New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSC CEO GONE?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just saw where DSC and DSCF CEO is “transitioning to a new professional opportunity”, not good times for DSC. Too bad.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2887 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corey Mason?

Posts: 1906 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep…didn’t surprise me in the least.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2887 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not the leader they need....
Wish him well...

Good afternoon DSC Members, Volunteers, Exhibitor Partners and Sponsors,

I’m writing to share an important update about the evolution of our leadership team. Our CEO, Corey Mason, will be transitioning to a new professional opportunity. Corey has been a pivotal force in driving numerous successful national and international initiatives and strengthening our organization. While we will certainly miss his leadership, we fully support his decision and recognize that this move is a testament to the high regard in which he is held within the world of wildlife conservation. We wish him nothing but the best and are deeply grateful for all he has done for DSC.

In light of this transition, our Board of Directors will immediately engage in the search for a new CEO who will continue to build on the strong foundation Corey has laid. During this time, our dedicated executive team will maintain focused and steady leadership, while continuing to advance the DSC mission. Brian Fienhold, DSC’s Director of Operations and Development, will serve as Acting CEO during the search process.

We are eagerly anticipating our upcoming annual convention in Atlanta, which promises to be another incredible hunting and conservation gathering for all. We look forward to seeing you there and thank you for your continued support and dedication to DSC.

Ray Mulholland
DSC President

Posts: 10345 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
Times when everyone piled on SCI and NRA and now DSC seems to reap their own whirlwind
Classic when people in power start abusing it
In nutshell, nobody seems to be immune to it

Posts: 288 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
SCI,NRA, DSC deserved it….

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13367 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
His choice or?

Without a doubt DSC is suffering from whatever is happening within the organization, from the ill-advised move to Atlanta, loss of the Weatherby Award affiliation and now their CEO. I know a number of outfitters I talked to are not happy with the current direction the group is taking... what the hell is happening.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7555 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
So, does “transitioning to a new professional opportunity” mean he was fired? Sounds like it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13594 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
DSC used to be such a good org. I wish I could wrap my head around what happened.

I hope it makes a comeback. I remember the good ole days of driving down for the monthly meeting, spending the night in the meeting hotel, driving back to work on Friday…

…and generally feeling good about the whole org and the money I spent with them.

Karl,
Let’s bring it back my friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37574 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
My thinking is that this goes back to the board vote we had earlier this year.

And all the members that resigned their positions and we did not hear what was going on behind the lines.

I am not positive that this is a good direction for DSC.

Money talks and bull$hit walks or when you belly up to the bar, it takes money to buy a beer.

Sorry to hear that Corey is departing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1623 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear he got a new job.

Posts: 12082 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
DSC used to be such a good org. I wish I could wrap my head around what happened.

I hope it makes a comeback. I remember the good ole days of driving down for the monthly meeting, spending the night in the meeting hotel, driving back to work on Friday…

…and generally feeling good about the whole org and the money I spent with them.

Karl,
Let’s bring it back my friend.

I agree and miss the old monthly meetings. It does seem like everything is getting done behind the scenes.

Karl 2024!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3448 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I hear he got a new job.

Seems rather abrupt. Usually when a CEO leaves, he gives notice to let the board start looking around and then a smooth transition is announced.

Hope he has another job to go to. This job is a big one.

Posts: 10345 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
I hear he got a new job.

Seems rather abrupt. Usually when a CEO leaves, he gives notice to let the board start looking around and then a smooth transition is announced.

Hope he has another job to go to. This job is a big one.

He was fired by the looks of it, or couldn’t stand the unsavory changes.

A sad shame, because it really looks like DSC is repeating what both SCI and the NRA have through.

I knew something was wrong the minute some of top honchos started a war themselves silly rewards!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68398 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Corey was hired he was 100% what DSC needed, smart, articulate and confident. About 2019-2020 something changed along with the Save DSC debacle. I predicted then that this would happen (along with the crazy board changes) to some here on AR as well as to current and former board members. He seemed to become more of a power hungry bureaucrat. I cautioned those in power about my concerns and was pushed out, as was most of the “old school” (there are posts on AR by DSC board members stating the old school needed to go, the problem with that was the old school replacements had no idea of what had made DSC the great club it was. They changed bylaws at least once every year, and sometimes twice to try and correct their screwups (which I also brought to their attention and was ignored), they made the Executive Director the CEO in one of those bylaw changes and brought in board members who agreed to whatever idea was floated by the CEO, some good and some terrible. Now they have to reap what they’ve sown, I wish they would manage to elect a board that could see the error of their ways and correct the course of the club, but the current board is either unwilling or incapable because few if any of them know or remember what a good club DSC was.
It takes very little research to see that the “new” CEO is not the one to right the ship.
I’ve heard from a couple of African outfitters, none are really surprised and quips include…”rats leaving a sinking ship” and “what a twit, mess it up and then leave”.
DSC is really screwed up, I’m glad for us hunters that SCI has moved in the direction that they have.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Karl 2024.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed.

It seems therefore that his services were dispensed with at a very short notice.

Posts: 2020 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something is definitely going on given the number of officer and directors who suddenly resigned . Now this .

I hope this gets back on track .

Posts: 12082 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hear he got a new job.

Any idea what or where regarding that new job?

John Richardson
No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money
Http://onlygunsandmoney.com

Posts: 79 | Location: Asheville, NC  | Registered: 21 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corey Mason Joins WSF as Executive Vice President of Conservation & COO

BOZEMAN, MT. July 12, 2024, The Wild Sheep Foundation (WSF) is pleased to announce that Corey Mason of Texas will join WSF as Executive Vice President of Conservation, effective August 12, 2024. In this capacity, Mason will lead WSF conservation efforts to conserve and enhance wild sheep and their habitat worldwide. He will also serve as Chief Operating Officer, supporting the foundation’s current and future programs and strategic initiatives.

“Corey has served the conservation and hunting community with distinction as CEO of Dallas Safari Club (DSC) for the past seven years and as a Regional Director, Program Leader, and biologist roles for the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department for sixteen years before leading DSC,” stated WSF President and CEO, Gray N. Thornton. “He is a Certified Wildlife Biologist®, and a recognized industry leader in promoting sustainable use, not only in North America but around the globe. Corey has worked extensively with state, federal, and international agencies and conservation industry NGOs. He brings talent, capacity, relationships, and additional leadership to the WSF staff – he is a blue chip hire, a franchise player, and a force multiplier to our team. I am thrilled, and we are honored to have him join WSF.”

Mason has a BS and MS in Wildlife Management and has served as an organizational lead for the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and CITES Conference of Parties and Animals Committee meetings. He also serves on the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation Board and state advisory committees for bighorn sheep, mule deer, and whitetail deer and was a member of the National Hunting and Shooting Sports Conservation Council.

Corey will work closely with WSF Vice President of Conservation Kevin Hurley, a 50+ year wild sheep conservation leader and veteran who on July 1 transitioned to part-time with WSF as he nears retirement. As COO, Corey will work alongside WSF President & CEO Gray N. Thornton to expand current programs as well as help launch innovative WSF initiatives.

“I could not be more excited to join WSF’s incredible team. I have admired the organization’s focus on strategic initiatives and programs, and having worked in the conservation space for decades, I have seen that WSF’s leadership is widely recognized and respected and that the professionalism and efficiency of the staff are appreciated by members and partners worldwide,” Corey Mason stated. “I am eager to support the important mission of WSF and look forward to serving its members,” Mason added.

“As the world’s leading wild sheep conservation, advocacy, and hunting organization, WSF directed $9.2 Million to Grant in Aid, education and outreach programs, and our state, provincial, and tribal agency partners during our 2023-2024 fiscal year ending June 30. This is $1.7 Million more than the $7.5 Million we directed in fiscal year 2022-23 for an incredible $16.7 Million to mission programs in just two years. Adding Corey Mason to our team will help ensure that those dollars make an impact on the resource, and with our agency and chapter and affiliate partners, Put and Keep more Wild Sheep on the Mountain,” Thornton concluded.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just from what I am hearing from several sources, the CEO was not fired, he resigned. He felt that the new board was headed in a direction that would have DSC regressing to more of a strictly hunting "club" (akin to the DSC of 70's and 80's) and not an organization addressing the realities of hunting today, e.g., focusing the conservation aspects of hunting, dealing with hunting issues in a way sensitive to public opinion, public and legislative advocacy, etc. Interestingly the new board seems to want to take DSC in the direction of what SCI was several years ago as opposed to the more advocacy-related organization that SCI has become today. Odd that.

Pretty clear now that there was a forced take over of the DSC board, those that supported an advocacy and conservation mission were either forced out or elected to jump ship before things imploded. The direction of DSC now seems to be more focused on the "C". I also hear that DSC forced Safari Classics out, but have not confirmed that. That may have been the straw that broke Corey's back and leave him with no real option but to resign.

Mike

Posts: 21581 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is on the DSC Board??

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1297 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
Who is on the DSC Board??

https://www.biggame.org/dsc-board/

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My sense is there are really just a relatively few directors on the board that are driving the agenda including Rick Warren and Russell Stacy. Of course my information is largely second and third hand so take it was a grain of salt.

Mike

Posts: 21581 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
My sense is there are really just a relatively few directors on the board that are driving the agenda including Rick Warren and Russell Stacy. Of course my information is largely second and third hand so take it was a grain of salt.

Mike, the BSDs seem to always call the shots.

It’s wild how member involvement/communication has dwindled over the years. The SBOT is much more transparent. Heck, the NRA has been more transparent recently. It’s actually sad.

The ironic part is that Gray was a former Executive Director.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is a BSD or a SBOT?

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is a BSD or a SBOT?

Big Swinging Dick
State Bar of Texas

Posts: 764 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
quote:
What is a BSD or a SBOT?

Big Swinging Dick
State Bar of Texas

Indeed. Sorry for the cryptic acronyms.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike...in the past 3 years Rick Warren and I have hunted all over the world together. In fact, we've already done 3 safaris together to Africa this year alone and have another 31-day Tanzania safari together later next month. My point simply is...I know the man very well, better than most! He's one of the nicest, most humble guys I know...considering his ability to do the things he desires more so than a lot of folks. Thus obviously I'm "aware" of what's going on at DSC, but I don't have direct info as its just not something Rick and I talk about much. However...for those of you that want factual / firsthand info, I'd sincerely suggest contacting Rick directly as he is the DSC - President Elect! I have no doubt he'd be happy to talk with anyone who's concerned / confused, and it could be a good opportunity to hear it from one of the horse's mouth IMO. He's actually a quiet guy, so I doubt he'd make any public statements...but I expect he'd talk with concerned DSC members, if anyone is interested in doing so?

This sort of reminds me of the Tanzania Elephant hunting issue we were both dragged into just a few months ago. Rick and I were together hunting in Tanzania at the time, and both of us were named as the guys involved in the Masailand elephant hunting that some didn't agree with. Fact is...neither Rick or myself were hunting elephants, shot an elephant or were present when any elephant was shot. We were simply hunting EA plains game, and had nothing to do with any of it! The point here is...truth / facts are often distorted for one reason or another, and just as you stated, a lot of info is 2nd / 3rd hand.

Frankly...I've never seen a guy who's more dedicated to wildlife conservation and hunter recruitment than Rick Warren, and I've "personally" never seen a guy who puts more of his time / money forth for that very cause. I know he's very passionate about the longevity and future of DSC, and I bet everyone involved in the organization has more in common, than not!

Kind Regards - Aaron Neilson

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:

Mike...in the past 3 years Rick Warren and I have hunted all over the world together. In fact, we've already done 3 safaris together to Africa this year alone and have another 31-day Tanzania safari together later next month. My point simply is...I know the man very well, better than most! He's one of the nicest, most humble guys I know...considering his ability to do the things he desires more so than a lot of folks. Thus obviously I'm "aware" of what's going on at DSC, but I don't have direct info as its just not something Rick and I talk about much. However...for those of you that want factual / firsthand info, I'd sincerely suggest contacting Rick directly as he is the DSC - President Elect! I have no doubt he'd be happy to talk with anyone who's concerned / confused, and it could be a good opportunity to hear it from one of the horse's mouth IMO. He's actually a quiet guy, so I doubt he'd make any public statements...but I expect he'd talk with concerned DSC members, if anyone is interested in doing so?

This sort of reminds me of the Tanzania Elephant hunting issue we were both dragged into just a few months ago. Rick and I were together hunting in Tanzania at the time, and both of us were named as the guys involved in the Masailand elephant hunting that some didn't agree with. Fact is...neither Rick or myself were hunting elephants, shot an elephant or were present when any elephant was shot. We were simply hunting EA plains game, and had nothing to do with any of it! The point here is...truth / facts are often distorted for one reason or another, and just as you stated, a lot of info is 2nd / 3rd hand.

Frankly...I've never seen a guy who's more dedicated to wildlife conservation and hunter recruitment than Rick Warren, and I've "personally" never seen a guy who puts more of his time / money forth for that very cause. I know he's very passionate about the longevity and future of DSC, and I bet everyone involved in the organization has more in common, than not!

Aaron,

Thanks for the comment. I would love to see his museum in person.

I think what DSC should do is have a meeting like they once did to update the members on the current state of the organization with all the turmoil. The videos only show so much and are one sided.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:
quote:

Aaron,

I think what DSC should do is have a meeting like they once did to update the members on the current state of the organization with all the turmoil. The videos only show so much and are one sided.

Ya, the Warren Wildlife Gallery is a sight to behold for sure!

I agree...DSC as a group will need to hold a meeting, etc, so all of the real / actual facts can be laid on the table for all to see. I too hope they do so soon!

Regards,

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Aaron,

I agree...DSC as a group will need to hold a meeting, etc, so all of the real / actual facts can be laid on the table for all to see. I too hope they do so soon!

Regards,

Transparency is lacking too much in a world where transparency is simple.

Speaking of, I just noticed the Idaho on your tag line. That’s a state I intend to visit.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Aaron,

Regards,

Transparency is lacking too much in a world where transparency is simple.

Speaking of, I just noticed the Idaho on your tag line. That’s a state I intend to visit.

Agreed!!

I just haven't changed anything here on AR, as I rarely post anymore. I live now back in Colorado and Florida in the winter! Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Good to hear from you Aaron…hope you are well! Sounds like you are! Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37574 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote