New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uganda
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thinking about making Uganda my next African trip and would appreciate any advice from members here.

I've hunted South Africa, Mozambique, Namibia, New Zealand, Canada, and Alaska and am in reasonably good shape.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I dreamed of hunting Uganda since childhood & finally got to guide a a few safaris in the Karamoja just before I retired.

It's not a safari where you can expect everything to run like clockwork & game populations aren't a patch on places like the Selous but if you can hunt hard & roll with the punches, you won't be disappointed.

My first hunt up there was with DDRHOOK who posts here & together with Philip (who occasionally posts) & with the help of several phone calls to Ken Stewart who hunted there about 50 years ago, we managed to find Bell's old campsite which was rather nice. Wink

Of all the places I've had the pleasure to have hunted in Africa over the years, Karamoja has the best scenery by a country mile......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shakari

Would love to do the Karamojo safari and see that part of Uganda.

I hunted with Nicky Blunt many years ago in Tanzania. He loved Uganda and spoke very well about this area and one of his old camps on the Greek River near Debasian: Roan, lesser kudu, leopard, oryx, Jackson's hartebeest, Bright's gazelle and some buffalo- he did say the Karamojong would sometimes steal his leopard baits!

Of course, this was back in the 60s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve. I read DDRHOOK's write up on your website and enjoyed it. I'm pretty flexible and really don't get too upset when plan "a" becomes plan "b" or "c".

From what I've read it seems like it could be a great hunt.

Regards,

Jason

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Jason,

I guess Nick Blunt would probably have known Ken Stewart because they must have been in the same approximate area at around the same time.

The Bell campsite I mentioned was more or less beside the Greek River crossing & Ken Stewart used the same location when he was working the tsetse control program up there..... His (and his wife's) stories of that time would knock your socks off! tu2

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
One PH with as much knowledge as any about today's Karamoja and Uganda in general is Nigel Theisen.

He basically did all the ground work for reopening the Karamoja and also worked with Philip A who posts here. Philip A controls the hunting rights to the Northern Karamoja.

But I would e-mail Nigel at nigeltheisen@gmail.com before solidifying any plans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve & Lane, I really appreciate the information. No firm plans yet, just starting the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uganda is next on my list of places I really need to go.

to hunt the Karamojo is a longtime dream.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote