Find
Notify
Tools

Matetsi or ( ? )
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Matetsi or ( ? )

I'm trying to do some homework on this...

Because of my limited budget a couple members/friends here have PM'd me and suggested that I choose a place that would be in close proximity to an Int Airport so I wouldn't have to deal with an expensive air charter so as to reduce my cost.

What areas and Outfitters/Ph's should I consider for my once in a lifetime Cape Buff Hunt?

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
My first hunt (2006) was Matetsi Unit 2.

Maybe 1 1/2 drive from Vic Falls airport. There were lots of plains game in Matetsi. I shot my buffalo the first day, but didn't see many buffalo over the ten days.

Second hunt (2008) was Dande North. I guess the charters from/to Harare airport totaled about $2,000. Not much in the way of plains game, but we saw hundreds of buffalo over the 14 days.

So I guess if you are after buffalo and plains game Matetsi is good. If you are just after buffalo, I think the Zambezi valley is better. I think some people do drive from Harare to the valley rather than fly.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Killed my first Buffalo in Matetsi 6 but I think this concession is still owned by a US State Dept persona non grati. She is charming in person!
Greeff and I were in Buffalo every day...from dugga herds of a few to herds of 150 or so. Got almost too close a couple of times----seven steps to where some ran by....but it was awesome!
John Greeff has his own ranch near Vic Falls now....due to a putr crash, I cant tell you how to get direct contact with him now but I am sure weshixon@weshixon.com can

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
My first hunt (2006) was Matetsi Unit 2.

Maybe 1 1/2 drive from Vic Falls airport. There were lots of plains game in Matetsi. I shot my buffalo the first day, but didn't see many buffalo over the ten days.

Second hunt (2008) was Dande North. I guess the charters from/to Harare airport totaled about $2,000. Not much in the way of plains game, but we saw hundreds of buffalo over the 14 days.

So I guess if you are after buffalo and plains game Matetsi is good. If you are just after buffalo, I think the Zambezi valley is better. I think some people do drive from Harare to the valley rather than fly.

Thanks for the reply tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom In Tennessee:
Killed my first Buffalo in Matetsi 6 but I think this concession is still owned by a US State Dept persona non grati. She is charming in person!
Greeff and I were in Buffalo every day...from dugga herds of a few to herds of 150 or so. Got almost too close a couple of times----seven steps to where some ran by....but it was awesome!
John Greeff has his own ranch near Vic Falls now....due to a putr crash, I cant tell you how to get direct contact with him now but I am sure weshixon@weshixon.com can

I'll drop him a line...Thanks Tom... tu2

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
What areas and Outfitters/Ph's should I consider for my once in a lifetime Cape Buff Hunt?

You can fly in to Bulawayo and drive to Omay South. Contact Martin Pieters. I have hunted Omay North and South. Martin runs some good buffalo specials. Do a search in the hunt reports and you will find several members that have hunted with him recently including me.

http://www.martinpieterssafaris.com/index.cfm

Another option would be Mokore in the Save. You can fly in to Harare and drive to the Save. In the past they have offered some management buffalo hunts. You will see plenty of other game on the save including a chance of seeing the big Five. Contact Mark Young. I hunted with Neil Duckworth in 2010 and enjoyed it immensely.

CM Safaris is another option. Makuti is I belive a 3 hour drive from Harare on good paved roads. Good operation, although I have not hunted with Buzz. Mike Jines could chime in as he has hunted with Buzz several times.

http://www.cmsafaris.com/zimba...s-rates/zimcamps.htm

Be careful in the Matetsi blocks. Matetsi six is owned by General Constantine Gureya Chiwenga and his wife Jocelyn. They are both on the US banned list.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have hunted buffalo in Makuti and Dande. Both are fine areas. The hunting is very different in each area. In Makuti, the buffalo hunting is more spot and stalk. In Dande, the buffalo hunting is more tracking. I can recommend both areas. Lots of buffalo, and the Charlton McCallum team is top notch. Repeat business is the highest compliment you can give an outfitter; I have hunted with Charlton McCallum five times in five years.

Do a search in the hunt reports section of AR for trip reports of all the trips,including pictures of the camps in Dande and Makuti.

Mike

Posts: 21378 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
quote:

You can fly in to Bulawayo and drive to Omay South. Contact Martin Pieters. I have hunted Omay North and South. Martin runs some good buffalo specials. Do a search in the hunt reports and you will find several members that have hunted with him recently including me.

http://www.martinpieterssafaris.com/index.cfm

Another option would be Mokore in the Save. You can fly in to Harare and drive to the Save. In the past they have offered some management buffalo hunts. You will see plenty of other game on the save including a chance of seeing the big Five. Contact Mark Young. I hunted with Neil Duckworth in 2010 and enjoyed it immensely.

CM Safaris is another option. Makuti is I belive a 3 hour drive from Harare on good paved roads. Good operation, although I have not hunted with Buzz. Mike Jines could chime in as he has hunted with Buzz several times.

http://www.cmsafaris.com/zimba...s-rates/zimcamps.htm

Be careful in the Matetsi blocks. Matetsi six is owned by General Constantine Gureya Chiwenga and his wife Jocelyn. They are both on the US banned list.

Super stuff Mike and I thank you for taking the time to share these details tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I have hunted buffalo in Makuti and Dande. Both are fine areas. The hunting is very different in each area. In Makuti, the buffalo hunting is more spot and stalk. In Dande, the buffalo hunting is more tracking. I can recommend both areas. Lots of buffalo, and the Charlton McCallum team is top notch. Repeat business is the highest compliment you can give an outfitter; I have hunted with Charlton McCallum five times in five years.

Do a search in the hunt reports section of AR for trip reports of all the trips,including pictures of the camps in Dande and Makuti.

Mike,
Thank you I'll check things out on those reports tu2

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can fly in to Bulawayo and drive to Omay South. Contact Martin Pieters. I have hunted Omay North and South. Martin runs some good buffalo specials.

I have also hunted both Omay North and South, both are good option for buffalo. In my opinion south has more buffalo, in North the buffalo hunting is mainly in Jess and can be very exciting. I remember on the first day of my first DG hunt in Omay north we drove around to shoot some impala. We found some on a water hole and on seeing the vehicle they dashed into the nearby Jess bush. We went after them in Jess and after 10 minutes we saw Cape Buffalo 20 yards in front, we sat behind a fallen tree to assess the situation. Soon we realized that we have walked in the middle of a Cape Buffalo herd and we could hear them in every direction. Suddenly from 20 yards to the left a good bull above 40" came into view and it was decided to take him. However, as I slowly got my rifle in position to shoot, a cow came in front of the bull and started grazing in our direction. She came as close as 7 yards before noticing us and bolted away taking the bull with her. It was my very exciting first encounter with cape buffalo and I must admit that I was nervous. If you want a real upclose encounter this can be a very good option.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ahmed Sultan:
quote:
You can fly in to Bulawayo and drive to Omay South. Contact Martin Pieters. I have hunted Omay North and South. Martin runs some good buffalo specials.

I have also hunted both Omay North and South, both are good option for buffalo. In my opinion south has more buffalo, in North the buffalo hunting is mainly in Jess and can be very exciting. I remember on the first day of my first DG hunt in Omay north we drove around to shoot some impala. We found some on a water hole and on seeing the vehicle the dashed into the nearby Jess bush. We went after them in Jess and after 10 minutes we saw Cape Buffalo 20 yards in front, we sat behind a fallen tree to assess the situation. Soon we realized that we have walked in the middle of a Cape Buffalo herd and we could hear them in every direction. Suddenly from 20 yards to the left a good bull above 40" came into view and it was decided to take him. However, as I slowly got my rifle in position to shoot, a cow came in front of the bull and started grazing in our direction. She came as close as 7 yards before noticing us and bolted away taking the bull with her. It was my very exciting first encounter with cape buffalo and I must admit that I was nervous.

Thanks Ahmed I appreciate it! I would be NERVOUS too.... Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Myself and a few friends are booked for Matetsi Unit 2 for next summer. Buffalo, leopard, and sable are on the agenda, along with some sightseeing at Vic Falls.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
And Matetsi Unit 2 is the Sable-O-Rama!

Good hunting!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that Unit 2 has some slammer Sable. This one was taken last season 45".

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
That is a great Sable, congratulations.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hutty:
I know that Unit 2 has some slammer Sable. This one was taken last season 45".

WOW... Eeker

Congratulations tu2

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Fantastic sable! That looks like Guav Johnson there.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Unit 2 at Matetsi just had an involuntary change of leaseholder. Eeker Perhaps some of the Zimbabwe P.H.'s could comment?

I just got back from Unit 3 (7 days of hunting) and saw 2 long-maned lions, a couple hundred elephants, a nice leopard, cheetahs, dozens of sable, eland, roan, big kudu, giraffe, maybe and 500 or so buffalo... you name it.

The guys hunting unit 5 at the same time we were were in 3, took a great eland, btw. They were in Unit 5 because of Unit 2 problems.....???

HHK ( www.hhksafaris.com ) is running Unit 3 now and I've already re-booked for another hunt. It was that good an experience.

I'll have a hunt report in a couple of days, too.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Madame Joecelyn was most charming....making sure we had petrol so I would have a great hunt....she dined with us and the wine was much better that night....RSA not ZIM wine...

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote