New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 375 Bullets for Buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have an opinion on Hornady FMJ encapsulated 300 gr.? They're reasonably priced but I rarely hear them mentioned on this forum.

Posts: 141 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the Hornady's for practice and cat-shooting! Use ONLY the good stuff for tough game.

Cheap bullets ain't good and good bullets ain't cheap.

It is inconcievable to think anyone would pay 2,000 for airline tickets...5-10,000 for a buff hunt...a couple of thousand in tips, etc. and then plan on consumating the hunt by SAVING $1.00 by using a cheap-ass, poorly constructed bullet when so many good premium bullets are available. DON'T DO IT.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I guess this means that that coffee can of copperclad steel jacketed 300 grain round nose solids I have are to be left home.

I could always use them for crushing rocks in the local quarry!!!!!

Citori3...those bullets are the pregenitor to the ones you're talking about....I got them from a plant tour in 1996 and they're IMO better than the new ones.

In the light of very good bonded bullets like the NorthFork and TBBC and SAF these relics of the past aren't in demand.

We still need to practice and cheap is good for crushing rocks and breaking up ice flows in the rivers in the spring.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 300 grain Swift A Frames. Very accurate, minimal fouling and maximum terminal performance.
Best of luck with your search.

Jeff

Posts: 192 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The North Fork 300 grain Soft Point is like a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw with grooves/driving bands on the solid copper shank, with a lead nose core.

Some are curious as to brittleness of the Bear Claws since Jack Carter is not making them anymore, but rather the bean counters are minding the mill. North Fork has the best possible of materials, tempering and bonding of the lead nose core, no doubt.

They will expand explosively on entry yet retain 95% weight most of the time. Geysers of blood and lung may spray out of the entrance wound, or at least the blood trail will be broad and strong from the entrance wound alone.

Ray has tried the Cup Point North Fork "solid," made of copper monometal. He swears by them in the calibers he uses. Maybe they will be available in .375/300gr also. That would be an excellent primary bullet or backup solid to pair with the soft from North Fork, hopefully in 300 grains (hint hint).

Mike Brady shows the Softs at his web site, but he has various new bullets that need to be shown there too. The FP solids and the CP solids may be listed soon. The Cup Point "solid" really ought to qualify as a big hollowpoint soft that will produce results better than Saeed's Walterhog soft at buffalo ranges.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote