Find
Notify
Tools

Back from Namibia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted
Have returned from my hunt in Namibia. Kansimba Lodge is quite a place. The hunting and hunt area was spectacular. Great time with my son who was in total awe. Will post a report as soon as I get caught up with work.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Welcome back. If you only had half as much fun as I did in Namibia last month you still had a great time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
30ott6, isn't that with Fred and Rose?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Yes, Fred and Rose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you hunt mainly on their ranch? If I recall isn't it about 20,000 acres? I talked to Fred and he seamed like a GREAT, up front guy but I've hunted that size a farm in RSA and was a little turned off about doing it again. Now that you've been there whats your thoughts? How much game did you see?

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to hear more and see some pictures John - sounds like a real good time! Smiler

Mark - This is from an email I had recieved from Fred a few months ago:
"Our ranch is 25000 acres in size with quite a diverse habitat and terrain, ideal for the glassing and walk/stalk type of hunt, which is the way we conduct hunts here. Believe you me, it is "Fair Chase". We do the hunting of the Eland and Mountain Zebra and all the other animals on our ranch, we do not have to travel else where which helps in not loosing any hunting time by traveling. We do use as normal, a vehicle to move around the property, but, no shooting is done from the car ever. We do use blinds occasionally, only for the sole purpose of trying to shoot a warthog, should we not be successful on foot, which happens quite often, as you could relate to this, these are extremely weary animals and always on the move. I can tell you that even within a fenced area such as this, the hunting is always challenging and not always does the client fill his bag, but goes away satisfied."

The day rates at that time were $230/day 1x1, and Fred was offering some NICE packages which I have posted at: Kansimba Game Lodge - Hunting Price List 2005

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, and I'm looking forward to the photos and story also Big Grin

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Mark-

Just like Bill posted. Never did I feel like I was in a fenced in area. The terrain included mountains and the fence line went onto the opposite side. Believe me, you didn't want to walk that far! We saw alot of animals but they had plenty of room to roam so were well dispersed. The Burchell's Zebra were amazingly difficult but I finally got one on the 6th day.

We used a blind only once, late in the day. My son wanted a jackal so we hid out one afternoon until dark over a waterhole. No luck.

All of the hunting was as Fred described. Spot and stalk. Some stalks were short and some were long. Some successful, some not.

I can tell you this, I would go again. As you will see, the accomodations are first class. But beyond that, Kansimba has some extrememly good trophy quality, a great staff and the terrain can be challenging.

I hunted with Fred last year (at a different place) and again this year because he is one helluva PH! Has been doing this for 27 years and I learn alot from him.

Will get to my report and pics very soon!!

John

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Photos?

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Hope to have pics soon. I will post them in the Hunt Reports forum. Stay tuned!

John

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
For 30ott6.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Have also posted pics with explanations on the Hunting Reports forum.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Atta Boy John! clap

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Thanks Harry. Better pics on the Hunt Reports forum. It wouldn't have been a succesful hunt without my Tuffpak, Tuffsak and optional handle.

By the way, I will be emailing you a couple of pics of my Tuffpak On Safari.

John

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
What a nice group of animals. That looks like a great Eland. Actualy, everything looks nice.

Posts: 6259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote