Find
Notify
Tools

Doxy, Cipro, Malarone mixing?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted
I've been reading the recent thread about what you can catch in Africa and to date I have had no problems while taking Malarone with a backup of Cipro if needed. However, the thread has got me thinking about a trip to Zimbabwe this summer. Should I also get a prescription for Doxy or will the Cipro in conjunction with the anti-malarial substitute for that. And if I do need to take the Doxy do I stop the Malarone while I'm on it? Any advice?

What we go through for the love of hunting!

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you should contact an MD that understands tropical medicine. Most of us I think on AR only know what we have personally experienced. Your mileage may vary.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC , NJ has a law requiring the issuing pharmacist to check all pescriptions fo any reactions between the drugs. It's a very good idea !

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Careful asking for medical advice online. You will get exactly what you pid for!

I take Cipro and Doxy with me, just in case. If you have taken Doxy with no side effects, then it's definitely good to have. If you have not taken it ... Well, just ask your doctor. You have to see/talk to him/her anyway to get the RX.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
What everyone else has said.

I have always taken Cipro and another antibiotic with me as well as Vicodin and Morphine for serious pain/injury. If you are in the bush, you may not be able to evacuate quickly - 24 to 48 hours could be realistic - and the closest medical facility may not have appropriate drugs available to give you.

What you don't use will be appreciated by your PH, who is looked to by his staff, and often times any locals, for help when injured or sick.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no interaction between Malarone and Cipro. tu2
Doxycycline will decrease the effectiveness of one of the components of Malarone (decreases atovaquone component blood levels by unknown mechanism).

But if you are taking Malarone for malaria prophylaxis, and get into a bunch of ticks and tick fever prophylaxis or treatment is desired,
you will be making up for the loss of Malarone effect by adding the doxycycline effect.

I would take all, Malarone, Cipro, and doxycycline along in my kit.

Malarone for malaria.
Cipro for the squirts (unless caused by eating too many green mangos) or anthrax. Wink
Doxycycline for ticks and other things.
Topical antibiotic ointment/cream for cuts and scrapes.
Antifungal cream for jock rot or athlete's foot or ringworm ...
I would take both Cipro and doxycycline together if I thought a wound was getting infected.
But I might also want to take along some Keflex and Bactrim oral antibiotics if the kit allowed.
And some dressings and Quick Clot.
Heck, throw in a defibrillator and some suturing kits,
and a bottle of Buffalo Trace while we are at it, for antiseptic use only, of course:

Lomotil, Zofran, that's enough, until the Med-Evac arrives. rotflmo

But I would rather be trifled by pain than carry narcotics around.
I just take some Tylenol if something really HURTS BAD!!! CRYBABY

Larium: US Military quit using it. Doxycycline is their routine issue malaria prophylaxis for Afghanistan, now.

Seems there was this problem with a high profile multiple homicide by someone on Larium a while back ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Doxy only for both malaria and tick bite fever prophylaxis. no way in hell would i try to take morphine abroad but vicoden with a prescription should pass muster. apparently some folks carry a separate suitcase for their "first aid" kit. i am too lazy.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13400 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
jdollar the Morphine is for the PH.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Seems there was this problem with a high profile multiple homicide by someone on Larium a while back ...

This doesn't shock me. A lot of people have very bad reactions to Larium, me included.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I put it on a couple of other threads, but taking probiotics should decrease the chance of needing antibiotics for bowel related issues while traveling; and if it doesn't it would reduce the chances of antibiotic related diarrhea if you do need to take them.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
In zimb make sure you book MARS. save time and space

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote