Notify
Tools

Botswana
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted
Hi,
Just wondered if anybody could give me some info. on Botswana. I'd like to know more about some the smaller things, plants, bugs, etc. I'm doing some searches, but if anybody's been there and can comment I'd appreciate it.

Also, any leads on some hunting history of the area during the 1950s would be great, too.

Thanks,
Mark.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Speaking only about the present day, it would seem that the elephant have nearly eaten it all up.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
300H&H,

I can give you a whole lot of info, but will restrict to recommending a single book to start off with: KALAHARI - Life's Variety in Dune and Delta by Michael Main ISBN 1 86812001 5

Once you have read this one, get a copy of KALAHARI HYAENAS by M G L Mills ISBN 0-04-445328-0 for some real insight into the lives of the Kalahari predators.

Thereafter feel free to ask more specific questions. I can recommend many more books and refer you to persons who know the history better than I do.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Classic books by Lourens van der Post...Soul or the Hunter and another one, can't remember the title. Lost something of the Kalahari.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Seq
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, quite a few PH’s relocated to Botswana, mostly around Maun, when Kenya banned hunting in 1977, amongst them Fred Bartlett and Harry Selby of “Horn of the Hunter†fame. Selby is still there, though no longer guiding. When I was in Maun a couple of months ago I met another of the many local hunting legends named Willie Phillips who is a Motswana. He has also stopped guiding and has returned to the bush to enjoy his retirement.
I also just finished reading “Fabled Tribeâ€, an account of an expedition that went into the Delta in the early ‘60s to look for a tribe of Delta Bushmen. There’s a bit about the croc hunters of the time in it. This was, (I think), before Trophy Hunting came to the Delta.
For the Flora and Fauna, I wood do a search at www.bookfinder.com. I’m sure you’ll find quite a bit there.
Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, here’s a link to Harry Selby’s daughter’s web page where she talks about her father.
http://gabrimaun.tripod.com/HarrySelby.html

S.

one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Seq

Thanks for the link to Harry's daughter's web page I enjoyed it. I am hunting Botswana next year for elephant with Chris Collins one of Harry's PH's at Safari South, Hope to have Harry join us in camp.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, guys.
Andrew, I'll PM you if I need some more help.

take care,
Mark.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote