New
Find
Notify
Tools

BULLET CHOICE FOR ELLIE BRAIN SHOT?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
1 - In the more common double rifle calibers .458 .475 & .510 which bullet company makes the best penetrator of Elephant skulls?

2 - Now what about in the lesser used calibers .465 .483 and .488?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
500grains wrote a report on penetration with different bullets. It was a very informative read. I will try to find it for you. I think the flat nose solids came out ahead on the Ele skull but not by as much as on the heart lung shots due to less of a vapor bubble forming IIRC.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I was referring to the super cavitation effect where a gas bubble forms reducing friction on the bullet. Isn't that why FN solids out penetrate RN solids in flesh? I could be wrong but I thought that was the reasoning in 500gr's post.

Check out these links;

http://www.grosswildjagd.de/penetrat.htm

http://www.grosswildjagd.de/fundamen.htm

I am pretty sure the GS Custom website has more on this but for some reason it wont load at the moment.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
1 - In the more common double rifle calibers .458 .475 & .510 which bullet company makes the best penetrator of Elephant skulls?

2 - Now what about in the lesser used calibers .465 .483 and .488?

Use ANY full metal jacket bullet, they have been killing elephants for donkey's years.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you read 500 grains report you will see that Bulldog563 got it backward and that steel jacketed solids penetrated as far as flat nosed homogenous solids on ele head shots but not quite as far on soft tissue shots. I have used steel jacketed solids (Woodleigh and Hornady)in 375, 468 and 458 diameters on buff and elephants with complete satisfaction. I will be using Woodleigh solids in 474 diameter in a couple of weeks on elephants in Zim.
I can find no listing for 468 diameter solids from Bridger, North Fork or GS. I haven't looked for the other calibers you mentioned. Woodleigh does make them all.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodleighs are the standard to which all others are compared and have been succsessful for years. You won't go wrong there.

That said, IIRC, 500 Grains test showed better penetration from flat nosed bullets in elephant skulls too.

450 NE No2 is in Zim trying some of each and has 12 elephant lined up. Can't wait for his return and report!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Saeed beat me to it. Flat nose bullets are probably better from a straight line penetration standpoint but one should worry more about placement than bullet brand. Any strong solid will do.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf,
Thanks for the crash course in elephant cranial anatomy.

I agree with you on the bullet penetration theory as stated. I am an old dog open to new tricks, though maybe a little slow in learning them.

Is there any validity to shoulder stabilization of a flat nosed solid traversing a varying/nonhomogeneous impact medium?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigFiveJack,

PM sent to you.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote