THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How do they do it? Financially I mean?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do they do it? Financially I mean?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
S/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know, but I wish I was his assistant in charge of taking care of the general.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
COL (P) Boddington is a reserve officer, it is a part time job, he has several other jobs.

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I understand, most of his hunts are corporate sponsored, he has his book/dvd sales and TV spots, etc., etc.

Bottomline, he's wired into a pretty cushy existence, and in my opinion has a lot of folks snowed...I'm not real impressed with his insight, but hey, they need somebody to be the voice out there in the media world.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ALF,
i don't know anything at all about Col. Boddington, so I can't comment on him. But I just got my latest copy of OVUS magazine last night & looking through the pics of the hunters around the world hitting their world slam's or super slam's, or mulitple times North American Slam's, you don't notice many hunt reports that start out..."Joe Blow, a plumbers helper from...". But there are quite a number of "Count..." or "His Royal..." or "Dr. ... retired"

Not trying to sound like sour grapes at all because I made my career bed all on my own & have no regrets, but in the world of "World Slam" sheep hunters There appears to be a good % of inherited money & independently wealthy folks who either worked hard and or smart & it paid off in spades.Darned few hunters like myself who scratch together an ibex hunt about every 3 years or so from drawing a paycheck!!! LOL.

Mike

"Too lazy to work and too nervous to steal"

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to meet Boddington at Detroit SCI. He's a nice enough guy, is happy to talk to lowly commoners like me. Razzer

He writes a lot of books, magazine articles, sells videos, etc for income and has plenty of sponsors accordingly due to name recognition. I bet it took many years to get where he is at.

I am sure he has enough sponsor donations to suppliment over and above the rest of his income. I really don't see anything wrong with how he does it. I know there are others who are able to get good sponsors, etc and go on premium hunts. Some of them do post on A-R (no, not me though I wouldn't turn a sponsor down). He has spent many years building this as a business.

It was obvious to me when I met him that his daughter is closely following in her daddy's footprints. She will make it too, she is very pretty and has inherited name recognition.

Anway, I am looking for sponsors....

thumb

~Ann

Posts: 19560 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
From the general nature of chat sites (and blatant jealousy on this specific topic) I’m sure this thread will turn to lots of flames... BUT,

I’ve been fortunate to get to hang around Boddington quite a bit in the last 10 years and I can assure you he gets much less of a free ride than everyone thinks.

He’s gotten where he is and has done what he’s done by a tremendous amount of HARD WORK and SACRIFICE; the likes of which few of us can comprehend.

He not only writes for most of the decent publications but he writes for a whole bunch of things you’ve never heard of. His schedule would KILL most people; it’s nothing short of insane.

If everything were FREE and that life was EASY how come the other couple hundred thousand of us that would love to “get paid to go hunting†haven’t figured it out?!?

All the best,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Kyler,

Very well said. I'm just sorry some of the knot heads on this site ran Boddington off. Like him or not, there are few people you will talk to with his world-wide hunting experience.

BOWHUNR

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´ve done a few outdoor articles and it´s a lot of hard work: First you need the idea, then a publication that´s interested, the hunt has to pan out and you need good pics.

Then you have to write it and pretty often rewrite it...and rewrite it.

So far I don´t see any sponsors lining up at my door and my writing just barely covers my expences. I hardly see myself as a new Boddington and I´m not sure that I´d want to make a living out of my hobby. Doing some writing is fun though.

CB got where he is today by working his butt off for many years so he´s earned his position.

IMO

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I know about some friends who do this writing business for a living, their schedule is dreadful. As an example one of them wrote 180 publications in one year. Not all full articles of course, but still. Figure it out, 180 in one year. Take off time for weekend, pretending to have a family life, and just plain off-days, days spent in and travelling to "the field" to gather all your inspiration and material, visiting shows, working the network, etc, you are looking at about one publication a day!

I publish about 5 or 6 articles a year... and cewe is right, it doesn't cover expenses, not nearly. But it is fun! nut

And like Ann said: if anybody wants to sponsor me, my contact details can be found on my website! clap

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always lots of opinions... My information comes from several well known players in the industry...one is Gary Reeder, who frequents the big conventions and shows.

Another is a friend, whose name I won't drop for personal reasons, has had several opportunities to share a table or a discussion with CB. He does get sponsor help and he has expressed the old "Hey, it's a tough life, but someone has to do it..." attitude about his hunting exploits. He is not paying for all his many hunts like most of us.

He has made it known on numerous occasions that he prefers that he be addressed as "Mr." or "Col." in public and generally comes off as a self-made "expert" in his field. However, there are many, myself included, who do not share much of his philosophy in regards to caliber choices for given situations, hunting methods and the "corporate" mentality towrd the shooting sports.

I respect him for his acheivements, but don't and won't buy his products, dvd's, books, etc. as I don't find them necessary for my own self-improvement.

He does get invited on hunts and has had many opportunities that the average hunter can only dream of...so be it. That was the original question...."How does he do it?" That's how he does it.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
ALF, I think it would be a combination of being managing editor of about four or five magazines,, and writeing articles in a dozen others, the pay for being a BRG General in the Marine Reserve, about ten well selling books, some on the second printing, and printed in several languages. Along with endorcements from products, and his TV, and film sales. Not to mention, that there are simply lots of rich people who want to hunt with him, and are willing to chip in! CB has been at this hunting game a long time, and he could stop now, and do nothing but write accounts of his hunts, and make a good liveing for the rest of his life. I have a feeling he would rather be hunting, till he dies, and let someone else write about it after he is gone. I have no doubt someone will do just that! thumb

I simply wish I was in the same possition! Unlike others, I like sour grapes! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I happen to be an acquaintance of Craig and while I will not stretch the point and call him a friend, we do communicate from time to time. I think Kyler's explnation best describes him. He's a hard worker and very down to earth. Sure he gets some good deals and why not? he has good credibility and he knows what he is talking about.
Yes he's lucky in some ways and in that regard I'm happy for him. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Alf, I have asked myself the same questions many times. And I keep comming up with the same answere. While some of the $$$$ is inherited, most of it started with good decisions many years ago (education), sacrifice (self, family, and friends), and focus (hard work).

Even when we think we have it all covered, stuff happens boohoo and we read about the hunt instead of hunting, Roll Eyes

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Gen. Boddington is a General, boys, not a Colonel.

From http://www.cdi.com, "Armed Forces In The Middle East":
Military nuclear, biological, and chemical defense efforts in Kuwait are being run by Combined Joint Task Force Consequence Management, under the command of U.S. Brig. Gen. Craig Boddington. This includes the Czech 4th NBC Defense Company, the U.S. 101st Chemical Company (Forward), and a German unit in Kuwait from the 7th Nuclear-Biological-Chemical Defense Battalion with six Fuchs biological & chemical warfare detection vehicles and around 50 personnel. However, in the event of a unilateral U.S. attack on Iraq, the force may be withdrawn

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how he does it, but more power to him as long as he isn't casting gloom over our hunting heritage or dreams. If you go back and read some of his early work, he states that the safaris were limited because because he couldn't afford full bag affairs. He took a lot of risks hunting Zim in the late 70's or early 80's, and I expect those hunts were pretty cheap because of that. Not too many people willing put themselves into those situations as a visiting hunter. He also infers that he may have borrowed money to finance some of those early hunts.

I've got no problem with him getting comped safaris, animals or trips if a manufacturer wants him to test a rifle, bullet, etc... on a trip as long as he is truthful in writing about the results. I have no reason to believe he isn't truthful, either.

I don't know how many monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual publications he writes for each year, but seems like he has authored a couple dozen books, some of which I cherish as fine reading. With his income as a Brig General in Reserve or Corps, his writings, and so on, it seems like the man is doing pretty well for himself and has made his way in the world on his own. Good for him. Seems like there is a bit of sacrafice and priority arrangement there, especially in the early years, that many of us either didn't think about or weren't willing to commit to.

If he publishes (or owns the copyright) his own material, can any of these hunts be deducted as business expenses for his writing income?

Gates, Yuren, Klein, de Hoz, Jamsheed, etc... were wealthy industry figures, while Abdoreeza, Roosevelt, Mellon, etc... were born into wealth and political connections, but O'Connor could be included in this group and did hunt with many of them. I have seen Boddington attacked for people suspecting him of getting comped hunts, but no one has ever went on the offensive about O'Connor.

I guess those here that have incomes similar to Boddington's would thin down the collections of rifles (we routinely see Boddington's rifles for sale on various sites), cars, houses, estates, and so on, maybe make the sacrafices of living on a tight budget instead of buying expensive foods, wines, and whiskeys it might become more clear. I would suspect Boddington's passion for hunting is a lifestyle and takes high priority in his life.

That last paragraph was NOT directed at anyone in particular, but since joining this site in 2002, I don't know how many times I have read members posting of their extensive collection of firearms, some wonderfully exquisite. I'd suspect Boddington's travels have more to do with priorities in his life than anything else.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Who is Boddington? A man of hard work and reputation..He earned it...He has earned the title or titles and if that is what he wants to be called that is right by me...I was raised with manners and respect for my elders and any who earned the rank to to be addressed as they deserve. Mr., DR., Gen., President..

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I really don't care for his writing anymore (I have "Boddington Burnout") I have to respect the man for his work ethic and military service. He deserves every hunt he goes on.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From RHSim

"However, there are many, myself included, who do not share much of his philosophy in regards to caliber choices for given situations, hunting methods.

Seems to me that from what I have seen on AR and in the various gun and hunting magazines, the above statement applies to just about any opinion that can be given about guns and/or hunting. There are lots of different opinions out there. Isn't talking about these ideas part of the fun of all this?

Doug

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
How does someone like Craig Boddington do it ?

It's his job (the military thing is part time). Don't get the idea he pays for all these hunts out of his own pocket. Nor does Condeleeza Rice pay airfare and hotel bills for all of her travels around the world.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several friends who accomplish in one day many times what the rest of us are able to accomplish. They are extremely well organized, that is one secret. For the older ones work output has translated into financial success, and finally time to take off. This includes one retired former career welder, so it is not just those born into the life or with super educations. The one common thread though is luck with good health.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ann and with Kyler. I too, have met Boddington in Africa and have had the chance to talk with him. He was a very down to earth guy and did not ever make me feel that I was somehow not in his league. In fact, he made it a point to, while flying back to the States, come back and talk with me and my hunting companion and share photos of his hunt. I have bought his books, read his magazine articles and watched his DVD's and he has taught me many good things about hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dougaboy:
I remembered a thread from earlier this year that touched on this subject. Someone told a story about a PH who claimed that Gen. Boddington wanted to charge him for hunting. Gen. Boddington posted the following reply among several others.

Doug

Quote from Boddington

"First, I think it's extremely unlikely that any PH I ever actually hunted with expressed dissatisfaction at "the deal" because I have never, in 30 years, solicited a free hunt or gone to any outfitter with any "deal" of any kind. I am told that some people in my business do this regularly, but I never have and today I really don't have to.
Second, as I pointed out (and as many of you seconded), if I'm going to make my living writing about this stuff, it isn't always practical or possible to pay retail. Truthfully, there aren't any bargains on some of the things I want to hunt, so if I personally want to do something bad enough I have no issue with saving my pennies and paying for it. Good examples are silly things like desert sheep, Marco Polo, mountain nyala. I'll never see a return on those investments, but I'm very glad I did them. The difference comes when someone else wants me to do something. Some hunts are sponsored by manufacturers. Some are invitations from outfitters. I get more invites than I take, this because of time, lack of potential for marketing a story, and also because I rarely go hunting with people I don't know. And, after all, after 30 years in this business I know an awful lot of good outfitters that I consider friends. There is rarely any real free lunch; even on an invitation there's travel, licenses, tips, incidentals, and sometimes thousands of dollars in trophy fees and such. Before I spend a whole lot of money I try to think hard about whether I really want to do it, and how much material I can get out of it.
Third, the other thing that bothers me about this mysterious "deal" is that another thing I have never done is promise any editorial coverage in any magazine. I do get sent on assignment occasionally (almost never on a magazine's nickel) so I can't say what promises an editor or even a booking agent might have made, but I don't make promises. This is because I never know for sure what an editor is going to take, and, more importantly, no one knows how a hunt is going to turn out. If it's a disaster then I don't want obligations I can't fulfill. On the other hand, what I do for a living is fairly obvious, and it's also obvious that I write a lot (I don't write well, but I write damn fast). So of course there are expectations, and on my side there's no way I would take the time to go on a hunt without intending to write about it. But I also cannot guarantee response; some stories strike a chord with readers and there's lots of response, others don't work as well. But I don't make promises any more than I run around seeking "free hunts" . . . or charge a cash bonus to go on them. Okay, that's enough, my apologies to all, but there have been so many cheap shots taken from the safety and anonymity of compter terminals that I felt obligated to make this statement.
Regards to all, Craig"

Posts: 280 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . any more than I run around seeking "free hunts" . . .

Not sure that is completely accurate.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A whole bunch of folks make wonderful statements to defend their position on a given subject, that doesn't make it the truth...

CB does what he does with the means he has to do it, whether it be by his own means or by another's. It is all part of the business.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Had General Boddington not been treated so rudely when he recently ventured onto this forum he would probably answer the question himself.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have met Gen. Boddington twice and found him very down to earth and easy to talk to, just the opposite of what RHSims has "heard". He took time to show interest in what and where I had hunted and never at any time tried to "out do" my accomplishments, hunting or otherwise. We found common ground in many of the places, people and animals we encountered in our hunts and had some interesting discussions about them.

I enjoy CB's writing style and look forward to his articles in each of the magazines I subscribe to...I usually read his stuff first since I've long grown tired of "how to" deer and turkey articles! Whether it is Africa, Asia or the South Pacific I know it will be a first class hunt and CB will report on it the way he experienced it. He is one of the few authors that regularly admits when he muffs a shot and I respect that. He also seems to hunt for the joy of the hunt itself and does not seem to be "score" conscious and that I find reassuring as well.

I would imagine he does get a better deal than the rest of us and for the business he can generate for an outfitter, it is worth it for them to hunt him at a reduced rate and get him a great trophy. It may mean filling the next years hunts quickly and with less expense on their part than hanging out at shows, donating free hunts to the auctions and listening to all of the tirekickers!

Plainly stated...I admire the man and respect him. I am sure Jack O'Connor had his detractors too but my children and their children will know of both O'Connor and Boddington. Can't say that about many other writers out there today.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fla3006 is right, the forum is poorer for the loss of Gen Boddington.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:

Since you're not sure, why don't you keep your pie hole shut, instead of casting half-assed aspersions?
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Strange.....I've always considered other people's financial standing none of my business!!!

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by almostacowboy:
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:

Since you're not sure, why don't you keep your pie hole shut, instead of casting half-assed aspersions?
Dave

Because it's based on an actual negotiation in which a free hunt was sought. clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Ann...is Boddington's daughter married?!!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm also with Kyler and Ann. Those of us who have met and know Boddington in various degrees will vouch that he is more than a decent individual. Considering his stature in the hunting world, he is a modest and down to earth individual. I feel privileged that I can address him by his first name.

In one of his e-mails to me, he confided that it was just nice to be home for a few days due to his compressed schedule of T.V. shows, writing, personal appearances and committed hunts.

I too, am envious of his hunting oppurtunities but certainly do not envy his torrid schedules.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This then brings up another point SCI acknowledge through award etc those who hunt and hunt a lot, Grand slams etc. In this be default it means that only the well heeled in society have a change at recognition within SCI?

It's like the Weatherby Award, there is no way the average hunter is ever going to make the grade. Who have been recipients in the past? Only those with Financial status a wealth

I believe the technical term for this is "No Shit?".

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke to him briefly and talked to PH's about him in ZIM. All I heard was that he was gentleman of the top order and an outstanding sportsman. He is a working stiff like you and me just trying to make a buck.

I could hunt like him if I had the self discipline to save money and stay out of debt. It is not that hard to hunt a lot if - one has the time and one has a lifestyle that allows a lot of money to be spent hunting.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ALF:

This then brings up another point Wink SCI acknowledge through award etc those who hunt and hunt a lot, Grand slams etc. In this be default it means that only the well heeled in society have a change at recognition within SCI?
---------------------
Alf: Don't confuse "well-heeled" with "well-off." Craig Boddington is "well-heeled" and Dennis Rodman is "well-off." Point being, money and class are not interchangeable. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems no matter who it is or what they have done there is always someone that wants to belittle them. I have had a few e-mail dealings with CB and I have found him to be friendly, knowledgable and in my an all around nice guy. As for him looking for a deal on a hunt, isn't that what we all do here? Who wouldn't want a good deal. If I had something to trade for a cheep elephant hunt I would surely try. I don't know of any outdoor writer that is as prolific as CB. I honestly marvel at the number of books and magazine articles he puts out, truely amazing.

Our Idaho chapter of FNAWS had JOC's famous #2 Al Biesen 270 recreated by Biesen. I contacted Craig told him what we were trying to accomplish with the rifle (To put sheep on the mountain) and Craig generously volunteered (at no cost to us) to help. Check out the December issue of Guns & Ammo magazine to see the result. Also buy a few raffle tickets to help us and you may win the perfect sheep rifle!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am not a "fan" of the General. I don't buy a mag just because he has an article in it. Neither do I refuse to read them. He has the experience, and if I learn something from that experience I am the better for it. I don't always agree, but at least I listened (read). You don't make General in the Corps these days because your great granddaddy left you money. I think the bottom line is he thought about doing something, made the sacrifaces to accomplish it and has put his self in a position many of us can envy. The point is, he did it instead of talking about it. Now he writes about it and gets paid for it. Maybe I should have kept my big mouth shut a few times eek2

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a self employed person in a service related occupation I can tell you that there is no way that my commitments to community allow me the luxury of doing more than one 2 or 3 week hunt in a year and then that is pushing it in terms of time and secondly if we look hard at the real cost of hunting foreign countries it becomes a financial reality issue.

I think you put your finger on the answer here ALF. BRG Boddington works as hard at hunting the world as you and I do at surgery and medicine respectively. Last night I was working on an article about medicines to take on safari. As soon as I got tired, I quit and went to bed. An hour later I went into the clinic to treat a patient with a bad asthma attack, and didn't think twice about it.

Point is, if we had spent the last thirty years working full time at hunting and writing with the same committment that we pursue our present vocations, we would have a lot more heads on the wall.

Also, I have enough money tied up in rifles and shotguns to pay for two elephants and a Marco Polo sheep.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote