THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Ammo and gun questions relating to hunting Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo and gun questions relating to hunting Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
(1)I presume that bringing handloaded ammo into Africa not a problem?
(2)If I bring in 375 Whelen ammo and it's headstamped 30-06 will this present a problem?
(3)I've read that I can bring in 11 pounds of ammo. How did this get determined? Seems rather strange to limit the quanity of ammo to a certain number of pounds, rather then a certain number of rounds.
(4)What is meant by having my firearms registered here in the US before heading out to Africa?
(5)When I'm finished hunting do I need to account for the ammo? Can I give the brass and non fired ammo away? I'm guessing that somebody over there could use the brass and loaded rounds.
I'm sure there will be ten thousand more questions, so please bear with me.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Jim,

First, what country are you hunting in?

1. Not a problem.

2. Yes, in South Africa (probably most other African countries as well).

"Permits will only be issued for ammunition which is accompanied by a firearm of the same caliber."

3. 5 kilograms (about 11 pounds, per the airlines). Some countries limit it by number of rounds. South Africa limit is -- "No more than one firearm per caliber and 200 rounds per caliber will be allowed into the country."

4. US Customs Form 4457. Take your fireams to the nearest Customs office to get this form (call ahead to check their procedure).

5. Empty brass, probably no problem (just tell them you threw it away).

Unfired ammunition can not be left in Africa. Violates US Federal law and probably violates local law.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
JIm,

As usual, our friend Terry gave you the correct answers, now I will give you the practical ones - or as I have experienced them myself.

1. No problem at all. I have been using wildcats for so many years, and had absolutely no problems in 3 countries I have hunted. Zimbabawe, South Africa and Tanzania.

2. All my brass says 0.404 Jeff, and my wildcats are based on that case. Again, no problems encountered.

3. I have taken more than this weight in ammo, but had to put it in a lockable metal box, seperate from my laggage.

4. We do not have firearms registration in my country, so all I do is write a letter to the police, with details of the guns I am taking out of the country, and they stamp it for me. This is sufficient for other countries to accept as ownership.

5. You can leave unused ammo or brass for you PH, or you can shoot it all. Just say you have nothing to bring back with you if asked, and that you have shot it all.

Posts: 66954 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever had a PERSONAL EXPERIENCE where any airline or customs worker checked to see if the headstamp matched the caliber on the barrel? I suspect that most of those folks would be confused in the ammo was headstamped "270 Winchester" and the rifle was of Remington manufacture and the barrel stamped "270 Win."

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote