THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    300 gr Federal Soft Point for Lion and Buff ¿ok?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 gr Federal Soft Point for Lion and Buff ¿ok?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I¨m planing to use this bullet for a Buff Lion Safari next month, as long as is working good on my rifle 375 H&H
Do you think is a good choice for this safari?
Another choice will be Norma Orix 300 grains or
Winchester Fail Safe 270 grains.
I´ll appreciate any comments regarding this bullets

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I didn't reload, I would get Superior to load some 300gr North Fork bullets.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Winchester Failsafe. It is a much tougher bullet. Especialy usefull when Buffalo is concerned.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a problem with Winchester Failsafe blowing apart. I don't load, but use Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bearclaws with awesome results on buffalo. So good I won't say it lest I be called a fibber.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have heard bad reports on Failsafes but have no experience with them.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine used Failsafes on a lion. 11 of them, from a .338. Yeah, I know it was technically illegal, but this guy is the best game shot I've ever seen and has taken dozens of African animals. The Failsafe bullet did not do the trick. Blew up repeatedly. It should have taken only one or two.

Like someone said, I'd have Larry at Superior load up some North Forks.

I would not use a Failsafe under any circumstances.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems failsafe is having several bad reports so I must stick on Norma or Federal, those are my only two possible choices.
Norma Orix 300 gr or
Federal soft point 300 gr.

Does any of you used any of those bullets?
I have no more choice in this moment.

Regards and thanks a lot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Used Federal Trophy bonded 300 for Buffalo taken in 05. Bullet went through shoulder, heart,lungs and hung up in skin on other side of his ribs. 1-shot, I did also have Federal Sledgehammer loaded in every other round in magazine. Winchester Mod 70 375.
bobga

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with Bear Claws, and forget the Fail Safes

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had very poor performance with the 270Gr Fail Safe bullets in a 375 H&H in Namibia, they either didn't expand and acted like a solid or when they did expand, the pedals sheared off. Maybe that is why they were discontinued.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
... but use Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bearclaws with awesome results on buffalo.

Jeff

Another vote for Federal bearclaw

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Bobga, Terry, Chris-

I like your thinking.

M70, .375; here's a 300 TBBC taken out of a buffalo with 75% weight retention. 50 yards, facing frontal shot, the buff just rolled over and went feet up (watched it in the scope).

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
another vote for federal bearclaws for buffalo, they worked for me.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yet another vote for the TBBC. Used it on Buffalo in 98. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote