New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hippo vs Rhino
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have often read conflicting reports on which is the larger animal,Hippo or Rhino.Does anyone know the definative answer?

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about weight, I would say black rhino would certainly average out smallest. Then hippo, then white rhino for the largest, but not by much. References I have say hippo up to 2000 kg, white rhino 2000-2300 kg.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On an average I would say a Hippo, but I think there have been white Rhino that topped the scales over everything except elephant.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pichon1

I had quite a bit of interest in this subject a while back. If you do some searching on things like..largest land animal etc...you will get all sorts of answers. Some people seem to be hippo supporters and some are rhino supporters. Sort of like guns and calibres Big Grin

The best I could come up with whas the white rhino was the bigger animal but the hippo was likely to be heavier BUT whichever was the heaviest at the moment could change next year.

From my limited research it appeared to be a case that if you took a 100 hippo at random and 100 white rhino at random then the average weight of the group would be bigger with the hippo. However, the which was the heaviest individual animal out of each group of 100 would be luck of the draw.

The hippo seems to be more often credited with being the heaviest land animal after the various species of elephant than is the rhino.

Mike

Posts: 271 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
On average I would say the white rhino will beat the hippo. But then on individual hippos you get some monsters that far outweigh rhino.

Same as the roan antelope and kudu on avg. they are heavier but then you get some indivudual kudu bulls that passes them hands off.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say on an average basis the hippo slightly outweighs rhino.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Even the world's top experts are not in agreement on second place.

Rhinos

Hippos

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Just a point I would like to make but how many times does the beasts actually get weighed for real. I think that the rhino gets weighed more often after being killed than hippo.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you're right on your point Safari-Hunt.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dunno - the other day there was this woman at the all you can eat cafe Big Grin jumping

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
According to "Hunting Africa, A Practical Guide", the white rhino's average mass is 4730 lbs, and the hippo's average mass is 4400 lbs, (with the black rhino averaging 2500 lbs). Pretty close, and probably why it's a toss-up.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
OK I have a plan I can get hold of figures on hippos shot in a culling exercise from Zambia but who will get figures on the rhinos ?
They are shooting 400 hippos this year and all of them will be weighed measured and so on and so on.

Frederik Cocquyt