Find
Notify
Tools

Clothes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
One tip on trousers: make sure they are comfortable for long hours of walking, especially the bit below the crotch that has a tendency to chafe. Your old comfortable cotton pants that you know well are probably the best.

Posts: 786 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Blair: What's pure cotton "shits"? I've never heard of that type of safari clothing. dancing

homer

Mongrels..... Big Grin

Ah the joys of typo's Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair338/378:
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Blair: What's pure cotton "shits"? I've never heard of that type of safari clothing. dancing

homer

Mongrels..... Big Grin

Ah the joys of typo's Big Grin

I woundered why my all cotton cloths smelled so bad, even after washing! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here's a collection of cheap, affordable, high-quality safari clothing...

Here's another cheap, affordable line (they even have 'Botswana Boots')

To those who have used Long Grass clothing in Africa, how did it perform?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´ve hunted Africa yearly since -02 and clothes become less important every trip. My outfitter usually has shirts so I use them. Pants are just green cotton pants. Boots and socks (liners+hiking socks) are important so I use Rogues -thay also make great hats and buying stuff in SA is just so much cheaper.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Memnon,

Are those prices in Zimbabwe dollars?

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Except for the Swarovski items, all seem to need to have the decimal point moved one space to the left to be considered inexpensive.
Eeker shocker

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 122 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 20 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carhartt has served me well. All cotton, including the thread. They also do well in the thorns. Available in appropriate colors.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going through WDK you should stop by the Safariland shop suggested above, even if you already have everything. It's a neat store and if you need something you forgot, chances are they have it. They also altered my new pants while I had coffee.

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TAG has a nice small shop here in Houston. I'm quite partial to their shirts especially. I do like the pants since I've lost a bit of weight, but they were a tad tight in the rear at first as they seem to have been made in Zim for an African build. No complaints on durability, although I've heard some say the buttons fall off. No problems here. I've also heard one gentleman complain that the dye lots didn't match. That's true enough, but they're still green. Very comfortable stuff overall.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i wore a khaki linen long sleeved shirt my wife picked up from tj max for about $20.00. think it was a ralph lauren 2nd. just rinsed it out every night. courtenay boots and boyt cotton pants, green.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I wore Mountain Khaki pants/shorts and TAG shirts. The MK pants held up well, the TAg ripped in thorns. I wear the same stuff here.

Don't forget the Bwana Bob hat.

I bought a pair of TAG green pants. They're pretty flimsy, if you're used to Cabela's and Levis' stuff. Won't last long, but are very comfortable in the Selous in September. Tsetse's drill right through them, though.

And the buttons fell off one of those SCI TM'd Boyt shirts. Inexcusable, for what they get for them.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Granted I've only been to Africa once, but I really liked the 511 tactical pants - they have great pockets, hold up really well and the color choices are super. I really liked the walnut, it's a nice brown and worked well in SA

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have used cabela's and real tree stuff they seemed to work well, but after my 6 trips, I found the tag stuff with mil spec OD M85 jungle trousers the best. I used a brand called tru-spec in 100% ripstop worked a treat ($30 a pair)... they even had cheap OD combat shorts so i got those too. 2 shirts, 2 tshirts (OD), 2 combat trousers, 1 pair shorts and lots of good socks and i was done for 10 days.(oh and one set of camp clothes and flip flops)

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice!

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote