New
Find
Notify
Tools

Further To The Lion Charge Thread
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! Ron has my upmost respect!!!!! He is the PH I would want by my side. D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone who would like to see the video Pete is refering to go to www.wildgoose,com/lion0001.htm

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
no dice on the video. Never mind , there was a "," on the add. That video's been around a while. It's a canned hunt in RSA. Just not done old boy. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7148 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.wildgoose.com/lion0001.htm

this link works. The other link has a comma instead of a period in the address..

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
That video has been around for a while. That's a canned hunt somewhere -- I think I recall that it is in the RSA.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Just bringing this back (per Charles Helm) for those that missed it. Quite the story.

And the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_yTNo36YOs&feature=related

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19354 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Quite a story!!! The scene played out in my mind as I read.

Thanks,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got to see the "Dangerous Game" episode on VS last night that featured this charge. Fine shooting by the Mr. Crous- the PH team's bravery & dedication to protect the clients was amazing to watch.

If I am ever fortunate enough to hunt lion, I would hope to be in the company of men like Ron.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Woodhits, I saw the "Dangerous Game" episode and, quite honestly, thought it was pathetic. As to the "Lion charge", there were 5 PH's in a "skirmish line". Far from "dense brush" it seemed pretty open to me. The lion was outnumbered and outgunned. As to the "bravery and dedication", I honestly don't think that THEY expected any other outcome, otherwise instead of the instant glad handing, there would have been a quiet "Oh shit, did we get off lucky". Others with more experience can shoot me down. If it was so dangerous, how was it that the camera man was ahead of the hunters shooting back at them? I thought the whole thing was rather sad. There was no mention on the show that it was a "canned" hunt, neither did I see any mention that it was in RSA, perhaps that is why. But, I can quite believe it.
Just my 2 cents
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and well done. You could win big money writting!!!!!! clap

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...neither did I see any mention that it was in RSA...

That's because it was in Botswana.

Posts: 130 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Correct, it was Botswana and the lion had been previously wounded and the PHs were CORRECTLY adhering to caution. Now the other hunt with that "model" WAS a canned hunt with that chinese PH TAM in RSA. THAT was sad, but the lion charge was genuine and ethical. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7148 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Others with more experience can shoot me down.

Oh, come on. There is a big sense of relief after a charge. One that comes out successfully, anyway. What did you expect them to do? All hold hands, do a native chant, and cry?

A charge is about as real as life gets, and is not an Oprah moment. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19354 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
instead of the instant glad handing, there would have been a quiet "Oh shit, did we get off lucky".

Will, why don't you just read what I said? There was INSTANT glad handing. What I saw, was, to use your term, an "Oprah moment". However, I will bow to your experience.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Peter, you have no idea what you are talking about.

After Vaughan Fulton and I killed the lion that charged us, the feeling of relief and happiness that we felt - because we were still alive and nobody was hurt - was incredibly intense - and absolutely instantaneous.

A charging lion can kill a man with one well-placed bite or swipe of his forepaw. If you don't stop him, you can kiss your ass good-bye.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13567 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am struck by the humility of the writer. No false bravado - no theatrical comments about the lion "choosing the way he wanted to die." Such decorum is a vanishing characteristic in modern society, and should be recognized and applauded.

Here, here beer

posted Hide Post
I saw the episode and I think the first shot by the lady hunter should not have been taken. The brush looked too thick to take a shot at an unwounded lion or any other animal. If you don't have a clear, killing shot you should not shoot. If the shot was not taken, a better shot may have been presented later or the next day, saving the lion a night of suffering in the bush.
Another episode of the same "Dangerous Game" show on the same night showed more poor judgement. A PH and hunter after elephant in 12 foot high grass. The elephant charged and was luckily killed before anyone got hurt. They tracked it into the grass and could hear the elephant but not see it. They had no idea how big it was and turns out to only have one tusk after they killed it. The PH said afterward that it was a very close call and they were lucky to have killed the elephant before getting themselves hurt. Seems to me you should not be in that situation in the first place.
Basic rule of hunting: If you can't positively identify your target or don't have a clear killing shot you don't pull the trigger!

Posts: 10 | Location: Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tootall,

Shit happens! None of us was there. The lady hunter may have had a clear but small window to shoot through and just blown the shot. Until any of us has faced a situation like this perhaps we should reserve judgement. Finally given the best of circumstance we all can f--- up.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12972 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off, congratulations to the entire crew of professional hunters who were able to "make a plan and sort it out." And in particular to Ron for his courage, tenacity and tactics. He has both my respect and admiration. Individual kudos also go to the primary PH who planned and directed the follow-up. I saw leadership, communication, command and control. I saw tactics very much like those used in CQB senarios. And they worked!

As for the immediate emotional display by those involved, particularly Ron's display, it's perfectly understandable. Such emotion (read: relief) is frequently displayed in exactly the same manner following similar such life threatening incidents. They occur in law enforcement, fire fighting, military and aviation. Frankly, it's very common. I've seen it, and done it myself. I've NEVER questioned another's response to such an experience, no matter what it may have been. And I NEVER will.

Ask Jorge what his first reaction might be after a night trap on the third cable of a carrier in the middle of the Atlantic, with less than 100lbs of fuel and a control panel full of red lights.

Sadly, the program also showed the antithesis of the Botswana hunt. On one hand we saw clients with obvious respect for lions and what it means to hunt them in the wild. We saw a truly wild lion intent on killing a human. And we saw a skilled crew of professional hunters willing and able to bring the matter to a safe ending.

On the other hand, well, we saw shooters killing--not hunting--a captured, incarcerated lion. A lion with virtualy no cover, less concealment, and no where to go. A lion they paid for in advance and were going to go home with no matter what.

I didn't watch the shooting of the lion in the canned RSA hunt. When I saw the part where the lion appeared to be hiding in one of the only patches of available bush, I turned it off.
I've seen livestock slaughtered before.

114-R10David

Posts: 1751 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted Hide Post
What a great story! My wife and I watched the show last night and must have replayed that charge 5 times. But to hear a first hand account of it is truly spectacular. That is what hunting is all about, true man versus nature. thumb

Posts: 120 | Location: Frisco, TX | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed, just a great story with a lesson. Before I went on my Lion hunt I practiced working the bolt from my shoulder, and it paid off when the lion charged! The mistake I almost made was that I forgot to count my rounds, and I would of went up to the Lion with a empty gun if my PH didn't remind me!

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was a wonderful recounting of the incident. The PH's demonstrated courage and professionalism, yet the the end result was a very close call. They have nothing but my admiration.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Acer:
I am struck by the humility of the writer. No false bravado - no theatrical comments about the lion "chosing the way he wanted to die." Such decorum is a vanishing characteristic in modern society, and should be recognized and applauded.

Here, here beer

Absolutely. A prime example of Hemingway's definition of courage: Grace under pressure. The pressure doesn't get any higher than that. Mr. Crous faced imminent death and performed splendidly. He deserves our respect and admiration, particularly those of us yet to be equally tested.

And an excellent read, also. It put me right in the moment. Great writing.

Edit: I notice that there has been some criticism of the post-incident celebration. When you survive a near-death experience, it is normal to react with elation after such a massive adrenaline dump. You have to vent. Well, most of us do, anyway, we mere mortals. I've had such experiences in aviation and in skydiving. It's natural to celebrate having survived a close one. A hair's breadth near miss in a Cessna 180 did it for me, for one example. The celebration often moves to the nearest pub, too. It takes a while to come down from a natural high like that.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I saw this piece of film a couple of days ago, I like many here, were concerned that this might have been a canned hunt primarily because of the number of hunters and the beauty of the lion.

When I saw the segment on TV last night, I was beside myself. This was the REAL thing. I noted that all of the hunters who could assumed a kneeling position as I read one should for the reasons Crous explained so nicely. The lion did just what you read that they do, ie, single out one target and come at that one person with every bit of its being.

Crous stopped the charge the only way such a charge can be stopped, a well placed shot into the central nervous system. Only in slow motion can one literally see the "lights go out" for the lion. Because of the camera angle, we did not see Crous first shot and only the results of the second.

As to the celebration, after an event like this, elation is the nature reaction. We are alive and the danger is past. Life is good. I am certain that everyone there had that adrenalin drive moment of great elation.

What a incredibly well written account. I immediately knew what charge he was writing about from his word picture. What professionalism on the part of Crous and all the other ph's. This is the kind of support you want when the proverbial is in the ventilating system.

It was great to watch, but considering what could have happened, signing on for such an adventure is truly gut check time. Mssr. Garth has got some seriously good buds. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The charge was really a mind blower. Yes, I would hope any PH would do as well and also line up as much help as possible to look for a wounded bruiser.

After the charge VERSUS goes on to a DANGEROUS segment that is a slap in the face to all. The Asian guy, the hot huntress, and his canned hunt for a bewildered pen raised lion that he sells, and they purchase, to film a "dangerous" video is sad.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having been there, but not the intended victim, your story put a knot in my stomach..the noise of a the roar is implanted in me forever, your story took me back many years..Funny how a Lion will pick one person and ignore the others..hate to be that person, guess you just have Lion appeal... beer

You did have the best backing you up, Johan is a good friend of mine and he is one of the best.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42085 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote