Tools

500 Jeffery Bullet Choice for Buff
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Shameless copying but a real question.

Question:
Which expanding bullet is your "go to" choice for cape buffalo?

Choices:
Woodleigh 535g Soft Point
Woodleigh 600g Protected Point
Barnes 570g TSX
Swift 570g A-Frame

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
During a elefant hunt i had the opportunity to shoot a buffalo with my 500 Jeffery . No problem with a 535grs FMJ bullet ! Imo , if you use big calibers , .50 and more , SP or FMJ are out of question !

Posts: 282 | Location: France / Germany  | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the woodleigh 535grn protected points in my 500 jeffery and i think they are the ducks guts BOOM

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's right ! Theortically is a premium SP bullet a good choice for buffalo hunting . But the 500 Jeffery is a elefant cartridge and in a first time oftens regulated with a FMJ bullet ! In practice, for buffalo hunting with very big bores, i use the available ammunition , SP or FMJ ! Smiler

Posts: 282 | Location: France / Germany  | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh FMJ or if herd situation swift or Woodleigh soft. tu2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Don't forget there are two types of Woodleigh soft. The SP and the PSP. With most calibres, the PSP is a better performer on buff than the SP but in the case of the .500 Jeffery, you have a bit more leeway and (assuming you put the bullet in the right place) either will do the job.

If you're handloading, be very aware of the terminal velocities recommended on the box. The Woodleigh bullets only perform to their very best when loaded within those restrictions.

To give you an idea of the difference between the two types of Woodleigh soft point, (over the years) I've taken several Texas heart shots on buff with my .500 Jeffery with PSPs and the bullets have invariably penetrated the length of the buffalo and came to rest just under the skin of the dewlap or just short of that point.

With the SPs, I've had them go through the width of the animal and leave a helluva exit hole but from my experience, they won't get anywhere near the stem to stern penetration of the PSP.

If I have the choice of which to use, I usually opt for the PSP.

For solids, (FWIW) I love but love, the GS Custom Monolithic Flat Nose solid. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Premium" SP bullets like PSP are in all cases better . I shot 4 buffalos with a 460WM and the classic 500grs SP bullet from Hornady . It is possible but the depth of penetration is variable and inconstancy ! But, if you use big bores like the 500 Jeffery, the 577NE or may be the 600NE , is there really a big difference between SP or FMJ bullets for buffalo hunting ?

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that so many folks are voting for the 570g Swift A-Frames when they just came out at last years SCI conference.

My main concern with the TSX's was reliable expansion (which is definitely not a concern with the Woodleighs) but based on just two thin skinned animals (1 deer, and 1 cow elk), expansion hasn't been a problem.

It's nice to have so many good choices ... I've had problems getting the 570g Swift A-Frames to feed in my CZ 550, though you guys are making me rethink the Woodleighs!

Regards,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote