New
Find
Notify
Tools

Klipspringer Trophy Fees?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was perusing different sites, mostly dreaming about a hoped for future plains game hunt. I really enjoyed chasing around after Steinbok and seeing duikers and DikDiks. Hunting them intriques me. In looking over trophy fees, I noted that of the small guys, the klippy stands out as an pretty high fee compared to the other little antelopes. I farmed off and on all my life,so understand the general basics on how a rancher would reach the trophy fee. What is it about these little antelope that increases there value so much? Just curious.
Thanks
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on where you hunt them.

In Tanz, the areas I hunted they wanted $1800 for one.

In Zim, I paid I think $650 back a few years on the Save.

I think its more the numbers around, and how the government views them.

Posts: 10989 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Klippie and dik dik are each around $1100 in Namibia these days. Supply and demand.

One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
The effort that goes into hunting one of these small guys also plays a role, as does traveling time and distance.

Of course supply and demand plays a major role.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The PH is the one that puts in all the effort , and mileage , climbs all the hills jumps from rock to rock after the little buggers , and we see NONE of the trophy fee

Posts: 49 | Location: ZIMBABWE | Registered: 17 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
They're pretty universally $1,200 in Zim these days from my experience. Quotas on them tend to be low as well which drives the price a bit.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
In parts of South Africa, they are rare and very sought-after.
You can quite often shoot one while hunting other animals in the mountains, such as vaal rhebuck and kudu, but targetting a klipspringer in particular often means two days of hard walking and climbing with only a couple of opportunities.

Posts: 786 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zambezi Hunters list the trophy fee at $1000.00 now.
In 3 trips to Africa, I've only seen 1 & the quota was already gone.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.mazungasafaris.com/mazunga-fees2013.htm

$800 in the attached link for 2013 on the Bubye Conservancy.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
On my wish list for this year in South Africa, Trophy fee is $650.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I took one this past October with CMS in the Dande Safari Area. $750 TF. Took 8 trips to finally get one. I'd tried several times before but I had never seen a decent male.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bfly,

Look a little further and check out TF's for red duiker, blue duiker and suni. The klippie will seem far more reasonable after lookng at these numbers.

From a 2013 RSA trophy fee list:

Red duiker $1600
Blue duiker $1600
Suni $3000

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I was only comparing Klipspringers to other smaller antelopes on the sites I was looking at. I knew that some of the small guys are pretty costly per pound and hard to find on a good day. I gave it some more thought and I can see that based on the niche that Klipspringers live in, the carrying capacity of any given area would be small and populations would necessarily be low. I suspect that they are much like our ruff grouse, not terribly conducive to intensive management. And so like our grouse, making hearing one, or seeing one or, even less likely, shooting one, more valuable than size would seem to indicate.
Thanks again
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Where I hunted in Namibia last year I saw 5 before I shot one. I don't know if it is on quota or not but my PH said they only take one a year if that. Saw an awful lot of Steenbuck as well, more than I can remember, seemed like they were behind every bush. I hunted with Agarob Hunting Safaris.

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ej:
Where I hunted in Namibia last year I saw 5 before I shot one. I don't know if it is on quota or not but my PH said they only take one a year if that.

I hunted in Damaraland and Dik Dik and Klipsringer were both on a quota system. That said, Klipspringer were all over the place and Dik-Dik were no problem to take on a 10 day hunt. As you note, Steenbok were seemingly ubiquitous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last time I was in the Save' (2011) I had on my wish list Grysbok and although we saw a couple, we saw several Klipspringer. I wanted to collect a Klipspringer but there were none left on quota. Will try to get one in 15 when I head back.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote