New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: BAM!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sorry RIP, but I knew that without an index and I agree 1 thru 7 is correct!!! Heck my 14 year old grandson knew that!

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP,

What you have there is similar to John Taylor except you are going with the square of the diameter.

I have always thought that by not going with the square of the diameter that Taylor was allowing for a compromise between frontal area and average velocity during penetration.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same reason a .45 auto FMJ pokes big holes through people but a glaser really messes things up.

Posts: 333 | Location: Columbus GA | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
His fist is spread out over a much larger area.
Object struck receives all potential energy within the inch or two the skull and fist flexes.
If you taped a .458 diameter pole to his fist about 3 feet long it would penetrate the target and the movement of the stationary terget (punchee) would be far less due to the extended energy release plane.

Posts: 333 | Location: Columbus GA | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Norbert
posted Hide Post
RIP,
excuse my comment, but MVA for judging hunting bullets efficiency is nonsens.

Tonight I saw the boxing fight of Klitschko in Las Vegas. The MVA of his single punch was ten to hundred fold than that of a big game round. But his opponent is still alive, only ko.
MV/A = momentum density is the basics of penetration and therefore for bullet effectivness. You may add factors for the wounding channel dimensions, its function from penetration depth etc. But that makes not too much sense, because every shot is different.

Your other statements are right, with one exception:
>>Momentum is conserved in any collision.<<
This second law of Newton is valid only for ideal situations. In reality, esp. with tissue et al. the momentum is eaten up by secondary, nonlinear effects.

Posts: 279 | Location: Europe, Eifel hills | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

WAY TOO TECHNICAL!!!! Take this to the reloading forum.

NOW THATS Funny

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Actually, this does have merit.

And although I don't have the maths to prove it - I will give an example, so our learned colleagues can fill in the math bits.

BAM does work - in direct relations to what part of the animal anatomy it hits.

I am going to use the BAM of the 375 H&H as an eaxmple, 12.

Well, Walter has worked out the math for us, thank you Walter, you can have any chocolate now!

Buffalo brain BAM = 76,500
Buffalo rear end BAM = 68,850,000

We therefore come to the conclusion that a bullet BAM to an an anatomy BAM of 0.0002 is enough to kill on the spot

A bullet BAM to an an anatomy BAM of 0.0000002 is enough to give you a bad dose of indigestion

Please don't ask how we arrived at these figures, there were provided by Walter, and getting any bloody sense out him is totally out of the question.

It has come to the stage where I would glaldly choose to follow a wounded cape buffalo in thick bush with a lever action 45-70 than try to get any sense out of HIM!

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote