THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Tracks Across Africa Buffalo Hunting

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tracks Across Africa Buffalo Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Hi, I just watched an episode where Craig Boddington and two older marines were hunting leopard and buffalo. One of them made a very nice broadside shot on a buffalo. My question is: this was a broadside shot towards the rear of the herd with another buffalo right behind it in direct line of fire with the shot. Isn't there a real concern of wounding the second buffalo? I'm thinking my 570g TSX at 2300 fps would most likely pass through the first buffalo doing a lot of damage but still might wound the one behind it? Would that be a reason for me to shoot 570g Woodleigh soft points at 2150 fps rather than the TSX's if I go after buffalo or should I stay with the TSX and just not take that shot?

These are total newbie questions, no criticism intended at all, since I've never hunted buffalo, don't know what caliber or type of bullet the hunter was shooting, just wondering ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
"Parallax is a displacement or difference in the apparent position of an object viewed along two different lines of sight, and is measured by the angle or semi-angle of inclination between those two lines."

That said, it looked like there was a buffalo behind the one targeted, but the P.H.'s involved are top-notch guys and I'll defer to their judgment. For a million reasons (having to follow up on a wounded and mad buffalo not being the least of those), shooting two buffalo at once just isn't worth the risk for those guys. I'll bet the angle on the buff was a bit different that what "apparently" was seen on t.v.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Not directly related to this hunt, but, bullets are very likely change direction after going through an animal.

We make our own bullets, and our old version used to go through buffalo at almost any angle, except lengthways. I have seen these bullets penetrate a bull from the rear to the front of the neck.

Since then we have modified them so that they penetrate enough, but not enough to go through on any quartering shot.

Early this month, I shot a croc, and added an insurance shot into him. My second bullet hit the croc in the head, then changed direction almost 90 degrees, missing the head of a hippo far to the left of him.

We only saw this in the video afrewards.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a ton of experience with the TSX but have used them on Buffalo once and witnessed others using them. I don’t believe I have seen any of them exit. Even on broadside shots. All the PH’s I have hunted with liked them for Buffalo.

I still prefer the Cup Point on Buffalo and see no need to use any other bullet. They will pass through on a broadside shot so heard shooting can require some patience.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
FWIW:

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Chuck, I've had 2 TSX bullets exit a buff. 1 was a 570 TSX from my 500NE fired into the left hip, exited the right shoulder. Another 570 TSX fired into that same buff just prior to that one and approximately the same placement did not exit.

The second TSX that exited was a 300 gr. 375H&H on a Buff Cow, broadside at approximately 100 yards.

I've had a 350gr TSX from my 416 Rigby, at approximately 25 yards, on the point of the shoulder, not exit. Several additional 375H&H 300gr TSX's have also not exited on broadside or quartering shots.

It's a bit of a crap shoot as to whether or not the TSX will exit. If you're using that 500 Jeffery, I assume it will exit on a broadside shot.

For me, I've had such great performance with the TSX that the only other bullet I consider for Buff is the Banded Solid. Just my opinion. I would stay with the TSX and pass the shot into the herd or wait until it is clear behind him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem on Buffalo with Woodleighs out of either my 470, or .600 we know this because we've recovered every bullet from within the carcasses.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
What you as the shooter see and what the video sees are two different things. The angle of the camera is almost never the angle of the shooter. Consequently, what you see in the video is not likely the view through the shooters scope.

I've had a few professional vids made of my hunts, including the most recent which will likely be seen on one of the Danklef/Fulson/Boddington shows next season. And the cameraman is rarely positioned behind the shooter but rather off to one side or the other and sometimes a few yards further away from the game.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Slow that big bullet down to 2200 muzzle and wont have to worry about passthroughs... The magic number is 2150. That big 500 Jeffery will be devastating at the speeds over2000fps.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
What you as the shooter see and what the video sees are two different things. The angle of the camera is almost never the angle of the shooter. Consequently, what you see in the video is not likely the view through the shooters scope.

I've had a few professional vids made of my hunts, including the most recent which will likely be seen on one of the Danklef/Fulson/Boddington shows next season. And the cameraman is rarely positioned behind the shooter but rather off to one side or the other and sometimes a few yards further away from the game.

A continuation of that thought -
It's amazing that the sight line of your PH can be so different from yours even when standing right next to each other. Even more so since I'm 5'8" and the PH's I've hunted with have been 6'3", 6'4", and 6'6". Is it something in the water over there? lol

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Distinct possibility that the initial shot was a soft point. The Buff I got went down like that. 450 Dakota with a 500gr Swift A-frame at 2470 in the shoulder, then the old-style single driving band Barnes solids at the same speed.

JMHO,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote