THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    TravelGuard Sportsman's Travel Insurance

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TravelGuard Sportsman's Travel Insurance
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking into travel insurance for my trip to RSA in April. I like the TravelGuard Sportsmen's plan because it offers $2500 coverage for lost luggage (rifles), $300,000 for emergency evacuation, $25,000 for medical expenses, along with typical trip cancellation, interruption and delay coverage. This seems to be more coverage than I have found from other carriers.

Does anyone have experience with this company - good or bad? Is it a good company to deal with or should I consider another insurance carrier?

Thanks for any information,

Conewago

Posts: 121 | Location: Reading, PA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used them several times in the past and they have been easy to deal with. However, I have not had to file a claim with them. The coverage is good as far as the contract goes. Maybe someone who has filed a claim can chime in.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I went with TravelGuard 8 yrs ago on advice from a brother in law who is an Insuarance Broker. Luckily I have never had to file a claim in the 8 years i've used them but will continue till I hear something bad about them.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I did have to file a claim with them and it was quite difficult.

In 2000 I cancelled a trip to Zim becuase of the violence.

First I got a rejection notice because they said it wasn't covered because it classified as "civil disobedience' un covered claim.

When I pointed out that these were classified as acts of domestic terrorism that were covered they said...yeah but...there was prior public knowledge based on a "State Department Travel Warning"...(gee maybe standard excuse number two will work) I had to point out my policy effective date was three weeks prior to the first public announcement.

Then after that they argued about the documentation for the claim....

Throughout the whole procees hold times on the phone were horrific and I had to repeat the converstaion over and over...this was all over $500.

I honestly got the distinct impression that I was in the "make it difficult and the problem will go away" department.

Now here is the interesting part...I gave up on the claim and never sent them the additional documentation that they were insisting upon and two months later...I got a check for the $500.

The above strikes me as approaching "incompetence."

Somebody might want to check with Keith Atcheson with who he used last year he said he was very pleased with the process when I spoke to him last as I recall.

Just to be clear my claim was on cancellation not medical....wathc Keith will come back and say it was TravelGuard...LOL

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also used TravelGuard and had to file a claim. I was delayed four days in Cancun during a trip to Cuba (under license)and incurred hotel, meal, etc expense.

You might think Cancun would be really a nice place to be stuck in, but after 4 days of rain and hurricane weather, it's not so hot.

Anyway, TravelGuard denied my claim kinda like Mike's ... 'prior knowledge of the possibility of a hurricane'. Even though a hurricane wasn't declared until after the trip started. Back and forth with them, their requests for documentation, and a final 'NO'.

I won't use these folks again, for sure. Seems like all they want is your premium, then hire their staff to beat you out of any claim.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I send out CSA Travel protection, with my hunt packages, never have used them myself, and never made a claim..I don't know who has used them and who has not...Anyone know about them?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two bad expereiences are enough for me to exclude that outfit.I think CSA may be a better option, unless we hear differently.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our company uses CSA as well. www.csatravelprotection.com

I did in fact make a rather large claim last year after our run in with a buffalo and they were good about it. Especially in the first three weeks while hospital bound. They called me frequently and booked us on first class for the ride home which was the only way my wife could travel. However, like all insurance companies there is lots of paperwork to complete and if you do make a claim you need to be able to cover or guarantee most if not all expenses prior, keep your reciepts and then get re-imbursed. I mean keep EVERY reciept.

I think they did a good job but it took a few months to complete it but some of the delays were on my end. Check with your primary health provider to see what they cover. Then buy the supplemental travel insurance as well. No one should travel anywhere without knowing what you have IMO.

Interesting info about Travel Guard. They have been contacting me to tell our clients about thier product. Anyone else out there dealt with TravelGuard?

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

GO HUNTING NOW WHILE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY ABLE

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I went to africa last year we bought the travel insurance that AAA offers.It covered everything,including terrorist attacks.I also bought medjet for extra precaution.I think the name of the co. was accessamerica.

Buffalo,NY

<allen day>
posted
No matter what travel insurance provider you go with, I would certainly make sure that there's enough coverage to replace your rifles, hard case, scopes, etc. Most of these plans don't offer enough coverage for higher-end firearms.

I insure the my guns and accessories seperately, and through 'Sportsman's Insurance Agency, Inc.', 1-800-925-7767. Call and ask for Mr. Hollis Boss. An SCI member program is available........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone - Thanks for your input. That is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for.

Allen - Interesting suggestion. Would a separate insurance policy for guns, etc. create problems when filing a claim? Would each carrier wait for the other to pay first?

Conewago

Posts: 121 | Location: Reading, PA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Conewago,

Most insurance policies will have a clause that specifies that they will pay only after other [more specific] insurance is expended. And then if all applicable policies have similar such wordings they should all contribute proportionately. [ A specific policy on the guns will probably need to pay out first then all others will contribute towards the remainder, if any.]

Don't forget that your Homeowners policy will probably have some limited coverage for guns as well as the $1000 of coverage that comes with the NRA membership [increaseable @$1.66/$100 of coverage] and the very limited baggage coverage provided by the airlines - these should contribute too.

This is a standard proceedure, but will be dependent on the responsiveness of each separate insurance company and your ability to deal/communicate with them. It would be good to have an insurance agent somewhere in the mix to take your side.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I went w/ CSA also. I did file a claim for a "lost" (really stollen camera) & the pay out was pretty painless. I'll use them again when I go back, because we always go back. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Insure My Trip is any easy way to get quotes and make comparisons from several companies. Including CSA and TravelGuard.

They offer several kinds of insurance, trip cancellation and supplemental medical insurance.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the same Insurance Agency for over 30 years. Before I went to Africa I went to the office to get insurance on my double rifles that would be good anywhere on the planet.
My agent asked about my health insurance being good overseas. He suggested, and i agreed that I get what he called Missionary health insurance. I got a 1 million dollar policy good for 30 days for about $136.00 if I remember correctly. It also covers transportation to whatever hospital is required to take care of your injury.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also see Squaremouth

for a comparison of more insurance companies.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about MedJet Assist? Anyone have experience with them?

They claim that their coverage is without all the fine print.

Melody Rutkowski
Long Grass

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Melody,

Based on previous research, I think Medjet Assist is the best air evac available.

I keep it in force year round. Can you image being in a car wreck in California and requiring a long term hospital stay? Medjet will fly you to your home hospital.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Med Jet is not an insurance co. It provides hospital to hospital coverage. I do not think they will do much for a remote evacuation like we did in Zimbabwe though and that scares me. They have to have a suitable place to land thier aircraft. They have told me that they "might" be able to do it. Also it's an annual membership where Travel Guard and CSA is for each trip. They both have distinct advantages.

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

GO HUNTING NOW WHILE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY ABLE

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Keith,

You are correct. MedJet is just an air evac service. You have to be in hospital for them to come pick you up. Once you are stable and the doctors OK it, Medjet will pick you up in Johannesburg (or wherever) and fly you to your home hospital so you can recover there. For more remote air evac in Zimbabwe you need coverage by MARS.

Regards,

Terry