THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Ultimate African Sheep Rifle: .375/404RUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ultimate African Sheep Rifle: .375/404RUM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
cewe
Teaching Hospital + Surgical Residents = Bait for the few hammers to come out of the nursing program.

About a month before I finished my Family Practice Residency (you really couldn't call it a residency; I took it because it left enough time to go fly with the Air National Guard. I spent most of my last two years working ER shifts - made more than the program director ) one of my flying buddies stopped by the main information desk and had me paged down. As I got off the elevator he yells across the lobby "been getting layed much, Charlie?". I walked over to him and quietly said "Just the young pretty ones". He took one long look around the lobby and said "guess its been pretty slow then".
All the pretty nurses are home spending their cardiologist husband's money.

Don't anybody let their kids go into a family practice residency. All they do is practice being politically correct, making smores, and singing Kumbaya around the campfire (wearing OSHA approved safety gear of course). If you want to learn medicine fast, go work rural ERs with no backup. You learn how to do a lot of procedures by reading the instructions on the packaging or reading a reference book in the bathroom. There also always seemed to be one competent nurse around who was worth her weight in gold and diamonds (thats a LOT of gold sometimes). You also learned fast how to write good orders so 75 year old Dr. Magillacuddy didn't get a chance to kill them until two days later when they were well enough to survive his ministrations.
When I'm 75 I hope there are some sharp young guys/girls in the ER to keep me straight.

Another AZ writer,
When you look at it that way the choice is stunningly straightforward, eh?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rip,
Like Saeed I have never had anyone check a cartridge in all the many years that I have been traveling to Africa...

I have had them TRY to count the number of rounds I had, and since the Customs officials in Tanzania cannot count or perhaps even read, this is sometimes a difficulty but the way around that is to act dumb (easy for you and I) and agree with their count...My last trip was with 120 rounds, the official at the Dar Airport counted 29, I said no I have 120 rounds, he stearnly said 29, I said OK 29 and he sent me on my way, then when I got on the charter the guy in the airport said how many rounds have you there sir, and I grinned and said 29, he looked them over and said "correct, sir and have a good hunt"

When I came out they ask how many rounds I had to take out of Tanzania and I said 29, I had 15 and a bunch of empty brass, he accepted the count but was once again scared for life over the fact that I had saved the empty cases and for what reason sir, I simply said I was a poor man and my wife made buttons out of the tops..He said I had a good women, and I said thats because I beat her often, he smiled and said I was a wise man and sent me on my way....

Based on these experiences I have come to the conclusion that the headstamp issue so often quoted on this forum is a rumor and nothing more...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to the vet when in my mid-forties. I was single then, and it gave me a decided advantage with the opposite sex.

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I could always tell when she was ovulating....

"Ovulation may be confirmed by an increase in the basal body temperature of 0.5 to 1.0 degrees F the day after ovulation occurs. Readings are most accurate when they are taken immediately on awakening before any activity"

Wow, got a digital thermometer in your member?

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

I could always tell when she was ovulating....

"Ovulation may be confirmed by an increase in the basal body temperature of 0.5 to 1.0 degrees F the day after ovulation occurs. Readings are most accurate when they are taken immediately on awakening before any activity"

Wow, got a digital thermometer in your member?

Best,

JohnTheGreek

John,

You just jealous because you are in Cairo and are suffering.

Mike

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

John,

You just jealous because you are in Cairo and are suffering.

Mike

As I have told you before, there is water everywhere in Cairo but NOT A DROP to drink! I think after four months in this sexual desert, I just might be able to pick up a half degree temperature variation!

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
RIP,

Unless you just want to have a unique wildcat you might want to look into the one that I have been using. It fills your requirements perfectly, and has the advantage of prior spec reamers and dies. It is the 375/33 G&A (I think that I have mentioned it before in response to one of your posts, but getting old does nothing for my memory).

This was designed as an improved 404-based wildcat, but my rifle readily accepts 375 RUM factory brass with a slight crush fit at the neck/shoulder junction, and turns out perfectly fireformed 375/33 G&A (which has less body taper and a bit greater capacity than factory RUM brass). The beauty of this is that you could just label the barrel 375 RUM (or 375 RUM/404 Jeffery if you want to cover both brass possibilities) for travel purposes and have matching headstamped brass, and no customs officer would be the wiser. Since it is a safe fit in the chamber, you could even use 375 RUM ammo in a pinch. No one is ever going to be able to force 404 Jeffery loaded ammo into the chamber, so you are safe from this standpoint. I can use RUM brass and 404 brass interchangeably in my rifle, and there is no problem with the bolt face or extractor for either(built on a Mod 70 stainless CRF action).

OR, YOU COULD JUST STICK TO THE 375 RUM AND AVOID ALL THE HASSLES .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whenever she was ovulating she would start pretending that she liked me as a person. I knew that wasn't possible, so I wasn't fooled .

I wonder if the ammunition is not checked against the gun caliber due to illiteracy at times. I've had US Customs personnel have a devil of a time trying to read my declarations (block printed, not doctor's scrawled).

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some great comedy material (Ray) and good technical material (mbogo375), and thanks to the rest of you too, though some of it hits below the belt.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,
Excellent idea! I hadn't even thought of the .375 RIP.
Now where do I get some .404 Jeffery basic with no headstamp? For future use. It ought to be coming down the pipe pretty soon.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The more I travel through customs areas around the world with shooters & bullets, the less & less intimidating customs people are. I am coming to the judgement that it is a job requirement (US included) to neither be able to read or count, as has been pointed out above I also have never had any of them try to match headstamps to rifle calibers,seldom even have to prove a bullet count, recently had a Mongolian Customs person trying to match up the serial number on the rifle with the handheld firearm permit while holding it upside down! (I am not making it up! My buddy started laughing & the guys supervisor took it out of his hands & turned it right side up)
The concept of empty brass seems also to befuddle customs people the world over. I will feel free to poach some of the explanations used above.

Mike

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote