Notify
Tools

Re: Home for a 458 Lott
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Quote:

hi-
UPS won't ship a gun to a person, only a business with a license. they will ship expensive guitars, in gun like cases. hint hint. send it ground so it won't have a chance of x-ray.

If selling across state lines, only ship it to an FFL dealer. Keep it legal. It's just not worth it to get in trouble over something like this.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a good client that wants to sell his 458 Lott due to the fact that his Eye doctor tells him he should not shoot big bores anymore due to cataract surgery. He asked me if I know anyone that might be interested. I told him about the DG nuts on AR so if anyone is interested please Contact John Friedman at johannes@raex.com.

In John Friedman's words:

"I had the gun built for the buffalo hunt you booked for me a few years ago by Don Ballenger, a very well known gunsmith in Fl. Here are the detail. Shoots either 458 Lott or Win Mag. Built on a Weatherby Vanguard Action, 23 inch Douglas barrel with barrel recoil lug, New England Custom Gun Co. barrel mounted sling swivel base, and hooded ramp front sight, filed to exact point of impact with 525 gr. load, checked two panel bolt by Ballenger. Blackburn magazine bottom metal ( holds 4 3.600 full length shells + one in the chamber) and follower with checkered release. ( I did not like the flimsy and short aluminum magazine and guard which originally came with weatherby action) Boyd utility style brown laminate glass bedded uncheckered stock with ebony plugged Talley crossbolt, C&H mercury recoil reducer, and Pachmayr Decelerator pad. Talley bases. This is an extremely accurate smooth working rifle. Because of the recoil reducer in the butt and the weight, gun is pretty pleasant to shoot but I keep my loads down at bottom end 2150-- which is also about what the Hornaday 458 Lott factory ammo is. You can shoot it from a sitting position without being knocked backwards.

The gun with a small 2x scope and sling weighs 10.13. It shoots 1 1/8 groups at 50 yards or 2 1/4 at 100 yards. It might do better at 100 yards with a more powerful scope. Gun is in excellent condition and is mechanically as new. The stock shows a few handling dings and scuffs and the blue has ascrath on the guard bow, there is clod blue on the sight notch after filing to POA and a little wear on the bolt knob from loading and unloading.

I have $2200 into this gun and have alls the bills. I would like $1750 delivered by UPS in the lower 48. If you know of anyone looking foe such a rifle could you put them in touch with me? I can send e-pix. Many thanks. John Friedman

John sent me a few decent pictures and the rifle is beautiful from what I can tell. Please contact John directly as I just posted it for John.

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hi-
UPS won't ship a gun to a person, only a business with a license. they will ship expensive guitars, in gun like cases. hint hint. send it ground so it won't have a chance of x-ray.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
No, indeed.

The conversation would end with, "You are under arrest for felony violations of the Federal Gun Control Act of 1968. You have the right to remain silent . . . "

Sarge, unless you received those non-C&R firearms from a gunsmith to whom you had first sent them, the conversation would end the same way . . .

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

hi-

"We're from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and we'd like to ask you a few questions."

I don't think that's a conversation I'd like to have.

-Bob F.

http://www.atf.gov/

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I know that this sounds strange but the above is untrue. UPS has shipped firearms both to and from me and the only thing I have is a C&R. Not all of the shipped firearms were curios, either. Additionally, the USPS will also deliver a firearm if you are authorized to receive it . . . and leave it on the front porch, for God's sake!!!! Go figure. However, it is definitely a good idea to go through a FFL holder.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to start a pissing match here, but this is what I found:

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her state, if the buyer is not prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm, or to a licensee in any state. A firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-state source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser's own state?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-state source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's state of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

Source:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

Of course, I stand to be corrected.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get guns shipped to me all the time UPS. I do have an FFL. I also have had UPS leave two AR-15s on my doorstep overnight.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's right. Intra-state sales do not require a FFL. Now here in Kalifornia, the state would really prefer that all sales go through licensed dealers and I recommend that residents herein follow the rules. I also want to go on record that I don't know anyone who does.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a nonlicensee sells a rifle to someone, do you have to recieve a copy of there ffl prior to shipping it?

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hey Keith,

Way to go and stir up the group...on a topic that has been beat to death a hundred times. Just thought I'd give you a bad time.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Uh, I always get a copy of the FFL and keep it in my records. That way in interstate sales, my butt is concealed. Just incidently, it gives me an address for UPS or the USPS to take the thing, too. Is it required? If not, I don't want to hear about it. I'm going to do it anyway, just to make sure. BTW, the times I've sold or purchased guns without going through an FFL holder are (except in the case of curios and relics) long past. It's amazing what you can get away with when you're dumb and ignorant. Scary, too!

one of us
posted Hide Post
All firearms shipped must go from Dealer to Dealer, thats pretty simply, how that can draw an arguement is beyond me.....

The one exception is that you may ship a rifle from yourself to yourself anywhere in the USA, but only by post office...

And if ATF is reading these posts, Old Sarges a$$ is grass! That is a written confession

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
At the U.S. Post Office, anyone may ship a firearm to an FFL destination within the States (most anyhow). Done all the time, for sales, service, repair, what have you. New purchases from a Distributor require shipment to an FFL to ensure a "NICS" check and the freight-forwarding of a Form 6 approved import requires FFL's at both ends. I've had my FFL for 20 years.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
And if the import is over 50 years old, a C&R holder can get a Form 6 and import it "on an occasional basis" which seems to be interpreted as no more that once or twice a year. I know, I did, and got the Form 6 quite easily. Even the British government had no sweat with it. And I have never tried to ship a firearm interstate without an FFL holder to receive it. I may be ignorant on occasion, but I ain't that stupid!