New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt for my father, brother and I.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My brother and I want to take Dad hunting in Africa for his 60th. (2009)
Where would be a good region to go, and what would be good species for him?
He's had heart surgery, and a knee that hasn't given him a problem in years, but could, especially if he got hit, or fell.
I think we're all really only interested in PG. My brother might want to go for buffalo, but the real focus is game for Dad.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Go to Namibia. Shoot kudu, gemsbok, springbok, and warthog. Throw in an eland, hartebeest, and a duiker or two. You will all have a great time. Large properties with good food, accomadations, and beer. Use whatever you would use for mule deer or elk. 30-06 with good bullets that you are comfortable with and shoot well is better than some ______magnum that you aren't comfortable with.

It's cheaper than a western Canada hunt and you will end up with a dozen + trophies. The logistics are surprisingly simple.

P.S. I did a bit of the reverse. I took my adult son there and we had a blast. I count it as one of the top five accomplishments I did with my life.

P.S.S Go in 2007 There will be plenty of time to pay for it, but one never knows if there will be time for all of you to go together.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Yep, Matt is spot on. Namibia. No question.
No BS about bring guns thru SAP.
No BS with overbearing porters with their hand out.
No high fence hunting. (Where I hunted.)
Usually cheaper trophy fees and daily rates.
Excellent hunting for Kudu, Oryx, Hartebeest and Springbok.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
P.S.S Go in 2007 There will be plenty of time to pay for it, but one never knows if there will be time for all of you to go together.

Good advice there.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AGlifter,my advice is to leave the old man live his life and get along with yours.When it comes to parents keep distant for peace of mind and good health(both yours and his).

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
AGlifter,my advice is to leave the old man live his life and get along with yours.When it comes to parents keep distant for peace of mind and good health(both yours and his).

Well, it doesn't take a shrink to figure this one out.

Aglifter, I haven't been there, but Namibia would seem to fit the bill for you. I really hope the trip comes together for your family.

Good luck,
FBB

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Aglighter

Another vote for a good valued safari in Namibia. The country is realitively easy to travel in and organised. Not stuffed up yet. The game ranches are usually good sized even if game fenced. Their are lots of properties not game fenced with free ranging animals. The food is often excellent. Lodges are well established and can be quite luxurious.

Numerous game animals to choose from. Lots of plains game, plus if you choose the right outfitter they will have access to properties with elephant or buffalo as well in the North.

I just hunted with Karl Stumpfe ("KarlS" and Ndumo Safaris) who posts here in the Kalahari and near Windhoek and can recommend such a hunt for a son/father or family hunt. Karl told me about a property (or three) he has with elephant and buffalo so that is not a problem.

Visit Etosha or similar tourist sights as well if you can.

A great idea for your Dad and brother.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I took my dad to Namibia in 2004 for the very type of hunt you mention. We had a wonderful time with Vaughan Fulton's Classic Safaris. I would highly recommend him for your hunt as well. I've also hunted in South Africa with Andrew McLaren Safaris. That was also a very fine hunt, though quite different. If you're looking for big areas with no people, go to Namibia. If you want a good selection of game, with potentially easier access (for your dad), South Africa is also very worthy of consideration.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions both here and in PMs.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote