New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topo Maps of South Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have or know of a source for topographical maps of South Africa? And/or the rest of the hunting destinations esp. Zim, Moz, Tanz, Bots, and Zambia?

Or a web site where fairly accurate Long. and Lat. can be determined?

Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
South Africa has state-sponsored maps available. They are of good quality and reasonable choices of scale. Google should find it for you fairly easily.

I have been unable to get useful topo coverage for Tanzania - some good Russian maps were once available, but are now largely sold out.

So I looked for overhead imagery as the next best thing. Once you know the lat/long the terraserver seems to give the best coverage.

http://www.terraserver.com/search/coordinates_search.asp

The hard part is being sure the overhead matches the area you want on the ground.

Good luck - and send me a PM if you find a good source for maps.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Try Omni Map.

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
The South African Department of Land Affairs, through the office of the Chief Directorate: Surveys and Mapping sell a variety of maps in paper and electronic format.

The web address is
http://w3sli.wcape.gov.za/

If you have any difficulty in getting the right maps from them, polease feel free to contact me, as I have a full set (41 CD's) of all of the South Africa covered as 1:50000 topo maps as *.TIF images georeferenced to work in ArcView. I also have features like roads, railways, rivers and contour lines available as ArcView *.shp files. If you send me the area in which you are interested I could extract the releveant data and forward it to you.
Note: This offer is only for South Africa!

In good hunting,

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote