New
Find
Notify
Tools

My problem with Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My problem with Africa is God didn't put his animals out proportionately.

I love the Thompson's and Grant's gazelles. Beautiful animals. But you can only find them in a couple of countries - Tanzania and I think Ethiopia.

So how does a hunter get to hunt these without spending a king's ransom?

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If its all about money, go hunt them on a game farm in Texas.

I think you might be able to shoot one of those (the Grant's) on a short license in the Masailand, but that's still a lot of money.

You might ask one of the booking agent folks like Mark Young about how much it would cost to buy a 21 day license and really hunt a shorter time and have the quota available; alternatively wait and grab a last minute cancellation if it ever comes to your price range.

I feel your pain, but a Tommy is going to cost more than a new car period.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
If its all about money, go hunt them on a game farm in Texas.

I think you might be able to shoot one of those (the Grant's) on a short license in the Masailand, but that's still a lot of money.

You might ask one of the booking agent folks like Mark Young about how much it would cost to buy a 21 day license and really hunt a shorter time and have the quota available; alternatively wait and grab a last minute cancellation if it ever comes to your price range.

I feel your pain, but a Tommy is going to cost more than a new car period.

You don't need a 21 day license for Tommy and Grants.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always figured the outfitters had a bunch of gazelle's on quota.

My thoughts on a solution would be to tag along as a 'guest' for a week or so and see about just taking two little itty bitty animals while I was there... Sort of population control...

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lde:
I always figured the outfitters had a bunch of gazelle's on quota.

My thoughts on a solution would be to tag along as a 'guest' for a week or so and see about just taking two little itty bitty animals while I was there... Sort of population control...

Hate to disappoint you but it just doesn't work that way - the "itsy bitsy teeny weeny" animals can be had on a 7/10 day license - with a couple of buffalo thrown into the bargain Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my quest for Thompsons and Grants most outfits only have so many on quota and save them for the 21 day hunters.
I guess I'm out of luck

Posts: 121 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billsan:
In my quest for Thompsons and Grants most outfits only have so many on quota and save them for the 21 day hunters.
I guess I'm out of luck

Guess you picked the wrong outfitter.

The attraction of a "short hunt" in the northern circuit, other than the likelihood of an exceptional buffalo, is the Coke's Hertebeest, East African Impala and White Bearded Gnu - you are looking at five distinct if not unique species, totally free ranging and native to the area, which can be legally hunted only in Tanzania.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ide,

As others have suggested it would be much cheaper to book a Masailand buffalo hunt and take white bearded wildebeest, East African impala, Coke's hartebeest, Thomson's and Grant's gazelle, a no shadow stripe zebra and warthog plus buffalo than try to do a plains game only safari. As for you going along with a friend and just taking the gazelles that is illegal unless you have purchased a "Companion hunt" which gives you all the proper licensure.

Also not all Masailand areas offer all species. One or more of the unique E.A. species may be absent or nearly so in any of the Masailand concessions. Our areas have very few Gerenuk but have loads of oryx. TGT's Natron area has lots of generuk but the oryx are scare. Same with the gazelles.

Plan carefully and buy a buffalo hunt. You won't be disappointed.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
There is an outfitter with a Masailand area with no DG on quota. They offer a seven day hunt with a 21 day license, 21 day fees, etc. Thus, you have EA eland, gernuk, oryx, lesser kudu, dikdik, and the likes on the menu. The cost, all in, about 5k per day.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch! $35k?

Wouldn't signing up for a buff hunt with the Tommy and Grant's added be roughly that (or less)?

And Mark, thanks for bringing up the Gerenek. Forgot about them. But aren't they a little more spread around Africa?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ide,

The only place you can hunt gerenuk is Tanzania and Ethiopia that I'm aware of.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lde:
Ouch! $35k?

Wouldn't signing up for a buff hunt with the Tommy and Grant's added be roughly that (or less)?

Yes. That's why I scoffed at the 7 days for $35k offer and said I'll just wait and go for 21 days with another operator and have two or three buff, lion, and leopard on my license. Of course, you're also talking about three times the money too.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys - Some E.A. Plains Game Hunts can be had for pretty decent prices. Below is what we offer at Danny McCallum Safaris on 5 & 7 day hunts, in Ngaserai - Masailand. You can see the website at www.dannymccallumsafaris.com

5 - Day hunt (1on1 or 2on2) $12,600.00 plus trophy fees

7 - Day hunt (1on1 or 2on2) $19,950.00 plus trophy fees

Trophy Fees:
7-day only - Eland $3,750.00
5 & 7 day - DikDik $525.00
5 & 7 day - Gazelle - Grants $1,125.00
5 & 7 day - Gazelle - Tommie $1,125.00
7-day only - Gerenuk $5,625.00
7-day only - Lesser Kudu $5,625.00
7-day only - Ostrich $1,950.00
7-day only - Oryx - Fringe Eared $6,000.00
7-day only - Steinbuck $525.00
5 & 7 day - Wildebeest $1,200.00
5 & 7 day - Zebra $2,000.00

Safari Rates include:
Accommodation in fully equipped private hunting camps and the services of Professional Hunters with 4WD vehicles as specified.
Tanzania Government hunting permits and conservation fees.
Hunting area (concession) fees.
Road transfers between Arusha and Ngaserai camp.
Field preparation of trophies (skinning and salting) and transportation of trophies to Arusha.
Spirits, wines, beers and soft drinks (excluding premium brand spirits, cognacs & champagne)
Daily laundry in camp.

Safari Rates do not include:
Trophy Fees (see below)
International flights and air charters.
Rifle import permits ($200 per rifle)
Hotel accommodation before and after the safari.
Dipping, processing, crating and documentation of trophies for export (see below)
Air freight costs of trophies and personal effects from Tanzania to final destination.
Firearms clearing, meet and greet and ground transfers in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam (if applicable)
Hire of firearms and ammunition costs.
Gratuities to camp staff/trackers/Professional Hunters and guides.
Membership of a scheme offering evacuation by air to Nairobi, Kenya in the event of an accident or
serious illness ($50 per person)

Dipping, packing & documentation for export of trophies:
7 day hunts
$1750 per client

5 day hunts
$1000 per client

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
. . . and to think I cringed at DMS's quote of $3750 each for oryx, lesser, and gerenuk. Look at those prices now! Should have gone in 2010.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
. . . and to think I cringed at DMS's quote of $3750 each for oryx, lesser, and gerenuk. Look at those prices now! Should have gone in 2010.

Will - I assume you are referring to the trophy fees?? Ya, there high! But a WHOLE LOT cheaper than getting these species by purchasing a full 21-day hunt.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that shows what going off the TF sheet that I got for my upcoming Masailand hunt says. Grant's were available for short hunts, but Tommies required 21 days.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles,

Tommies are not as plentiful in our areas in Masailand as they are in some other areas so we cannot offer them to every client. You will however probably get one plus a great bag of other trophies. Uncle Tom in Butte will love you.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
so have all of the trophy fees increased that much since 08? I was planning to fill in on my east african species this year but 5+K for L. Kudu and Gerinuk seems atrocious??

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:
so have all of the trophy fees increased that much since 08? I was planning to fill in on my east african species this year but 5+K for L. Kudu and Gerinuk seems atrocious??

No, not necessarily! The above trophy fees are ONLY associated with the short 5-7 day hunts. If you do a standard 21-day hunt, the Lesser Kudu & Gerenuk trophy fees are $3,800.00 each.

We have these special packages for those hunters that are looking ONLY to hunt the EA Plains Game species, without buying or doing a full 21-day safari.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com