Bear Rifle!!!
JackPhantomHuckleberryHoundDog, RIP

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here is the results of our tests.

H4831 and 970 grains Walterhog bullets. All loads use Federal 215 primers, and 2 grains of Bullseye to help ignition.

1. 220 grains 2026 fps
2. 230 grains 2122 fps
3. 240 grains 2240 fps
4. 250 grains 2300 fps - stiff bolt.

Vihtavuori N160

205 grains 2057 fps
220 grains 2257 fps

Vihtavuori N165

240 grains 2041 fps

Reloader 22

240 grains 2201 fps

H 5010

235 grains 1753 fps

H1000

200 grains and 1200 grain Walterhog bullet 1850 fps

200 grains and 1430 grain Walterhog bullet 1825 fps

200 grains H5010 and 1430 grain Walterhog bullet 1513 fps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

H4831 and 970 grains Walterhog bullets. All loads use Federal 215 primers, and 2 grains of Bullseye to help ignition.

1. 220 grains 2026 fps
2. 230 grains 2122 fps
3. 240 grains 2240 fps
4. 250 grains 2300 fps - stiff bolt.

Nice!
I never met an H4831 load that I didn't like!
I do think the 1000-ish-grain bullet is best too!

Please consider: You might get less recoil for velocity obtained and get better ignition, if you can load some Alliant powder of the RL-17 variety:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Above is the recommended sub-31,908 psi load.
This approximation is 78% density and requires a filler.
190.0 grains of RL-17 gives 2068 fps with a 1.5"-long 1000-grainer at 31,855 psi.

The 100% density load for Walter to test from the bench is:
242.0 grains of RL-17 giving 2582 fps with same 1000-grain bullet at 63,425 psi.
No filler needed for that one!!! animal

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, Saeed, Kind Sir,
Who is going to be "kindly" shooting buffalo with the 700 Nitro Express on your next safari?
What gentleman or lady will be so kind to the buffalo?
Has "Valiant Walter" volunteered yet? Cool

Replica of Old Betsy "Presented to David Crockett at Nashville, Tenn. May 5, 1822"

A 40-caliber/.395 roundball Squirrel&Bear Rifle!!!
JackPhantomHuckleberryHoundDog, RIP