New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who booked hunts at Dallas or Reno?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, spill it...who did you book with and for what?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't book this year, but payed off a hunt I booked last year.

1st four of us fly to Maun for a plains game hunt for Eland, Kudu, Gemsbuck, and Wildebeest fro 8 days. Then two of us are off to the Caprivi with Vaughn Fulton for non-exportable elephant, buffalo, and hippo for 14 days.

The only problem was my wife saw the check that I gave to Wendell for the trip.

Posts: 195 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I haven't booked yet, but Dallas narrowed the choices to three of who I will be booking with before the end of Feb.
clap

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At Reno, talked over a 2009 PAC ele hunt and possibly adding hippo with Buzz. For sure doing the PAC hunt with him just not sure what to combine with it. Big Grin

already got a leopard hunt in Namibia scheduled for this April clap

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PIERCE288
posted Hide Post
I booked a 14 day hunt for September 2008 with Africa Hunting Safaris (Ron Oliver) in Zimbabwe Matetsi unit 5. I will be hunting Buffalo, Sable, and Waterbuck. This will be my first time to Zimbabwe and my first time hunting Buffalo. I am so excited I can’t wait.

Illegitimi non carborundum

SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Club Life Member
NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 159 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: 30 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 14-day tuskless ele and buffalo hunt for me, and buffalo/PG for my hunting partner. August 2009 with Chifuti Safaris and Ivan Carter.

My first trip to Zim and the Zambezi Valley! thumb

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like some excellent choices...can't go wrong with Fulton, Carter, Charlton, Oliver, etc. Those guys are top notch. Also, great to hear that several of you are going to Zim for the 1st time. clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I booked a plains game hunt with African Hunting Safaris with Gerrit Utz of Namibia. Can't wait!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meet with who I am going with a few days before the shows. I am heading to Zim to hunt buff (both first time) in 2009 with Safari Trackers Zim (Rusty Labuschagne outfit.). Highbrass here on the AR forum and a few other friends are heading over. Quite excited and really can't believe I pulled the trigger and wrote the check.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I will be heading to the Selous in Tanzania for 21 days in 2009. I booked through Jeff Neal and we will be hunting with Fico Vidale. We'll be hunting for lion, leopard, buffalo, Elephant, Croc, etc.

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trying to put togeather 14 days in Moz. for 3 Pygmy Antelope, Chobe Bushbuck, Croc and Hippo and poss PAC Elephant or Lion.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
Got booked with HHK in Chirisa for buff, tuskless and plainsgame Setpember 2009.

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paid off my husband's debts (deposits) for his 2008 Marco Polo sheep/ibex hunt in Tajikistan and his Mountain Nyala hunt in Ethiopia with our own Rich Elliott for October 2011 (first opening).

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9477 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's good to see all of the tuskless hunts. That stuff is addicting.

The economy must not be as bad as some say...lots of big ticket items being mentioned...lions, Marco Polo, mountain nyala, 21 day hunts, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finalized the dates for this March-April in Doma with Gordon Duncan, for Elephant and whatever else we can rustle up in 21 days

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
booked 2 buff hunt in tanzania with pierre van tonder for 2008.

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just before Reno, booked a 21 day lion/leopard/buff/pg for a friend in Masailand with Luke Samaras in '09. I'm going along on a 10 day buff hunt.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I finalized some loose ends on a Sept 2008 lion/ele hunt in the Selous which included selecting and getting to know my PH. I'll be hunting with Luke Samaras Safaris.
Reno was also a good place to get flights and MedJet in order, too.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only problem was my wife saw the check that I gave to Wendell for the trip.

Smart to speak in very round numbers with the wife around, though I'm one of the lucky ones that pretty much gets a complete pass from the wife as far as my hunting is concerned (but then you can't say anything to the wife about what she might buy)

I booked for a buddy of mine and I 14 days in Chewore South with Chifuti for leopard, buff, hippo (Chewore North) and plains game. I'm hopefully on the short list for croc, though the quota was all sold out! Totally excited.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of lion hunts. Did the closing in Bots influence some of you to go for your lion ASAP?

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
Lots of lion hunts. Did the closing in Bots influence some of you to go for your lion ASAP?

I put a deposit on mine 2 years ago, which is before the Botswana closing of course. The only recent Africanism that about impacted me was the proposed surge in Tanzanian costs. I would have scratched my deal if that had stayed as orginally announced.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At DSC I booked a trophy bull elephant hunt in Zim with HHK in July of 2009. Mark one off my "bucket list". thumb

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ten days in Zimbabwe for my wife and I with Russ Broom Safaris, PH Rory Muil. Buffalo and cow elephant and whatever is still on quota in August.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
bought Johan's donated hunt(Bahati Adventures) at the auction- 10 days in Moz with trophies fees paid for croc, nyala, and red duiker. i can add buff and the other pygmy antelope for trophy fees only. plan on adding 4 more days and adding sable if i can arrange the time off.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of crl
posted Hide Post
I booked a 12 day hunt in Zim for July 09 while in Dallas. Going with Zambezi Hunters in the Save Valley Cons. Taking my teenage boys and wife. I am hunting Buffalo and the boys are hunting plains game and the wife is along for the adventure.

Crl

Posts: 379 | Location: MN | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
We didn't go to Reno or Dallas but recently we did booked a 21 Days hunt with Luke Samaras in his Masailand area through Wendell Reich. We will be going there in July this year for Lion, Leopard, 4 Buffalos and PG.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I booked with Wendell for 21 days in Zambia for lion and leopard in 2009.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I booked my 65th birthday present to myself with John Sharp for early June, 2009. Fourteen days for buff, sable and plains game in Zim.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At Dallas two of my hunting partners and I booked a hunt to Namibia with KOWAS, for 11 days this October. At Reno my dad and I booked 20 days in Zim for Elephant and buffalo in 2010 with Matapula, Mark Butcher for the second time. I know 2010 is a way out but they had no good dates before then. i

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Booked two hunts while in Reno. First safari in June 2008, 14 day elephant hunt with Kgori Safaris in Botswana and a 10 day two buffalo hunt with Luke Samaras in Masailand in Nov 2009. Bought a London Rigby in 375 H & H too! Lost my mine!

Posts: 385 | Location: So. Nevada | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't get to Reno, unfortunately I came down with shingles, but, via email, I confirmed my trip this May. Botswana for buffalo and plainsgame. I'll be joined by mmy friends Col. Chuck (USMC ret.) and DR. Joe. We will spend ten days in the Delta and then 5 days near Ghanzi. Go in on May 27 and leave June 14. We will hunt NG14 and NG20 and a private ranch. Outfitter is Mark Kyriacou.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 16 day hunt in the Caprivi Strip in Namibia with Vaughn Fulton scheduled and deposits paid for 16 days in September 2009. He is just all booked up and felt lucky to get in. Booked with him when he got in at the Dallas Safari Convention. Going to hunt Elephant and Buffalo and hopefully they will have lechwe available by then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
16 days in Tanz in the Kilombero with Paul Jelonek for lion, buff, croc, hippo. Have bull elephant if time warrants, as it probably won't. Oh well, good reason to go back in 2009.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This proves what I was wondering about...many of you are booking serious, big ticket trips in spite of the naysayers who say the economy is in the toilet.

It's really interesting how many lions have been booked just among those who have posted. Many concessions only get a lion or two for the whole year and it looks like the AR group is really hitting the lions hard this year. That's unusual and interesting.

Lions are typically a once in a lifetime trophy even for the well-heeled among us (with some exceptions). Sounds like a lot of you are punching your ticket and going for it in '08. thumb The rest of us are just going for elephants I guess. dancing

One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
Jonathan Hulme of Zambezi Hunters....15 day elephant hunt near the Gonarezhou. How can you say no to $34,500 out the door?

My 416 is smiling....Reno was great!

TJB

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I could hunt in my top 3 locations for elephant, one of them would be Gonarezhou. Very nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just prior to the conventions I booked a return trip to Masailand with Luke Samaras Safaris for 21 days in July of 2009.

Richard

Posts: 41 | Location: Memphis, Tennessee | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thebrewcrew
posted Hide Post
Five of us who hunted with Jonathan Hulme of Zambezi Hunters in May '06 will be going back in April 2010.

"He who goes unarmed in paradise
had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Posts: 33 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 23 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Dr. Tim - That is one of the hunts I was drooling over. Plus, you can add leopard for just trophy fees.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote